2 comments

Drama Sad Suspense

Author note: this is based on a book I'm writing I I haven't written in a loooooong time. - Lana Augustine

Kay wasn't stupid. She knew how Hikaru's family operated. They all hated each other but they were willing to put that aside for public image. Hatsumomo Hitachi was the Genghis Khan to family and ruled with a heavy-handed authority. Everyone knew that Eric Hanson Hitachi was just a figurehead. Everyone knew that Hatsumomo was the one with all the money and power.

They all knew that Eric didn't do shit without Hatsumomo's approval, but no one ever said that out loud. People were too scared to say anything opposing to the Hitachi's. No one really liked Hatsumomo but they feared her. They feared the things she could do to them, they feared losing everything if she said so.

You wouldn't get any deals, support, or coverage if you got on Hatsumomo bad side. Celebrities would outright ignore you like you didn't exist.

Kay especially hated her and Hatsumomo never missed a moment to tell her how little she cared for her. It was a mutual agreement but when it came to public perception they were willing to put it to the wayside.

Being around his family was like walking into a viper pit. The Hitachi's were calculating, manipulative, and greedy. They hated when things didn't go their way and if you stepped a foot out of line they would be right there whip in to whip you back into it. Kay was willing to put up with it for Hikaru. She was willing to put up with all the bullshit for him. But that all came to a sudden halt when the news broke.

Secrets that were never meant to get out came out as soon as the news hit that the Hitachi's where running drugs through L.A. Something Kay had been privy to a long time ago, but what Kay wasn't supposed to know was that Hikaru was about to go down with the ship. She was about to be caught right in the crossfire.

Hikaru stood across from her with a dark look on his face as he quickly shut the t.v off. He turned to her and sat the remote down and attempted to grab her hand.

"I need to tell you something." He said blinking away forms of tears. She held breath and keep him at a distance. She didn't like the sound of his voice. He was about to tell her something that would send her world crashing around her. She didn't say anything. Her heart skipped in her chest her mind raced.

She could feel it in her bones that something bad was about to happen.

"I want you to hear it from me before you hear it anywhere else." he took a deep breath and tried to take a step towards her.

"I want you to stay where you are." She quickly stepped back and shook her head. he sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. She hated it when he looked at her like that. Pleading with her through his eyes.

"Fine- Just promise me you'll hear me out." He waved his hands in a defensive motion. She only nodded.

"I'm going to be arrested tonight." she blinked and tensed up he mouth went dry. Suddenly the room had gotten cold she wanted to throw up.

"I've been lying to you for the past three years." he cleared his throat. "Tae was home that day when I told you he wasn't" He looked her dead in the eyes. Her heartbeat only gotten faster, her palm had gotten sweaty.

"I killed him." she took in a breath of air and leaned onto the wall. Her legs almost went out from under her. Tae-Yang Haung wasn't perfect, he was abusive, he was an egomaniac, narcissistic, and extremely emotion manipulative. But he didn't deserve to die.

"W-what?!" She could believe the words that were coming out of his mouth. She felt like she was in a warped reality. She had to be dreaming none of this could be real.

Just a week ago she and Hatsumomo had been wedding dress shopping much to Hatsumomo dislike. Her and Hikaru had just been sitting down planning their wedding over dinner. They had just made promises that were never going to be fulfilled. Everything had been perfect these past few days and now everything was crashing down.

"I killed him and my dad got rid of the evidence, my mom kept the Haung's distracted and paying off the feds to keep them off our trail for the past few years." She laughed. She could believe this.

This wasn't REAL!

"You weren't supposed to find out like this- You weren't supposed to find out ever."

She stood there mouth agape, in shock, in horror, in complete dismay. She quickly took off the engagement ring and threw it at him. Anger wasn't the right words she would use to describe this feeling she was feeling. She was feeling a mix of emotions.

It was like being hit with a sledgehammer right in the chest. She couldn't even bring herself to speak. All she could do was cry and scream. All he could do was watch and continue speaking as he attempted to explain himself.

No justification could ever make this right. Nothing he could say or do would make her feel any different. He was just like his mother. Manipulative and calculating.

"I've been sleeping with you!" She screamed at him. She wanted to run but she couldn't move.

"You've been lying to me!" she balled her hands up at her side shaking.

"You killed him, he was your best friend." she shuddered.

"You don't understand Kay!" he said sharply shifting on his feet. He couldn't bring himself to look at her.

"I don't understand? You killed someone." She felt numb. "He was a piece of shit but he didn't deserve to die for it!" She let out.

"It wasn't about you, he was going to die anyway." She didn't know if that was supposed to make her feel better. It didn't it only made her feel worse. It only made her feel sick as she thought about their relationship. All the kisses they shared, the lovemaking, the promises. She swallowed the stone in her throat.

They had been through hell and back together. Only for hell to come up back behind them and smother them both in a blazing fire.

"He's been on a lot of people radar for years Kay. The Mexican cartel put a twenty-five million dollar bounty on his head." He could stay still she had never seen him so fidgety and unfocused like this before.

He sighed and rubbed his temples he was contemplating something in his head.

"I need to get you on a plane out of the states." he finally looked her in the eyes. She wasn't about to go and get on a plane with him. Not after what she just found out.

"I'm not going anywhere with you! Are you crazy!" she said in disbelief. Did he think she would go anywhere with him? He had to be absolutely crazy.

"You have to you. he pleaded.

"No!" she shouted

"You're going to go to jail with me if you don't. You know how Hollywood is Kay. You know they're going to say you set me up to it. Please." He strained.

she didn't know what to do. She couldn't even think straight with everything going on. Everything was happening too fast. Her world was crumbling right under her and she didn't have anything to hold on to.

October 16, 2020 21:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

AJ Hensley
03:31 Oct 27, 2020

Great story Lana! Your writing is clean, concise, and structured in a way that enables the reader to follow along closely without any jarring transitions. Your pacing and quick and steady and I enjoyed reading through!

Reply

Lana Augustine
22:36 Oct 27, 2020

Thank you! I haven’t written in months so the feedback is nice. 🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.