John Maxine: The story of a golden child.

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about change.... view prompt

0 comments

General

John Maxine: The story of a golden child.

               (A narrative story)

John had always been a loving son, a great brother and a helpful friend. Of his four brothers, he was the most lofty, the most charming and the most endearing. At age four, his hands began dancing on the keys of a piano. At age seven, he began composing songs for his school choir and local churches. At age twelve, he went on his first tour. At age eighteen, he contemplated retiring from music. At age twenty-one, he retired. 

This story is of a lad considered to be a golden child; John Maxine. 

John and his four brothers lived with their parents in a small town called Blairsville.  His parents were neither poor nor wealthy. They owned a small shop where they sold coffee and cakes. 

At a young age,  John developed a keen interest for music. 

“I want to play the piano!” He would always tell his parents. So his parents took him to the local church they worshipped in, where he began his piano lessons with the church’s pianist. At the age of four, he had mastered the keys and chords of the piano that he began sight reading. 

He excelled at everything. He had excellent grades in school, helped at his parents’ coffee shop and assisted people around, even at a tender age. Everyone knew John Maxine, and they loved him.

“You should be more like John Maxine.” Parents reproached their recalcitrant children, even those in their teen-age.

Children flanked around John, trying to curry into friendship and it worked because John was as friendly as Santa whilst teenagers were angry at the kid whom they were always compared with.

His brothers, from the eldest: George, Derek, Michael and Andie were seething with fury. They were jealous at the attention everybody, including their parents showered their youngest brother.

Each brothers had an age difference of two years, that by the time John aged seven years, his eldest brother, George, was fifteen. With his remarkable fervor for music, John had composed different songs. He was so popular, that everyone wanted to meet the famous kid composer.

Although, John seemed to be smitten by everyone, he strived for his brothers’ affection but they despised him for the attentions he had, and hated him for their lack of talents. Years passed by, and good fortunes fell upon their household through John. He was discovered internationally and soon, toured around the world which infuriated his brothers even more. 

Their anger made them unsuccessful, lazy and dependent. They did nothing. They became idle; even so, they lived of John’s wealth and fame. Their daily activity was to conspire against their brother, John. 

The only thing successful amongst them was arising everyday from bed, for their meetings always wreak havoc and they end up quarreling with themselves. 

Their parents, endlessly rebuked John’s siblings for their conspiracies and cautioned them about their hatred. 

They always say things like, “George, you’re the eldest, why don’t you speak good advice?”

“John has shown you nothing but love, why despise him?”

“We’ve loved you all equally, why allow your brother beg you tirelessly for reciprocated affections?”

“The Lord says we should love everyone, why hate your brother?”  But they ignored their pleas, and the advices fell onto deaf ears.

For a loving and kind heart as John’s, the world was somewhat unkind to him for he was constantly betrayed; by strangers, by friends, by his brothers. The only sense of true love he ever felt were his parents’. 

As he grew older, he became lonelier. When he isn’t chitchatting with his parents over the phone, his only companion was the sound of his piano. On his eighteenth birthday, he announced to his manager, “I wish to retire cause it seems everyone wants something from me. They’re like ticks, always sucking blood except in this case, it’s either money or something else. My own brothers don’t even speak to me!”

But his manager who foresaw large deals and huge inflow of money that would be lost if he retired convinced the depressed lad into changing his mind, “it’s all part of life, it only makes you stronger! Clear those thoughts off your mind, as long as you have music and money, trust me, you have all you need.”

Two years later, his parents were involved in a car accident that claimed both lives. It was a sad period. It was the only time his brothers ever called on him. His parents demise shattered him totally that he fell into depression. It affected him wholly. His musical career went downhill, that his manager persuaded him into retirement, which he did. The news about his retirement made his brothers rejoice. 

John’s life became miserable, even with the wealth he had. During the day, he pondered on why his brothers and everyone he loves, hates him and at night he fell into drunken stupor. Days rolled into weeks, weeks became months and months snowballed into years. It was an endless cycle. On the third year, fifth month and second day of the week after the death of his parents, amid his drinking sessions, he fell into a trance. He dreamt of his childhood days, how he had always been happy even when his brothers rejected his offers to play with them; Of how music made his soul feel relaxed whenever he felt lonely; of how his parents always encouraged him to pray, especially in his loneliest days. When he awoke, he wept aloud. He wept for he once had a happy soul, and had no idea when it all changed. What went wrong? He thought.

When there was no more tears left to cry, he decided within himself and promised, “Henceforth, I’ll never allow anyone determine my happiness. I’ll be an epitome of love and light, even if everyone around me behaves otherwise. I’m the captain of my life, and only I, determine how this ship sails. And it’s sailing to greatness. Amen.” After what seemed like a prayer, he picked himself up, walked into the bathroom to have a cool shower. For the first time in a long time, he laughed genuinely. He laughed so hard, tears began to roll down his face alongside the water from the shower.

That night, he concluded on traveling to a new, small town where he could start afresh. He wanted a small town with beachfront where he would relax. After endlessly surfing the net, he settled for The meadows, Florida. He made the trip within three days.

Meanwhile, his brothers tried effortlessly to get through to him. After John retired and fell into depression, there had no means of income so they became miserable. George’s fiancée broke off the engagement with him on the account of him “not being able to meet her needs.” 

They had been so dependent on John’s prosperity, they hadn’t thought of how to fend for themselves. They were dejected and hopeless, and if not for their parents, would have been homeless. With the misery they lived him, they felt empathetic towards their brother and regretted their actions. But every efforts getting through to him was futile. 

For John, The meadows revealed to be a great choice. It was beautiful; the beach-houses, the beach and the ladies. Ever since the promise he made to himself, he gradually convalesced to his old happy self but was wary of people.

On a sunny Saturday afternoon, during one of his regular visits to a local restaurant, his eyes fell on a pretty lady that walked passed him. She wore a ring on her left hand. Too bad, she’s married. 

He stared after her that he bumped into a tall, slender woman. She had a short blonde hair that barely touched her shoulders. She wore a loose black top on a pair of skinny jeans with black leather boots. She would fit for a model. He thought.

He apologized earnestly, “ I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you coming.”

She took off her the vintage dark-rimmed sunglasses, which revealed her sky blue eyes. She had the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen and the loveliest glossy lips.  

She retorted, “Of course, you were blinded with lust. How else did you expect to see me coming?”

He blushed in embarrassment, “I don’t normally stare after women. Don’t know what came over me.”

“Once again, I’m deeply sorry. Can I make it up to you over lunch?” He offered.

“No, thank you. You don’t have to put up this act. I know you’re interested in married women. I’m definitely not your spec.” She rolled her eyes.

“I can tell you’re angry, and I’m determined to make it up to you over lunch. That way, I’ll be at peace that you’ve forgiven me. And you might get to know my spec.” He said with a charming smile.

After several minutes of consideration, she accepted the lunch date.

“I’m Jay Max.” He introduced himself as they settled into one of the seats in the restaurant.

“Lauren Reynolds.” She replied with a smile. And he thought she had a lovely smile, so he told her as he watched her blush to his compliment. After hours of talking and laughing, these two strangers turned into friends, and it turned out to be an amazing date. So he requested for another date, and she agreed. 

On what seemed like their umpteenth dates, John had gained substantial knowledge of her like she’s an only child, she grew up in New York City and she owns a dance studio in the city but she’s only here to teach a couple some dance steps for their forthcoming wedding. 

“You should attend the wedding. It’s tomorrow and it’ll be lovely seeing you there.” She told him, as they settled next to each other on the beach sand. They sat facing towards the endless horizons of the ocean watching the sunset. 

“I’ll try to.” He mumbled a response. He hasn’t been completely honest with her. For starters, he told her his name as Jay Max instead of John Maxine, always avoid personal questions about family, avoid inviting her over to his apartment. He was beginning to fall in love with her but from past experiences of how people reciprocated his love with hate, he tried so hard to stifle the emotions although he couldn’t help not seeing her. 

“Why don’t you talk about your family, Jay. Don’t you trust me?” She asked him

“Of course I do, it’s just that I....uh”

“It’s just that you don’t trust me.” She interjected.  So he told her about his family; about his brothers and their attitude towards him. 

“The last time I ever spoke with them was at my parent’s funeral.” He ended his story, and they were both silent. 

She laid her head on his shoulder and touched his hands. “I may not know the feeling of having to strive for a sibling affection, but I know what it’s like have disagreements with your family. What I’ve learnt is no family is perfect, we argue, we fight. We even stop talking to each other at times, but in the end, family is family and the love will always be there. I suggest you call your brothers.”

“Sure. You don’t know what it feels like to beg for love. To be constantly pushed away and rejected. You don’t know how it feels to be betrayed when all you’ve done is love everyone because you’re an only child else you wouldn’t have made such suggestions!” He retorted angrily and immediately he regretted his actions so he tried to apologize but she walked away.

The following day, at the wedding, he tried apologizing but she ignored him. 

“You’re John Maxine!” A guest shouted. Immediately the groom recognized who he was and invited to play at his wedding. But by the time it was over, Lauren had said her courtesy and best wishes and left the wedding hall.

Several attempts to talk to her were futile. He called her cellphone, left countless voice mails but none were returned. Then he stared at his cellphone for a long time, scrolled up to George’s cell number and press dial. His heart pondered, and it pondered even faster when it rang. He stood frozen when it connected.

“Hello? Who’s this?” The voice was bold and clear. It felt so good hearing George speak after four years.

“Hello George, it’s John. How you doing?” They talked and talked for a long time, and promised to reunite with them soon.

“L.R Dance Academy.” He read out the words. Lauren always talked about her dance studio whilst at The meadows, so he inquiries about her and her studio, booked a flight to New York City. Now, he is standing at the entrance into the studio. 

He stared at his wristwatch. 5:05pm. Her dance classes closes by 5:00pm, he read it on her website. So John walked into the building, onto the flight of stairs into a room marked ‘Rm A’.  Lauren was addressing a student, so he waited at the corner of the room. When she was done, she walked towards him.

“Hi. What a surprise, wasn’t expecting you.” She said surprised.

“Hello Lauren. How’ve you been?” He asked.

“Don’t tell me you came all the way to New York to ask how I’ve been.” She replied.

Moving closer to her, he held her hands then said, “Lauren, I’m sorry for what I said to you at The meadows. I took your advice and I called my brothers. You were right, there would be nothing above family.”

She withdrew her hands from his and wrapped it on her chest. “I’m happy for you. That’s good to know.”

But he continued, “Lauren, I’ve always cared for people, but usually get betrayed.     But you, you were so understanding and compassionate, I thought it was a facade. That was why I became defensive and reacted maliciously towards you. I’m deeply sorry.”

“Why did you tell me a false name, Jay Max.” She asked.

“I didn’t. Jay is my initial for John, and Max is just Maxine in a shortened form. I just wanted to you to love me for me, but I messed it up. Please would you ever forgive me, I don’t want to lose you. You’re the best thing that has ever happened to me in a long time.”

She chuckled, “I forgive you.” Then she kissed him on his left cheek.  

Now I wouldn’t say John and Lauren lived happily ever after, for this is not a fairytale, but I can say their friendship grew strong bonds that they became inseparable. 

The End. 

June 12, 2020 22:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.