0 comments

Kids

Tom and Sam walked around the house. Then they walked around it again. It was boring because there Dad, who was napping and then their Mom, who was at work. 

Their Mom worked as a stunt pilot and was usually doing tricks over the football field to impress townspeople. She always got loads of money when she came out of her plane when she was finished. They kept the plane in their shed, that they had to expand. Once and a while Sam and Tom get to go on the plane too.

They decided to play hide and seek for a couple of rounds, and then they would go find Mom. Tom counted first. Sam ran all around the house looking for spots but couldn't find any hiding place. Finally, he went downstairs and hid behind a big office drawer. Pulling it in place, Sam noticed he was sitting on something. He pushed the drawer away and got up. It was a lever. Sam called Tom down to the basement and together, they pulled the lever. The wall rumbled a tiny bit and then opened up into a small doorway. It was a secret passage! Both boys got down on their hands and knees and crawled through the passage. They crawled through the door and got up. It was a staircase to the room at the end. They tip-toed down the steps and walked into the room. Sam and Tom jumped. They had a pack of cute kitties underneath their house! They looked around and saw it was like a kitty daycare! There was kitty toys, there was cat food, and there was a bunch of cat litter boxes. They all meowed and stared at Tom and Sam. 

Tom and Sam ended up just playing with the cats, the whole time. 

" Don't you think its a tiny bit weird, how there is a bunch of cats in our house, let alone the food and litter boxes?" Tom asked Sam. Sam shrugged.  

" I dunno, maybe someone even comes down here to feed them! I mean, it's not like they can open up the packages of food, and pour them some, right?" Sam responded after a while. 

Slowly, they crawled back up the stairs. And came out from behind the drawer and pulled the lever back, closing the door. They decided that later, they would go back. 

At 7:00 Sam and Tom snuck down to the basement and opened the door. Walking down the stairs, they heard food rustling and the cats meowing. They peeked in the door and saw the silhouette of a man. They came in the door and tip-toed closer. The man turned around and stared at them. It was their dad. "How did you find out about this, boys?" he asked as he put down the cat food. Picking up a black and white Maine Coon cat, he told his dad all about how they were playing hide and seek, and that they found the secret lever. Their Father then told them about why he had cats in the secret room. 

Just a few weeks ago, their Mom asked their Dad to shoo off all the cute alley cats that he had been leaving food out for, and so he went to the vet to make sure they weren't sick or anything. Then he took them home and made the secret passage. 

Tom and Sam decided to tell their Mom, to ask if they could adopt some cats. She said yes and all their cats came out from the passage. Their Mother stared at all the cats coming out of the basement. 

Next thing the boys knew, they are driving around trying to get people to adopt the cats because their Mom thought it was too many cats. Finally, they came home with 3 cats. One was the Maine Coon, the other was an orange tabby cat and the last one was a small tuxedo cat. 

Then the boys screamed " A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A!!!" Because two dogs tried to attack the cats. Tom pushed the pair of dachshunds away and Sam picked up the cats. They also gave away some of the litter boxes too, so they put the 3 litter boxes downstairs.

Finally, they let the cats explore the house, sniffing around, and scratching at things. Tom and Sam looked at the cats meowing and searching around and smiled. They went back to their room and started playing hide and seek. Sam was counting downstairs, and way up in the attic, Then tom realized he was sitting on something. He pushed the painting he was hiding behind away and got up. It was a lever.

May 26, 2020 20:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.