Undercover

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about a meeting of a secret society.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

"Loosen up." Chole giggles, grabbing two cups of some beverage. Probably alcohol. "Sure whatever." Jenelle rolls her eyes. She grabs a cup from Chole then scans the room. Most everyone was drunk or at least drinking. This was a college party after all. Jenelle takes a sip of her drink and then scrunches her nose up, "what was that?" Chole and her boyfriend Sam laugh. "That was my specialty, " Sam boasts, downing his own cup. "Sam baby do you want to see if we can find an empty room?" Sam grins and the Chole adds, "Jenny go meet since people, perhaps a guy." She wrinkles her eyebrows. Jenelle watched the only people she really knows at the party leave her alone.

 Jenelle sighs and looks around until she sees a guy she's seen before with chole. His face is in his hands and he's alone on a couch. "Hi, there!" She sits on the coffee table in front of him. He looks up and smiles, "Hello beautiful." Jenelle returns his smile "I've seen you around, haven't I? You're friends with Chole, right?" He nods "You're the girl she," he paused, "wanted me to meet, I'm Will." Jenelle giggled. "Really." She's sure he's lying but, She tucks a single of her hair behind her ear and puts her hand on his knee. She leans forward, and says, "Do you want to go somewhere where we can get to know each other, Alone." Will grins. Jenelle takes his hand and leads him to an empty bedroom. On the way there they grab a drink and shuts the door behind them. She walks to where he sits on the bed and sits next to him. She pulls his face towards him and kisses him. His lips are soft as clouds. Will pulled her closer. While he's distracted she spikes his drink with a little special something. She pulls away from Will and takes a sip from bet glass hoping he would do the same. And to her surprise and satisfaction, he does. One minute later he's passed out. He'd be out for an hour or two and hopefully will just think he drank too much. She quickly checks his chest and arms for a tattoo. Then she finds it. A small four leaf clover circled by a green snake. She adjusts her short baby blue dress, fixes her, hair and leaves the room, and Will. She looks around for Chole and Sam, knowing she's on the right track to knowing the truth. "Jenny there you are, " Chole says, "I was wondering if you wanted to join this club thing me, Sam and a couple of others are in. You'd be a perfect fit." Jenelle tries to hide her joy. "What club? What group?" Chile grabs Jenelle's hand "you'll find out more at the interview. Then you'll have to be initiated. But, this club will open up a whole new world of opportunities." Chile puts a little card in her hand then walks over to Sam. Janelle reads the card then leaves the party. "Are you sure you're making the right decision?" Sam asks Chole. "Don't worry she's the perfect candidate," Chole assures him.

A half an hour later Jenelle arrived in her home. She kicks her shoes off and writes down the event of that night. One could call it journaling, or one might say she was writing a report. But soon enough she finished and studied the card Chole gave her on it said interview: 9:00 pm tomorrow 663 Coleman avenue. Janelle went to bed prepared for the worst but hoping for the best.

Today was the first step in the process of Jenelle's so-called initiation. She arrived f ten minutes early wearing a burgundy knee-length dress with a deep v neckline. The building was brick and plain. "Jen so happy you made it." She looked to see her redheaded friend. Chole pulls her into a hug. Chole leads her inside. The inside of the building was fairly nice, it had shinily tiled floors with a four-leaf clover circled by a snake. There was a tall dark-haired man waiting by another set of doors. "Bentley, " Chole exclaims.MMM "Hi, I'm showing the interviewees to me Larkins office." "Oh well then let me introduce you, Jenny comes on over." Jenelle walked over and stuck out her hand, "I'm Jenelle. It's a pleasure to meet you." Janelle bats her lashes, then to her surprise Bentley brings her hand to his lips. "I'm Bently but you could just call me Ben." "I'll leave you to it," Chole says, waving as she leaves. Ben escorts Jenelle down a hallway and to where she should be interviewed. "So, if I'm accepted and initiated will I be seeing more of you," Jenelle asked in a flirtatious tone. Ben's ears turn red and he clears his throat, "yes suppose at the meeting, events,  and such." "Good," Jenelle smirks. "And don't be too nervous it's easy to like Mr.larkin, and for in I've only been in for four months, " Ben says   An old man opens the door and says, " Jenelle Johnson" she waves at Ben then follows the man into the room.

Inside the man introduced himself as Mr. Larkin, the President of the club still. Not specifying the name or purpose of the club. He asks her questions of all varieties like her religion, morals, job, what she wants from her future. He asked who invited her and what her favorite kind of music was. An hour later they were finished. Jenelle hopes she'd done well when he asked her two last questions. "Miss, Johnson you want to be a politician, so how far would you be willing to go to win a campaign?" Jenelle responded with, "as war as I need to win, "Good, " Mr. Larkin replied, " initiation is tonight at eight. It formal event and there will be a reception after"

Jenelle made it home an hour later, she plops down on her bed exhausted. She only had a little farther till she'd get all the evidence needed. Jenelle reaches under her bed and pulls out a small black box. Inside is a burner phone, her only form of communication to her boss.

Across the city, the police captain sits at his desk when his phone rings. "Hello," he asks. "Hi, Luis this is Sarah. I've got the address for your aunt and uncles. I'm meeting them at 8. Don't worry I'm safe." The caller pauses."I miss you, " she says softly "I miss you too, " the captain numbers. Click. The call was over. This conversation wouldn't make sense to anyone but the captain for one of three reasons. 1. The captain's name is Zechariah 2.he doesn't have an aunt or uncle 3. He would recognize that voice anywhere and the voice belonged to hope. Zechariah breathes a sigh of relief knowing that all his cops were safe. Including his undercover sister. 

Jenelle arrived at 7:45 back at the clubs

Headquarters. She was wearing a long green dress with a slit on her left leg that complements her dark skin. Her ringlets were in an elegant bun. And she had a gun hiding under the folds of her skirt and a camera bracket. She was prepared. She knocks on the door and a mid-aged lady let her in and pointed to the main room. There were 50 or so seats and very few people were here. She saw a glimpse of fiery orange hair in one seat next to a blond and immediately recognized Chole and Sam. She walks over to where they sat and says, "Hey guys" "hey Jen, nervous for tonight, "Sam asked. "Yeah a little," jenelle replies. They make small talk. People begin to trickle in and by eight most of the chairs were full. At eight the doors slam shut and Mr.larkin takes his place at a podium in the front. "Welcome ladies and gentlemen, thank-you members of the secret luck society for joining me in the ignition of our new members. Will all the uninitiated stand and form a line in the front." Jenelle and six others stand and make their way to the front. "Now in this community there are secrets laws may be broken if you're not okay with that, raise your hand. A tall Indian man raises his hand. All of unexpectedly Mr.Larkin aims a pistol at him. Bang. He falls back. A gasp came from another girl with long blonde hair who was standing next to him. The man was bleeding out on the floor and no one did anything. "Anyone else, " he asks. "No? Okay good, once your initiated things will seem to go your way, you'll have power. If you don't comply or try and be a 'good guy' what happened to him will happen to you, " Mr.Larkin announces. 

After the shooting, the rest of the night went without a hitch. The 6 were initiated, they swore an oath of Allegiance. And now it was time for the reception. Bentley asked jenelle to dance. "Of course, " she replies. They slow dance in silence until Ben says, "I know who you are, hope" Jennelle tries to hide her shock. He leans in and whispers, "I'm with the FBI, secret agent jones. I need you to help cover me while I get info from Larkin's office." His lips brush against her ear. "Please, " he begs, "this could be the end of this job, for both of us" " fine, but you owe me." after the dance is done he kisses her hand then leaves to go to the office. Jenelle goes to the hallway a few minutes after him to stand guard. She walking up and down the hall when she hears "Jen what are you doing back here?" Sam found her. "I'm, " she pauses, "looking for the bathroom" just then Ben walks out of Larkin's office. Sam's countenance is cold. He charges at them. "Run!" Ben and jenelle run down the hall. "Follow me hope " ben shouts. He takes a sharp left. Then right and they're behind the building but Sam is still on their tails. Ben jumps Into a car, hope gets in the passenger side. "Drive, drive, drive," she tells him. The wheels squeal as he pulls out. "I'm taking you to the nearest, FBI headquarters which is pretty close." Jenelle and ben both try to catch their breath. They get to FBI HQ in ten minutes. they're interviewed and by 12:00 they've both been debriefed. "Hey secret agent Jones, wanna know what you owe me, " hope teases. "It's Alex, and what do I owe you for helping take down a huge criminal organization. I really can't thank you enough" Alex says. "A date with you, " hope says. "A date, that's it?" "Fine two dates, " hope replies. "I'd like that, "

August 22, 2020 02:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.