0 comments

Science Fiction

Jeff had been a long-time volunteer at the Observatory. Today was going to be one for the books. His years of interest in space as a Space Engineer, working off-planet a good deal of the time during his career. Was definitely adding to the excitement, making this day more special.

"This will be so wonderful to see old friends, meet new people." He said as he reached the top step. Watching the Professor of Astronomy and Astrophysics. "Scientists teachers, astronauts, astrologers, professors, alike coming to our little corner of the world. But then, how often do we get to watch a once-in-a-lifetime eclipse of the brightest star in the northern sky." Jeff was polishing the handrails of the steps leading up to the giant telescope platform.

Dr. Jaco smiled, raised eyebrows. "I know, believe this is the first one since the beginning of time." She laughed, thinking WOW! "We are fortunate to have the new telescope diamond-cut lens in place and finished on time. I'm getting excited to see this tonight."

She sat in front of a computer that had many screens, buttons, and lights. Above the circular deck, were three giant view screens that showed everything the telescope was viewing. If you were standing on the platform you could watch everything.

"The professors, students, scientists, and doctors from Nasa III, as well as our own members, should start arriving by nine, maybe some sooner. I have invited TV and Newspapers from five countries, we are linked into them, think the event will be well covered." Jaco added.

"Are you almost finished? I would like to open the roof doors, move the telescope into position. It will get chilly fast." Jaco pressed a button on the computer to 'the hold position. "We'll have to remind to tell people to wear their coats up here later."

"Almost Doc." The elderly gentleman stepped up onto the observation deck, walked slowly around the platform with his dam cloth on the circular handrail. When he completed the circle. "Done." He stood head tilted up, watching the massive roof open.

"Are your great-grandchildren joining us tonight?" She asked with a smile.

"Yes, Brian, Jess, and Kilha, I think their parents too. Everyone is very excited, they feel privileged for sure. I'm going down. Have to check on the greeting area, which should be set up. Do you want the information brochures on the tables or handed out to our visitors as they arrive?" Jeff questioned.

"Both I think. It will be a nice touch if handed to them. More personal, one of our volunteers would love that job, maybe a couple of them. Oh, please make sure the guest book is there with a few pens. Did the caterers get here Yet?" Doc watched as the roof came to a halt.

"How many are we expecting?" He asked.

"Fifty-three sent an RRSP, but some phoned and asked if they could bring some important Astrophisist or Professor, so really I have no idea. Lots want to see this and have heard about our diamond cut lens. The capture should be crystal clear.

"That in itself is exciting, I better go make sure it is all the way you wanted Janice, see you downstairs. Everything up here looks good. Good luck tonight." He continued down the steps. Returned the bucket, wet clothes, and wipe towels to the storage room. Closed the door behind him.

Checked everything as he made his way over to the reception room. Two tables were set up, covered with clothes the color of the night sky, with tiny stars on them. On one a stack of plates, forks, napkins, accompanied by a cake shaped like a giant star with a small planet in the middle, sliced to perfection, waiting to be served up. A few different kinds of pastries. The coffee-tea dispensers were on the second table, along with juice and water.

There were a few small round tables and chairs. Then stacked chairs sat along one wall. Jeff walked outside, checking the area for buses, and parking, found it all cleared and manned. Thank goodness for volunteers he thought.

Made his way over to the office where he had left his NASA jacket, pulled it on over his vest, pulled up the zipper. Toucher the crest, under the crest the embroidery read, Jeffrey Williams Astronaut.

The sun was long past gone, the solar lights along the sidewalk guided people into the building. Lots of handshakes, storytelling, talks of past eclipses, questions about the huge full-color space photos that lined the walls. He was thanked by many, for his services over the years. Jeff was proud to be part of something so rare.

After greeting and chatting with many of the visitors she looped her arm through Jeff's. "Time Dad, let's go up and get this show on the road. Large screens were set up in the reception area for those that could not climb the stairs.

When it started, everyone watched with amazement as Pluto passed between earth and Capella. When centered Pluto looked like a black hole in the center of the brightest star seen from earth.

Although forty-seven light-years from earth, through the powerful scope, it looked like you could reach up and touch the brilliance. Pluto was backlighted with brilliant white light far too bright to actually describe.

All around it, spange millions upon millions of stars and galaxies. Blues, pinks, greens, rainbows of color filled the screens, dust, and vapors of the universe formed these marvel color swarms. Astonishing to view. Jeff recollected seeing this time and again, from the windows of the many space stations he visited, ever so many years ago. All coming back to him now.

The visitors on the platform each got a chance to sit at the base of the enormous telescope, look through the lenses to experience Capella up close and personal. Many took photos and videos. The historic moment had become a great fundraiser for the Jaco Observatory as well as put it on the map. Being a perfect place to see the stars from northern Canada. Often called The Land of the Midnight Sun. From September until April there was more dark than light. Allowing for thousand of hours of stargazing. In the summer, however, the sun never set. Hence the nic name.

The Capella Eclipse of twenty-one fifty-eight, lasted forty-two minutes sixteen seconds, everyone in attendance was in awe. The Universe never disappoints.

January 21, 2022 22:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.