Wild Kelpies in the sea

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write about an author famous for their fairy tale retellings.... view prompt

0 comments

Bedtime Friendship

Hugo listened and sighed. He listened closely; his breath was deep and slow, in the powerful rhythm of the waves of the evening sea rushing towards the stony shore. The diffuse twilight of an early spring evening made it hard to make out individual waves in the living breathing mass of the sea.

A family with two small children was gathering up their toys, before they left accompanied by the fading light. A lonely hiker was urging his unwilling dog to jump into the car, parked nearby. Eventually, all the noise died away, the lights of the cars lost themselves in the sky, until they were feeble fingers groping around the twilight.

Hugo sighed again, his face warmed by sweet remembrance. Caroline checked her watch for the umps-time and restlessly strolled up and down the small path made of shells and white pebbles that ran behind the bench on which Hugo was sitting and sighing. The path stood out against the darkness, but right now, she was insusceptible to the lure of this grand place.

“It is nearly dark, dad,” she remarked urgently. Her best friend, Sarah, was having some friend s over to celebrate her birthday tonight. She didn´t want to be late…

“Yes, darling, this is the best time.” Caroline directed her steps back to the bench. “The best time for what, dad? It´s getting colder by the minute.” Hugo smiled without diverting his gaze from the sea. “To glimpse them.”-“To glimpse what?!” Caroline retorted exasperated by her aging father. Truth was she couldn´t stand to see him age. She could not bear to see time nibbling at his brilliance, overgrowing it with senility. It made her feel so weak. This was why she dreaded family weekends, was afraid of what changes to her father this week might bring. This was also why she was desperate to get to the noisiness of Sarah´s party which would help her to forget the stale melancholy her father seemed to radiate.

This time her father turned around. His smile was still there, lighting up his eyes, mild sternness on his brow. “The Kelpies, of course. Have you forgotten all about them?” For a moment Caroline stared at him, half angry, half lost. But the memories of long bygone days spent at the seaside tugged at her, pulled her closer towards the edge of the cliff. The light was nearly gone, the fresh promising, but still cool, air of a late April evening by the sea made her shudder when she slid onto the bench next to Hugo. “No,” she whispered. “I haven´t forgotten.” Hugo saw her eyes kindled by the same light that made his shine like a beacon and nodded, satisfied, before turning back to the breath of the waves.

Caroline´s eyes were wide open. Her new green summer dress bore multiple stains defying her mom´s hope that grass stains would not show on a green dress. “There are two, dad! A mother and a young one!” She exclaimed excitedly, pointing with her chubby fingers. Hugo was kneeling next to her, one arm around her small shoulders to shield her from the sea breeze. “Yes, darling, I see them,” he said softly. “What do you think they are doing here?”-“Resting from their journey, of course!” Caroline exclaimed, impatient at her father´s lack of understanding. She became concerned. “They must have lost the others, their herd, dad.” Hugo smiled reassuringly and shook his head. “I don´t think so. Every year, one single foal is born to the herd of Kelpies roaming these coasts. And every year when the foal is one winter old, its mother accompanies it to the place where it is henceforth to guard its treasure.” – “Guard its treasure?” Caroline interjected excitingly. “We must search for the treasure.” – “No, not today. That would be very unfair towards the young guardian, wouldn´t it?”- “But how will it guard the treasure? Will its mother leave it?” Hugo inclined his head, thoughtfully, thinking that this might be the seed of a new story he could add to his volume of fairytales that was already approved for publication. He was still for a moment contemplating the unlikely turn his career as an author had taken a couple of years ago when he had decided to work with this brilliant Scandinavian illustrator and bring out a volume of fairytale retellings. Now, the stories would not leave him alone anymore. It was like suddenly his everyday life was flooded with a waggish fairy tint. Every time it was about to fade, his girls would reignite it for him. As Caroline had just done. They stood still on the cliff and observed the black Kelpie foal galloping over the waves boisterously, splashing the water against the cliff.

Years later, at another shore Caroline took the hand of her father. “’Their fur is glistening, wet from the sea where the last light of the day touches it. Their manes are like wild seagrass, spreading pitch black in the salty water.’” She quoted from her memory. “I think I see them, right there.” She said half teasing, half serious. Hugo pressed her hand. “Me, too,” he murmured. “We never returned to look for the treasure,” Caroline remarked. “Maybe you will go one day.” Hugo´s eyes were twinkling. “Dad, you should take up writing again.” Caroline said, suddenly hopeful. Hugo smiled, listened to the sea for a long moment and then sighed. “No,” he said decidedly. “I don´t need to. I live in fairytales now.” Caroline´s smile faded. “This is saddening and consoling in equal parts” she said accusingly. Hugo put his arm around her shoulders. “Don´t forget the Kelpies,” he said and his warmth dispelled the sadness rising in Caroline´s chest. She leaned against him, just like so many years ago. The fairy tint was still there, leaving a dim but perceptible shimmer on the beautiful landscape.

 “Let´s go. You will be late for your party,” he said, took her hand and pulled her gently towards the car.

April 08, 2021 15:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.