4 comments

Fiction Inspirational Middle School

Grace and Riley looked up as the sun was rising above the horizon.

โ€œGorgeous.โ€ Riley muttered as she looked into her sister's deep brown eyes, the exact same as hers.

Grace giggled as they looked at each other with affection.

Ever since they were born Grace and Riley had been like salt and pepper. Two unique minds combined into one. The twins looked exactly alike. The only difference was Grace had autism spectrum. She preferred to stay indoors at school and not go play outside as the others. Riley would always comfort her and give her company as the girls have lunch together but now Grace has to learn to be without Rileyโ€™s support soon enoughโ€ฆ

***********************

โ€œMother, Gracie wants some toast.โ€ Riley walked into the kitchen seeing her mother toast the bread and dabbing a handful of melted butter as she sprinkled some cinnamon powder on top as she handed it over to Riley.

โ€œMom are you OK?โ€ Her motherโ€™s eyes were red and droopy as if she had been crying all night.

โ€œ...Ya, Iโ€™m fine...now go on, Iโ€™ll make you one too.โ€ And with that her mother got down to making another toast.

Confused with her motherโ€™s odd behavior Riley brought out Graceโ€™s breakfast.

โ€œT...Thanks.โ€ Grace managed to say as she smiled politely. Grace was learning to reciprocate and talk like others. She went to a special class where they taught her how to collaborate with kids her age and not sit out.

โ€œBut...I have Riley.โ€ She would moan.

โ€œYes, but Riley canโ€™t always be here for you Grace.โ€ Her parents would often say.ย 

Riley would roll her eyes...she had promised her sister she would be there for her as long as Grace wanted.

Riley turned on the TV as her father came into the room. He was a mess, one of his shoes was missing, his socks mismatched, his hair flying all overโ€ฆ

โ€œDaddy....messy.โ€ Grace pointed out.

โ€œYea I know kiddos, had a bit of a downfall, couldn't sleep at all last night.โ€ He said that as he glazed over at his wife who gave him an annoyed look back and started to plate the toast for Riley.

โ€œWell Iโ€™m off to work early.โ€ Their dad said as he kissed them both on the forehead and grabbed his jacket on his way to the door and closed it behind him.

Why didn't dad say bye to me? Riley thought as she grabbed her breakfast and dribbled some maple syrup over it.

Mom and dad are acting weird towards each other...they don't even talk to each other.

โ€œRileyโ€ฆ.what are you thinking?โ€ Her sister asked worried.

โ€œNothing.โ€ Riley blunted quickly before her sister could ask more irrelevant questions.

Luckily Grace lost interest in Rileys inner conflicts as she soon finished her breakfast and placed the plate in the sink and headed out to her room.

Riley finished hers as well and she was about to drop her plate off at the sink and leave when she saw her mother.ย 

Her mom was actually crying...which she rarely did.

โ€œMom?โ€ Riley went to comfort her mother who at the sight of her daughter began to wipe her tears off and paste a fake smile.

โ€œYes honey, can I get you anything?.โ€ Mom asked in her sweet voice, the one she used when she wanted to lead someone away from a disturbing topic but Riley didn't fall for it.

โ€œWhat's wrong?โ€

โ€œNothing.โ€ Her mother replied, not able to meet her daughter's eyes.

โ€œPlease tell me, I know some things up.โ€ย 

Her mother signed.

โ€œWhy did I need such an observant daughter.โ€ Her mother fake-complained, her sorrowful expression still the same as she kissed Riley on the cheek.

โ€œHoney, donโ€™t tell your sister, sheโ€™ll freak out...promise?โ€

Riley hesitated, she has never kept secrets from Grace before...but this must have been a very important topic...only then would her mother have said not to tell Grace.

Riley nodded as she gave a confused look at what her mother had to say to her odd behavior.

โ€œYour dad and I...we decided we couldn't be together...we always keep fighting over petty things and well...Iโ€™m sick of it.โ€ Her mother felt relief to say these things she had been keeping in for too long. โ€œIโ€™m sorry Riley.โ€

โ€œSo...what does that meanโ€ฆโ€ Riley couldn't say it.

โ€œIโ€™m afraid one of you has to be with me and the other with your father...I know this is hard for you girls but you can visit each other.โ€ Her mother fell into tears again but not alone...Riley cried...Hard.

โ€œI can't be without her...and neither can she.โ€ Riley hugged her mother. โ€œSheโ€™ll be lonely.โ€

โ€œNo...sheโ€™ll learn...I had always said you wonโ€™t be there for her forever...she needs to learn.โ€

โ€œMommy.โ€

Riley and her mother looked at each other and then behind them. It was Grace, she had heard their entire conversation.ย 

It took Riley and her mom an hour to comfort Grace.

โ€œIโ€™ll... miss... you... Riley.โ€ Her sister said between sobs.ย 

โ€œIโ€™ll miss you just the same Grace.โ€ The sisters hugged each other for what felt like forever but they didn't care.

โ€œAre you ready to go Grace?โ€ Their father asked. It had been a week since Grace and Riley had been filled in on everything happening between their parents.

โ€œYesโ€ฆโ€ Graceโ€™s cheeks were still wet from crying all night.ย 

Their mother hugged Grace and kissed her forehead.

โ€œIโ€™ll miss you baby, come to visit your mother soon.โ€ Their mother masked a small smile before bursting into tears.

โ€œIโ€™ll miss you kiddo.โ€ Rileyโ€™s father said as he waved goodbye to her. Riley could feel her father trying hard not to shed tears.

Riley walked towards her sister, her comfort zone, her best friend, her heart.

โ€œIโ€™ll miss you Grace.โ€

โ€œIโ€™ll...miss...you Riley.โ€

The girls hugged one last time and Riley helped Grace into the car. She and her mother waved until their hand began to hurt.

The car turned the corner and leftโ€ฆ

โ€œItโ€™s just you and me Riley.โ€ Her mother said as she went inside.

โ€œIโ€™ll be right back mom, Iโ€™m going for a strollโ€

โ€œDonโ€™t be late for dinner.โ€ Her mother called back.

Riley ran like the wind. The sun was almost setting as she reached her destination. The woodsโ€ฆ

Riley and Grace had found their little hideout when they were little. They always went there whenever they felt the need to just...relax...not think about anything...just the two of them.

Riley sat down next to Graceโ€™s favorite tree and closed her eyes...when she opened them she saw the moon, it was reflecting off the lake. Tears rolled down Rileys cheek as she sat down and stared at the starry sky as if she could imagine all the good times sheโ€™s had with Grace.

On the other side of the country, Grace looked out the window. The sun was gone and so had her happiness. She longed to hug her sister and tell her how much has happened. It has been a month since she has left her mother and Riley. Grace looked out the window to see the moon shining above the darkness, lighting us with joy and hope...there will always be hope even in the darkest timesโ€ฆ

โ€œI can overcome this.โ€ Grace said. โ€œRiley will be so proud of me.โ€

November 14, 2020 22:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

02:34 Nov 18, 2020

Wow, great job on this!

Reply

Thanks so much, do check out my other stories and do tell me if you have any suggestions

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kylie Rudolf
03:44 Nov 23, 2020

I love the connection between Riley and Grace, as a sister, I can feel the love!

Reply

Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.