Queer Eye for the Straight Girl

Submitted into Contest #179 in response to: End your story with a kiss at midnight.... view prompt

6 comments

LGBTQ+ Romance Drama

Marie Jane Emmerson is about to make the most important personal decision of her life.


She considers herself fortunate to have two wonderful suitors; one is Greg, a long-time friend, and Jerry, a fellow lawyer.

But who will she decide to spend the rest of her life with?


It's early Sunday morning, the day when most people prefer to sleep in.

But instead of resting today, she planned to visit her Uncle Bob and seek his advice on this most important of decisions.

Taking a look at herself in her room's mirror nobody could take her natural beauty away from her.


Marie's shyness prevents her from admitting even to herself that she is attractive, but a third party would undoubtedly describe her as curvy and feminine, with a face that exudes charm and warmth and a demeanour that radiates pure niceness.


She has a good family life as well as a highly successful educational background, which along with her work ethic has resulted in rapid career advancement.


But right now, she can't stop thinking about the advice she needs to choose between Greg and Jerry. She called his mobile.

"Hi, Uncle B., it's Marie, how are you?"


A courteous "fine, thanks," followed by "we're looking forward to meeting you this morning," was the response.


"I'll be there in about 30 minutes; see you soon!"


Marie was now settled in Uncle Bob's spacious yet inviting living room.

His eyes show the wear and tear of a complicated life, but his mind is sharp enough to keep him going. He is a tall, strongly built mature man.

His long-term companion's name is Nong, who he is sitting next to him. Their five-year relationship began shortly after Nong turned 31.

Uncle Bob took him back to London after they met in Thailand.

The two have been inseparable ever since.


Nong is unremarkable in appearance and comes from a humble family, but his love for Uncle Bob and vice versa is undeniable.


While sipping her coffee and after small talk and reflecting on the recent harsh weather, Marie made the following remark:


"Uncle B. I'm relieved to be here at long last. You and Nong are both examples of happiness.

I know you are a worldly and experienced man.

And I truly need to hear your thoughts on something that is very private to me."


Despite the fact that Nong was legally a member of Uncle Bob's family, she was careful to phrase it this way because the advice needed was highly personal to her and she only wanted to share it with long-time close relatives. Nong was still not fully proficient in his English language skills, though he was wise enough to excuse himself to go to work in the study room.


This left her alone with her Uncle.

There was a brief silence, which he broke:


"Marie, my dear niece, clearly, you have a major issue in your life that is significant. You can explain everything to me in your own time."


Marie's emotions were rising, but she knew she could trust her Uncle with anything. Her mother and brother had already been briefed on the details of the decision she needed to make. They had both met with Greg and Jerry, unlike Uncle B.

Jerry was unanimously selected by them as the best candidate. They claim he is more attractive, has a better physique, and had recently learned he would be promoted soon in his work.

Greg, despite being cordial and obviously in love with her he lacked Jerry's physical attractiveness; he was slightly overweight, had mediocre features, and was at a standstill in his bank job.



In terms of physical intimacy, Marie in her mind couldn't find any difference; they were both around a B-minus. Nonetheless, Jerry was at the top of her list of romantic desires. Althought it was close, Greg was the runner-up.


She would listen to her Uncle's advice, but her decision was more or less decided.

In any event Marie told him everything she knew about both prospective husbands without revealing that she had received advice from her mother and brother or that she had a preference.

Pausing occasionally she proceeded lawyer-like to list the advantages and disadvantages of both potential spouses.

Marie noticed her uncle's thoughtful contemplation after she finished.


"The most important question appears to be who do you love the most," he said.


Marie was pleased that he had finally asked her this crucial question.


"Yes, Uncle, you are correct..... and Jerry is my favorite!"

That seemed to be that.

They both stood up and hugged each other tightly.


The problem has been solved. Her decision made. Everyone, including her mother, brother, and now her Uncle agreed on the right choice.


Marie finally felt a sense of relief.


"Incidentally, I have pictures of both of them that I can share with you," she said as she prepared to leave. Marie dug through her bag for her phone and opened the photo gallery.

She showed him a photo of Jerry and said, "This is Jerry," scrolling down to show a photo of Greg.


Uncle B studied both photographs in silence for more than a minute on each. It took all of his willpower not to express surprise.

He needed to think quickly while remaining diplomatic.

After some thought and a deep breath he said:


"As you are aware, my lovely, dear niece, I practiced law for many years before retiring. During that time, I learned a lot about the inner workings of human relationships.

Facial expressions and body language can reveal a lot about a person, but they can also be deceiving."


Marie agreed that this was true and added:

"Of course, you're correct, but my feelings for Jerry are stronger than my feelings for Greg."


Uncle B then said:

"After looking at the photos, the most important question may really be which one loves you more?"


In the light of this, Marie began to start to question her decision.


Uncle B was now in full cross-examination mode.


"Well, I'm not sure," Marie answered.

The question was repeated :

"of the two of them who loves you more?

You must choose one or the other......please respond!"


After lengthy reflection Marie answered:


"Yeah, I guess it's Greg,"


"yes, and who did you feel has the most concern for you when you are sick?"

Less hesitation this time and the answer was 'Greg'.


After rising from his seat, Uncle B went on:


Which of these two would you choose if you or a loved one were in a life-threatening situation?"


And, once again the reply was Greg and there were further questions from Uncle B that were framed in such a way to give the same reply.


Nevertheless Marie continued to assert:

"But I love Jerry more!"



"So you think Jerry is more deserving of your affection than Greg?"

With a nod, Marie confirmed tha is what she believed.


"If you have feelings for both, think about which one will love you and care for you more in the long run."

Then, drawing on all of his legal and philosophical knowledge and experience, Uncle B exclaimed:


"Remember, even if Jerry is better looking, and has other superior qualities Greg is far more attractive for love in the long term if you stop looking for flaws!"


That really struck a chord with Marie.

It was a lightbulb moment.


She was now aware that Greg, her childhood sweetheart, has always shown and exhibited the most affection for her.


She would return home once she had calmed down.

Her decision needed to be reconsidered.

She expressed her gratitude, and Nong was summoned to say his goodbye.


 Later that night while alone in his study Uncle Bob, opened his phone and accessed the gay resource and dating app he had recently joined in an attempt to find a man dancer to perform at Nong's surprise birthday party in a few weeks. He never intended the ad to appear on the dating site only on the resource site; but a mistake had been made and his personal details without the ad were published.

And because this was wrongly put on the dating site he had received a message from a young man which read:


 " Bi guy seeks Daddy for intimate fun".


Uncle B looked at the photo of the young man who sent the photo who had also revealed some background details about himself.

There was no mistake.

The photo was Jerry.



Earlier when Uncle B was looking at Jerrys photo on Maries' mobile he had realized who it was and then deliberately steered her towards opting for Greg.

Now he vowed to himself that if Marie still chose Jerry, he would then reveal to her the dating site, as well as showing her the message and photo sent to him.



As the desktop clock struck midnight Uncle B blew a kiss.

The kiss was not this time intended for Nong.

And most emphatically not to Jerry!

The kiss was intended for Marie.

He hoped and prayed she would make the right decision.

January 04, 2023 00:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Dylan Jaeger
20:03 Jan 09, 2023

I loved this story, and I never could have guessed that ending! It was amazing.

Reply

Robert Radcliff
01:11 Jan 15, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
01:06 Jan 08, 2023

I liked this, and I had to keep reading to see what came next: great surprise ending on this one! Thanks for the story. :)

Reply

Robert Radcliff
01:14 Jan 08, 2023

Glad you enjoyed the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
17:50 Jan 07, 2023

I really liked this tale, Robert. It has some messages for all of us, not the least of which is how should we view those who love us. If I had a critique to offer, it would be to show a lot more and tell a lot less. Good job, Robert.

Reply

Robert Radcliff
01:15 Jan 08, 2023

Appreciate your comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.