15 comments

Mystery Romance Science Fiction

“Would you like a brochure? Sure, here you go.”


I remember the first time I was abducted. Whisked away at virtual ‘probe-point’ to a distant galactic ‘depot’ called ‘Zudprillipud.’ Why? Well, that’s a good question. It was kind of like sleepwalking except I wasn’t asleep, and I don’t think I was walking. Anyway, they brought me back. Dropped me off in my car. It seemed like ten minutes had elapsed, but when I awoke, I soon realized I’d lost an entire week. A week! And nobody even noticed.


I asked Cathy where she thought I was. ‘Out in your boat,’ she says, dicing an onion. Shedding a tear.


“For a week?”


“Well, you were kind of vague when you left.”


“In that...?”


“In that you said, ‘Don’t wait up.”


“And you think, ‘Don’t wait up’ means 'I’ll see you in a week?”


She had every reason to be livid, but she wasn’t. “I bought you a valentine,” she said, pointing at a heart-shaped box with the knife.


“Thanks, uh… can we talk?”


She was open enough to listen politely and asked pertinent questions like, ‘Were there any people?’ or ‘What kind of creatures live on Zudlillipudski?’


My answers? “I don’t know. I was in a rest area? A galactic depot. And Zudprillipud’s a galaxy, not a planet, so, technically nobody lives on it. Any other questions?” She shook her head. Even though I was the one who had been gone for a week, for some reason, I was the one who was annoyed. I would think if she was gone for a week I would've filed a missing persons report. Maybe she was in on it too.


*****



Enter one Stan Waters, Private Detective. “At your service,” he says.


He claimed he was ex-military and looked it. Acted like it. He was all business, but I hadn’t convinced him to work for me yet. “I just don’t see it as a problem,” he said. “What I wouldn’t give to take a week off and not be missed.”


“You’d freak out,” I said. “You’re confusing a vacation with an abduction. Don’t do that.” I explained how speed and time are connected, the faster I went, the less time I experienced. It seemed like ten minutes to me because it was ten minutes, to me, everyone else aged a week or more, everyone around here that is. This much was clear, because I’d already hired someone else to do the math.


But this guy was pretty shrewd because he said, “You did the math, huh? How’d you know how far it was to Zudsparilla?”


And to that kind of question, hypnosis seemed like the only answer.


I was convinced that all hypnotists were incompetent idiots as I rubbed my eyes and sat up. I was on a couch and my belief was reinforced when the hypnotist audibly murmured, ‘all finished.’ We hadn’t done a thing. I didn’t remember anything. I didn’t remember him, his office, walking in, laying down, or any recollection of Stan Waters for that matter. “Crap.” I barely knew my own name.


How do I know all this? I had a note in my shoe. I did a little research before rushing off to the mesmerist. It wasn’t that difficult to break the post-hypnotic suggestions. I kept a video log, reference material, receipts, and a post-hypnotic trigger phrase: ‘What do you have against opera houses?’ As soon as I read that phrase in my notebook, all of my memories came flooding back.


I was abducted again, somewhat more skillfully, and whisked off at near-light-speeds to another distant galaxy. A place with a name that sounded like ‘Paramecium.’ 13 minutes each way with a two-minute layover in what I now call ‘outposts.’ At the far end of a 28-minute interval, I was discreetly dumped back on planet earth three days later. I came to in my boat, on the river, the anchor so deeply embedded in the bottom that I had to cut it free, but the boat ran well, the car was in the marina parking lot and the keys were in my pocket.


When I burst through the front door Cathy greeted me cheerfully. “Hi, how were the fish?”


“The fish?”


“Yeah. The fish. How were they?”


“They, um, there—were no fish, I don’t think.”


“Aww, no luck, huh? That’s too bad.” She patted the couch and I went and sat down next to her. She seemed nicer, and softer than usual.


The following night, after sex, in the dark, I said, “I need a new anchor, you know…”


“It’s fixed,” she said.


“I’m not mad, I just…, what’d you say?”


“I fixed it.”


“You got me a new anchor?”


“Yeah.”


“Where is it?”


“I put it on.”


“On what?”


“The end of the anchor line, of course.”


*****


I got abducted again, it was different. And then again after that, and this time there was another person present. A human being, like me. I felt like part of a team, however marginal my contribution.


My ‘trips’ grew shorter, and the ‘returns’ neater and less awkward, as we fell into a routine. Cathy and I had the best sex ever, and, well, I knew it wasn’t her. It was a better Cathy than the one I’d had. I don’t know what they did with the original, but this was not her. She was too accommodating.


I admit, I was as happy as I’d ever been, happy to play along. I had no control over aliens whose technology was so advanced I couldn’t even remember it, let alone explain it, and, I felt like I was a part of something vast, some huge undertaking. We were far from being the only two people with huge gaps in their memory. I suspected they were abducting thousands of people each month, using them, like memory chips.


One night, I asked my duplicate Cathy, what is it that I do? And she said they use my brain because it has a hundred billion connections, and functions wirelessly.


“So why don’t I understand what we’re doing?” I remember asking.


And she said, “You don’t need to, or want to, you’re a node.” And that was it, that was all she would divulge about that subject, ever.


One night, Cathy entered the house looking dazed and stunned, walking around, looking at things curiously, picking things up. Then she looked at me as if I had changed overnight. I approached her tentatively, and gently embraced her. Her voice was muffled against my shoulder but I still heard her say, “How long was I gone?”


I held her at arm’s length. “About two years.” Valentine’s day was a week away.


“Two years? Oh my God. How can that be?”


I shrugged. “Physics?”


She went to the fridge and grabbed a beer. “Yeah, I was on some kind of starship. I know. It sounds crazy.” She drank one-third of the beer. “God that’s good.” She looked around. “You kept my stuff. How sweet. So…” she peered at me over the rim of the can, “how was my funeral? Pretty small affair?”


“Uh, no.” I cleared my throat. “No funeral. They gave me a substitute. So how long did you think you were gone?”


“About three months,” she said. “It was…” she shook her head, “grueling but rewarding. They were very happy with me, I think. A substitute? What’s a substitute? What does that mean? Did you even know I was gone?”


“Yes. I did. I mean, I figured it out. Eventually.”


 “How? Where is she?” She began circling the apartment. Opening closets and pantries, slamming them shut.


“She’s gone,” I wailed, a touch too plaintively.


“I’m sleeping on the couch,” she announced. “No, you’re sleeping on the couch.”


Once I realized that she knew exactly what a substitute was, even before I told her, we worked things out, and waited anxiously for our next abduction, but it never came. I guess they fired us. We didn’t know what to do so we started a support group, Abducted Nodes Anonymous. We have over a million members and we’re still growing.

August 07, 2023 14:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

19:43 Aug 13, 2023

I wonder if he ever disappeared long enough to have a substitute, but Cathy never figured it out. I enjoy how they just accepted it like they were recruited and were just doing a job they didn't particularly enjoy like most of the rest of us. They even seemed to miss it once the abductions stopped. It's as if the support group wasn't for the actual abductions, it was for the ceasing of them which left them feeling rejected or without a purpose that they had for several years.

Reply

Ken Cartisano
20:54 Aug 13, 2023

BINGO! Miss LeeAnn H-I, You have either intentionally or inadvertently hit the nail on the head. I confess that I didn't even see it myself until well after I'd written it. Cathy may have been confused at first, but the reason she wasn't angry with him the first time he was gone for a week, was because she had been given a substitute in place of him. And yes, the support group was to help them deal with the sense of loss after being cut loose from the abductions. I like to think it turns the whole, alien abduction horror story on its head.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:35 Aug 17, 2023

Love it! We all just want to matter, don't we? It's… habit forming. This reminds me a bit of Drew Magary's "The Hike". The way the characters just accept what's happening to them - well, what else can they do? The scale of the powers making decisions on their behalf is far too big to comprehend, much less to oppose. So, they do what humans do: they adapt. And then they get sad when it ends. The abductions are a key part here, but the story isn't about abductions at all. It's more about relationships, shared events, being present vs bei...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ellen Neuborne
17:30 Aug 14, 2023

I enjoyed this. The last line was a great kicker.

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:33 Aug 07, 2023

This is a lot of fun , very playful voice, by a very bemused mc who takes it all in his stride like it's normal . Getting Douglas Adams vibes here. Nice work!

Reply

Ken Cartisano
06:22 Aug 09, 2023

Douglas Adams vibes? That's very generous. I loved Douglas Adams. I was thinking, after I wrote it, of Robert Asprin. But your right, it's more 'don't panic--and bring a towel'-ish. I totally see it now. Thanks Derrick. I think I needed that. It certainly didn't hurt. For those in the know, I found this excerpt from wikipedia - In May 2010, an online petition was created asking Google to recognize Towel Day with either a Google Doodle or by returning search results in the Vogon language for a day. As of 10 September 2014, the petition had...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
16:59 Aug 07, 2023

Them A'n'A meeting would be a story all in themselves! As usual it's full of your loveable wit with a dash of unresolved mystery. Enjoyable Ken, so much so it ended to soon, or at least felt that way. Was Stan Waters part of the hypnosis? Small formatting fix, these two sentences need an inverted comma added to - “In that you said, ‘Don’t wait up.” “And you think, ‘Don’t wait up’ means, ‘I’ll see you in a week?”

Reply

Ken Cartisano
07:57 Aug 09, 2023

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate that. Could you show me the correction on those two sentences you pointed out? You're just showing me what I did wrong. How should it look? (I'm pretty dense sometimes.) Stan Waters was real. A kind of wanna-be M.I.B. I figured. fortunately, he doesn't have that much to do. Due to the shortage of actual aliens, most of the time. He was just a logical extension of the main character's earnestness. When the mc decides he should try hypnosis, it was too good an idea. I was a afraid it might spoil the ending. It was t...

Reply

Kevin Logue
08:41 Aug 09, 2023

Not problem, it's just a single inverted comma after up and week, as below. “In that you said, ‘Don’t wait up.'” “And you think, ‘Don’t wait up’ means, ‘I’ll see you in a week?'”

Reply

Ken Cartisano
05:14 Aug 15, 2023

Hi Kevin, Thank you. I just wanted to assure you that I was not putting you on with these damned apostrophes. I think I read differently in the Strunk & White's writing guide, (that you could omit the lesser apostrophe if you were using the greater. Essentially, three wasn't necessary, but that was so like, nine years ago. (I ought to crack it open every now and then and refresh my memory.) And of course your 'inverted bicuspid' U.K. legerdemain threw me for a linguistic loop. (This is where you would say, 'Ha.') I think I'm a visual person...

Reply

Kevin Logue
09:27 Aug 15, 2023

I always enjoy a good Ken comment, and now I need to look into Moorish architecture, thanks for that! I am no master of grammar so you could be right, actually you probably are. Wrote something for Anybody out there, unfortunately only got the idea on Friday morning, and you guessed it, jobs, toddler, and life in general got in my way. It was from the point of view of a wolf pup whose pack never left the valley and they encounter early man for the first time. Never got it finished or edited so instead of rushing it I just bowed out. Cute ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:09 Aug 07, 2023

Oh, so many layers of mystery, romance and science fiction and, of course, fun.🛸

Reply

Ken Cartisano
07:23 Aug 09, 2023

Thanks, Mary. You just named four of the layers right there in one sentence. How the hell did you do that? I gotta write a whole story, you just bang it out in twelve words. (Give or take.) Still, I'm glad you liked it. I need to read some of your stories. One could say I've been remiss. In my defense, I checked out a trilogy from the library, and I still have one book to go. Also, I need to write another story, one with the phrase, 'I didn't think things could get any worse, and then a squirrel pissed on my head.' I have that phrase stuck ...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
11:23 Aug 09, 2023

Like your way of 🤔 thinking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
21:24 Aug 15, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.