0 comments

Holiday Romance Sad

    Do you ever think back to the perfect day in hopes that you can recreate it just to experience even the slightest bit of that feeling again? Well today is that day where there are so many things in store for me to recreate and capture that moment once again. There is some much to do and prepare before tonight. I have to make sure I have everything perfect. Dancing in the kitchen I know there is a lot to prepare so I write down everything I need before walking out the door. "This night will once again be one to remember." I think to myself.

    While in the car I sing to myself "do you remember the time the day we fell in love." As I drive I think of all the wonderful things that can take place tonight; the dancing, the singing, right down to the kissing. The thought of the juicy steak that will be paired with a rich Merlot topped with chocolate covered strawberries for a great dessert teaser and then a cheesecake to sweeten the deal. Has my mouth watering, as I say to myself “Great memories are made to be recreated.”

    Once in the store I buy everything from steak, to wine, to strawberries, flowers, and even some candles for that special romantic touch. I rush through grabbing the items so I have plenty of time to prepare. While waiting in line I just visualize the night and you in all your beauty and I instantly smile. The line is long and I wait for what feels like hours, but I stand their patient with plenty of time to spare. “Someone is having a romantic evening,” says the cashier as she rings me up. “Yeah something like that.” I smirk as she's finishing up the transaction, “Well she's quite the lucky lady.” “I am the lucky one to have met him” I say with a smile as I walk away, without looking back.” Once I am checked out I hop in the car and on the drive hope our song comes on the radio "Unforgettable that's what you are, unforgettable though near or far," blares through the speakers as I imagine us dancing in the kitchen while trying to finish cooking.

    I finally arrive at my house when I get into chef mode fast. I turn on some sultry Sade` to set the mood for this evening, and quickly get to work. The food starts to smell amazing, all the great aromas feeling the air, the smell of steak, garlic and cheesecake, and chocolate, what a combination. I make sure to decorate each strawberry adding the special touches to make sure everything is just as perfect this time as it was the last. My phone rings and I look and its my sister, now I know she’s probably just calling to do one of her routine “check up”calls  but I don't have a minute to waste, everything must be completed and perfect right on time so I let it go to voicemail.  Once finished in the kitchen I light the candles, set the table which is perfect for us 2. I pull out the fine china for this wonderful occasion. Then I place the flowers in a vase that sits in the middle of the table which is surrounded with food and 2 glasses of wine that I poured up.  Once finished, I check to voicemail to make sure nothing is wrong and just as I expected it was a check up call, I listen on the other end as my sisters says “Hey bro just wanted to call and check on you, I know today is special to you and I want you to know I love you.” So sweet but I’ll wait until tomorrow to call her back. I am finally able to hop in the shower and get all cleaned up, dressed and spray myself for that extra special touch.

    I look at the clock and the time has finally come, I walk in the kitchen, grab the picture frame and place the photo on the table in the spot where she used to sit. 8:15 p.m. the time that we shared on this day for so many years past. We set it up like our first day every year no matter what. It's days like these that I remember, I think back and remember your smile, your laugh, the way you would pretend to act surprised and like we had just met all over again. The way you wore that beautiful black tux with those Gucci leather loafers that I bought and you saved for only the most special of occasions.  The way you would feed me the steak and eat those strawberries with such sex appeal that made me wont to pounce on you at any moment.  It was the way that you always appreciated everything like it was your first time experiencing it, even though this happened every year. As I sit at the table and take a bite of the steak I wish you were here to enjoy this with me. I will never forget the thing you told me this time last year, “no matter if I am near or far, I will always love you just the way you are.” It brings tears to my eyes thinking about it, but not just because I am sad but also because I feel that no matter where life takes from this point on I will never find a love as good as ours and I don't feel that I will ever love again the way that I loved you. So one this day that we use to fill with love I leave you this poem as you smile down from up above.                            

“You taught me love so deep and true,                                

I never imagined a day that I wouldn’t have you.                             The sadness that has come over and has filled me so deep,                 that as I lie there in bed I find it almost impossible to sleep.           

I think about you so often it aches and hurts my heart,              

that I now have to live in a word where we are apart.            

So on this fine day I will always think of you                                      and keep all the memories alive when it was just us two!

February 15, 2021 02:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.