0 comments

General

One nice summer day in July, three friends, Nick, Caleb, and Aaron were going to have a play day at the treehouse, complete with a picnic lunch. Each boy was bringing something to contribute. Aaron was bringing the chips and drinks, Caleb was providing the sandwiches, and Nick was providing the cookies for dessert. The boys were meeting up at Nick's house for a day at the treehouse, and a sleepover.

Once Caleb and Aaron arrived at Nick's the next morning, they packed up their lunches, games and snacks and left to go to the treehouse. After they arrived, they carefully climbed up the treehouse with their lunch. Since it wasn't quite lunch time yet, they decided to play sorry, followed by Uno. After Uno, they decided to start enjoying the lunch they brought. Nick brought out the paper plates, plastic silverware, and the Solo cups they had brought with them, while Caleb and Aaron started to get their lunch food ready to go.

"The sandwiches are great, Caleb," Nick said.

"Thanks, Nick. Your cookies look amazing. Aaron, the chips you brought are my favorite. Thanks," said Caleb.

"I knew all of our favorites and tried to bring them all so everyone is happy. Both of you deserve some credit for this too," said Aaron.

"This food is great," said Caleb. The best part is that we don't have to worry about school or homework until September when we go back to work."

"That makes the days seem even sweeter," said Nick. "We can rest and play to our hearts content. Hard to believe that we will be in the fifth grade in a few weeks."

"I agree," said Aaron. "The school days seem to drag on, especially when we are just starting to really get into our homework. The summer days never seemed better. We should thank our dads for building us this treehouse to hang out in."

"Agreed," said Nick. It gives us a great fort, and we know exactly where it is. No one can enter without our knowledge of it."

"Its great. Our dads really showed us how to be creative when they build stuff, didn't they?" Caleb chimed in.

"Yes, they did. I'm glad they decided to build it for us," said Nick. "Look over in the branch to the right, there's a bird's nest over there!" Nick said excitedly.

"Amazing. I never knew they would get so close to people, especially when we have a scent around us," Aaron said as he finished his food.

Caleb said suddenly, "What do you guys say we go swimming at the lake tomorrow? It should be a nice day again."

"I'm in. Plus since we are having a sleepover tonight, we can get an early start tomorrow," Aaron said.

"Me too," said Nick. "It will be fun for us to go play in the water tomorrow, but now, I'm ready to read some comic books. Do you too have everrything you need for tonight and tomorrow?"

Aaron replied, "I do. I left my clothes and sleeping bag at your house this morning."

Caleb answered, "Me too. I only forgot my notebook but its not a big deal. You know I like to write down different ideas that I have. Do you two know if we have the same teacher again this year? I will not be happy if we are in different classes this year."

"I haven't heard yet what classes we are in or who our teacher will be as of yet. If we have different teachers, I will be upset too. I can't imagine having a class without you two in it. You are my best friends," Aaron replied.

"I don't know either. Fortunately, there are only two fifth grade teachers, Mrs. Lasling and Mr. DoMuch. We are bound to get one of them for sure," said Nick.

"That's true," Aaron said. "But the last thing I want to worry about right now is anything schol related. Let's enjoy our summer first."

"Aaron," said Caleb, "Thats a grand idea. Let's not talk about school right now."

Nick said, "That is great. Let's enjoy our freedom from all things that go with school and relax."

"Are there any movies you want to see soon," asked Nick.

"I would like to see the new Star Wars movie coming out soon. It looks like a good movie from the commercials," said Caleb.

"I would like to see the new muppets movie. They always make me laugh," said Aaron.

The boys spent the rest of the day reading comic books and talking about what they had just read. They decided to do another game of sorry. Once they had finished the game, they agreed on one more game of Go Fish. When the boys looked at their watches, they were surprised to see that it was nearing six o clock. That meant it would soon be dinner time, they decided to head out and get back to Nick's home for the night. They gathered the stuff they had, put it in a backpack and started to climb out of the treehouse.

"I'm glad that we have the treehouse so we can do more games days like today," said Caleb.

"Yes, it was a fun, carefree day for us. We need days like this more often," said Aaron. "What do you think Nick?"

"I agree," said Nick. "We need relaxing days without much to worry about day to day. Should we go back to the treehouse in the morning, before we go to the lake?"

"That is a great plan," said Caleb. "What time do we head back to the treehouse?"

"How about at eight o clock in the morning, stay until about eleven, come back for lunch, and go to the lake around twelve thirty," suggested Aaron.

"Let's do that tomorrow," Caleb agreed.

"Then its decided. We have a plan for the day."

Once they arrived back at Nick's house, they had dinner and went to bed, greatly anticipating the adventures they would have the next day.

July 14, 2020 06:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.