The Shift. The Rift. The vicissitudes and rhythm of the night.

Written in response to: Write a story about two people living together who have opposing sleep cycles, and only cross paths at dawn and dusk.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Christian Teens & Young Adult

Hot Potato.

Hot Potatoes.


Necromancer to the rescue.

Although he cannot be trusted.

One must start somewhere.

And with the cacophony of spirits available.


Give it a whirl.

Give is a swirl.


Necromancer waits in the wings.

For you.

To become more refined. More sophisticated.

Necromancers have not only 20/20 vision. They are able to see at 360 degree angles too.😳


Just try to put one over on them.

They will eat you alive with a dash of salt and saliva.

Death magic as it is called, by some. Who believe in the spirits.🥃🍸🍹🥂🍷🧉. Imbibing has its challenges. The watering holes have a quota to be accountable to and for. Dry up. Too wet. All wet.


Gulp it.

Down it.

Enjoy.


The waterway becomes narrower and narrower. The arroyo gulch dries up faster than one can say, “Raindrops keep falling on my head.” Lotsa things going on in the fluvial basin. Best to use caution and tread lightly.


The crick in the back oftentimes comes on suddenly. Painfully too. Travel from around the circumference of the bodily anatomy becomes a static place of noise and annoyance. And stinging, tingling reactions of annoyance and disregard.


A means to an end.

Becomes near to impossible.

With Necromancer by your side.

Necromancer is insidious. Never likes to be wrong. Will prove you wrong at all costs to the cause. Eat ‘em alive.


Then.

A shift.


Comes along.

Necromancer is thrown off balance.

Neuromancer is here to save the day.


Says, “Hey punk.”

Stop it.

Stop eating people alive.

Stop the hack-a-doodle attempts at messing with human’s noodles.

Especially ‘round these parts, where folks are “V-strong. Rebellious. Take no prisoners. Take ALL prisoners.


Crossroads.

Crossing.

Fork in the Road.

Be careful of entering the room.

The rooms.

Lest you be the next to be eaten alive.

By the cause.

A cause.

A connection of deadly consequences.

Too little, too late for some.

Playing catch up has its major problems, major consequences.

Drooling off of the plate of another is so counter. So counter intuitive to the sophistication held near and dear.


Waterway.

Waterworks.

Only the good die young. Are so darn cadaveric.

Buy the farm.

Revel in the silence.

Buy the silence.


Secrets. Have a pathway to destruction. Eat a person alive. Eats loved ones alive, too.


Shhhhhh. Be quiet and no harm will come to you, your way.

Intimidation. Rears its ugly, take no prisoners approach.

When we are our most weak. Tired. Frail.


The only thing left to do.

Bleed out.


Nexromancer and Neuromancer are over in other corner, on the other side over there, engaging in the war of words. Splashes of intimidation. Infliction of war wounds. Big time. Hoping no one will notice enough to care. To do something about the tension, disconnect, the disconnection.


They lost.

Their strength long ago.

Stopped the good fight.

Went over to the other side.

Lifeless.

Enter.


Amontillado.

To offer a sweetness.

Plonk it down.

Take it or leave it.

Reinstall.

Relocate.

Superimpose

Transpose.

Engage in a bit of juxtaposition.

To see how things go.

Thwarting forward motion.

Keeping the status quo.

Where things are familiar.

Disciplinary action for some. Not for others.

A nesting to fit in.

Unsure where.

Unsure how.

Splicing, slicing and dicing.

One says this.

The other says that.

Safety in numbers?

Your call.


The sandwich of all sandwiches. The real meat in the middle. May be tiny. Perhaps it mighty. Mightier than the sword.(ch)


Normalcy lost in the shuffle. Provided it was there to begin with.


Residuals.

Remnants.

Evocative.

Provocative


Causing trouble.

Just like a street fighter.

Going up and down the street, saying, “You wanna mess with me, you wanna mess with me?”


Bring it on.

Blood is not thicker than water.

Time will tell.

It usually does.

In this particular case it doesn’t just tell.

It screams.

The unfairness of it all.


The heraldic shield of the ones who you prove to and prove yourself to must know that you,


Have their back.

Arms, crests and badges, too.

In the beginning, it may seem odd, unfamiliar. Over time. It feels like home.


As Necromancer and Neuromancer are still back there, in their corner duking it out. Forgetting that the best treatment of another comes not in the form of a shot or a pill.


Showing up.

Do the hard work.

For the right reason.

Then hope.

Remembering hope can be the four letter work to muck things up.


Worthy of regard, yes.

But not reliance on the mode of transport. Hope in the hands of the less than true is hope that should be disregarded, asap. Trashed. Sooner rather than later.


Climbing up the family tree. Can be a fall down, knock down, drag out battle. Relationships take on a life of their own. The buddy system. Not in particular. Same names mean simply same names.


Direct lines. Origins. Blood. Bloodlines. The testing of all things testable. Climb the tree and first of all, hope that ya can.


Cynicism marks. Cynicism marks the person who does not believe. That the shift of change can and is a necessary step. Resist. The call to go back. The same old, same old. Cease and desist.


Arms. Crests. Badges. The so called army brat has earned the worldly right to show us how it can be done. Survival of the fittest in the most desperate of times of change changes the perspective.


Leaving no one in the dust of another. Join em. Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em. Join the party. Looking over the shoulder. Keeping wits. Necromancer and Neuromancer are still fighting the same old fights, in the same old ways.


The better way to fight awaits.

All of us.

Early.

Late.

Mid.


We were all plonked down on this earth for a reason. For a season. Make the most, the best of it. When looking back on it all, in reflection, we can enjoy it a second time. Never wishing that we did something different. Sold out, Stuck to the guns of doubt and desperation, even while feeling like we were walking into walls.🙂


Anything worth the fight, is worth the fight.

Pay careful, cautious attention when Necromancer and Neuromancer appear. It is not magic. It is not good. Do not get sucked in.


Frankly. It is just plain bad.

Run like the dickens.

To the Shields.

The Arms.

The Crests.


Fight on.









November 14, 2023 23:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.