2 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction Inspirational

Shortening his name resulted in his being commonly known as Nero. He was about 45, was dark, but had a smiling face. He was a businessman and was quite prosperous. He had set apart a portion of his profits to be given to charity. Unlike others of his ilk, he did not live a cloistered life. He was available to all. He was concerned about welfare of people. Take for instance the case of his milk delivery man. He had met with an accident while on his way doing his job and was injured. Hearing about it Nero visited his home and helped his wife and two children to cope with the unfortunate event.

Nero was a commerce graduate and was well informed about current affairs in India as well as the city he lived in. He took a genuine interest in matters of public interest. Take the case of the private school in his neighbourhood. The head had retired and the successor was not only incompetent but was corrupt. The school was neglected but Nero moved in and set things right. He restored normal functioning and midday meals to children resumed again.

Nero took an active part in helping the poor to access free medical care. He revitalized the eye hospital near his house. Free eye camps were conducted and many have-nots had free cataract surgery. With his donation the eye hospital installed a glaucoma centre which helped to save the sight of the poor. When rains disrupted normal life and made movement difficult, he arranged for food to reach those who were stranded in water logged homes in some areas.

Nero was an active member of the Rotary organisation. On his initiative he met the health minister and arranged for free camps to spread awareness and identification of dreaded TB. The Rotary met part of the expenditure. Nero was concerned about the government’s decision to allow practitioners of indigenous systems of medicine to conduct surgical operations. He chose to create awareness about the pros and cons of the government’s move.

Nero was interested in social uplift and presided over a conference of women over lowering the age of consent for marriage. He also helped a social service organisation in its moves to eliminate beggary. He was also very frank. When his views were wanted on farmers’ legislation which had been introduced in India with much controversy he merely said “I know nothing about farming. I own no farm land. I know nothing about the differing points of view of farmers and government. So I won’t comment.” When asked about his views on women being allowed to travel free in public vehicles he was silent saying it was a major issue which perhaps needed a referendum. His opinion was sought on electricity tariffs and he said “I can’t have an opinion as I don’t know how the electricity rates are fixed. I feel that if the rates could be lowered for those who can’t afford it, I’ll welcome it.”As regards corruption Nero said he was firmly against it.

Nero had big plans in mind about higher education. He would say “It should be made free as only the worthy would pursue it. Presently the worthies go abroad for higher studies spending fabulous amounts. And many don’t return but seek jobs in other countries. Our country has eminent professors who could impart education at the same level as in more advanced countries and they must be used. Research centres need to be opened with adequate funding to encourage job seekers. I find Nobel prizes are being conferred on those mostly doing work on space science. It is as if there could be no work of eminence in conventional areas of physics, chemistry and so on. It is a disincentive to distinguished researchers who could still expand our understanding of basic sciences and must be corrected. Researchers in medicine and disease control have a great future and must be encouraged. Though India is recognised for the establishment of the zero, more efforts are needed in the field of mathematics.”

A media person asked “Don’t you think historical research should be encouraged?”

“Certainly. The Indus Valley script has yet to be deciphered. People would like to be told how our ancestors lived. New finds of the buried past have to be analyzed and dated. There is a lot of work to be done regarding the past.”

When the time came for an election Nero was persuaded to stand as a candidate. He confessed that he was no orator but many came forward to canvas on his behalf. He stood as an independent candidate and won on his own merit to become a legislator. He had hoped it would give him an opportunity to realise some of his thoughts. However he was disappointed. He was made minister for women and child welfare besides for welfare of the downtrodden a role in which he hadn’t much to say. Now came the time he had to address gatherings.

In a first gathering he addressed he said “Let me begin by telling you about the English essayist Joseph Addison. Like me he was also reluctant to take on large crowds. Addison began by saying “I conceive!” He said it thrice but couldn’t sustain his oration! At once his critics humorously remarked that Addison conceived thrice but brought forth nothing! I’m somewhat like that Englishman. This meeting is about help to be given to women in villages regarding motherhood. I’ll only say my ministry is very eager to offer that help. We are privileged to have with us this evening Dr.Lily Jacob who was till recently in service with WHO. We all know she is an authority on women’s welfare in Africa and Asia. Her expertise is internationally recognized. I now invite Dr.Jacob to share her thoughts with us.” There was loud applause as Dr.Jacob rose to take the mic. Nero’s speech had avoided his own rambling on the subject!

Nero was very successful as a legislator as he evaded controversy. He always spoke very slowly and said “I’m not an orator. I don’t rattle away to crowds. Instead I think a lot before I say anything. Slow speech gives me time to say the right words without offence. Also I won’t inflict my ideas on people who come to hear me.” Within himself he knew he hadn’t much to say dealing with his portfolio but he felt unhappy that it didn’t give him much of a chance to turn his lofty ideals to upgrade knowledge and society. For his own satisfaction he continued his personal philanthropy.

END

January 11, 2021 14:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

02:04 Jan 22, 2021

Mr.Philip, Thanks. Regards.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
06:51 Jan 21, 2021

This is find work. At times, I began mine like this work. Once again, fine, fine work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.