0 comments

General

An Awakening

by

Heather P.F. Sidwell




It was January twenty-fifth in Salt Lake City Utah. The Holiday season was well done and over with as Kava Winly peered out into the frigid, Utah winter night. Kava had lived in Utah all her life but the cold, snowy winters always caught her a bit off guard and she longed for a warmer climate. 

The lights on Temple Square had been taken down but as Kava peered out her tenth floor apartment window she couldn’t help admiring the beautiful temple in the falling snow; with all its lights a glow, it was beautiful, Kava couldn’t deny it.


“What goes on in there?” Kava whispered aloud to the empty room. The temple was very majestic in all its castle like splendor and Kava longed to go inside. What was it about the temple anyway that only certain people were permitted entrance? How could they blame people for being curious, creating conclusions, speculating as it were? The building was massive, beautifully groomed and utterly secret in it's blanketed splendor. They couldn’t blame people for wondering.


Even through the snow both the moon and the temple could be clearly seen, a kind of hush settling over the city. It was three a.m. after all and while Salt Lake had become a large city in its own right it had not become a city that never sleeps and so the snow fell, silent and ethereal to the city streets below, on the landing, just outside her now frosted window pane where she had been standing nose to glass. 


This was Kava’s first apartment. Her parents lived in a large home up on the hill, their back yard overlooked the entire valley and one could see all the way to the Point on a clear day. 


Poomie, Kava’s smushed faced, long haired, Persian sauntered into the room, affectionately rubbing against Kava’s legs. It was an odd name...Kava. Kava had been named after her parents favorite beverage and was relieved they hadn’t chosen Java instead. Kava sounded...foreign, almost delicious somehow and so while it was strange it had been difficult for the other children to come up with rhyme names to poke fun at her with. Kava was grateful for that. It was difficult enough being one of only four non-Mormon children in her school. She didn’t need to give them any more reason to look at her funny.


Kava’s eyes began to feel heavy and even tho it was Saturday night...no work in the morning...it was time to get some sleep. Monday would come soon enough and as she was on the short list for a promotion she would have to be sharp come Monday. The snow would make the Monday morning trip complicated. Kava would have to be prepared.


Ten a.m. certainly came early as Kava went for her phone to shut off the alarm only to discover it was actually ringing. With a frown and a wrinkled forehead Kava debated on whether to answer or not. The number was unfamiliar and yet...she thought maybe she should answer. 

“Ya never know....it could be something important.”

Poomie meowed with irritation as she licked her paws, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Immediately the cat stretched out full length across the bed, lifted her head and glared at Kava as the phone continued to ring.

"Alright! Alright! I’m answering it!!! Don’t get your fur in a twist!” 


Kava lifted the phone from the side table, staring at it a moment longer. The cat again lifted its head to glare at Kava, Kava glared back and shook her head at the cat in defiance as she very deliberately pressed the answer button, her eyes never leaving the cats.


“This had better be good...it IS seven a.m. on a Sunday for hell’s sake!” The other end of the phone remained silent for a moment before a slightly flustered male voice chimed in.


“Um...yes...well, is this sister Winly? This is Thomas Crenshaw with the tenth ward bishopric of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.”


Immediately Kava felt silly for how she’d answered the phone quickly jumping up to once again peer out her window at the temple. Wondering if they’d seen her staring the night before Kava coughed and choked a bit before reaching for the water bottle she always kept by her bedside. Taking a quick sip Kava set it back down, her composure solid once again Kava responded.


“Well mister....Crenshaw was it? What can I do for you? I’m not Mormon.” The voice on the other end of the phone was warm and cheerful as he laughed. It wasn’t a mocking laugh, meant to make Kava feel self conscious, but a kind and understanding laugh meant to set her at ease.


“No miss Winly; we know you’re not LDS but your bishop would like to talk to you. Would you be willing to meet with him later on today perhaps....say five o’clock?” 


This was highly irregular. Kava had lived here all her life and never before had anyone from the church wanted to talk to her. What did he want? What should she say? Stammering now slightly Kava spoke into the phone a little too loudly.


“Well what does he want? Why does he want to talk to me?”


Again the man laughed that warm and kindly laugh.


“Even if I knew, and I don’t, I couldn’t tell you. If I did then I’d have to kill you.”


Kava looked out at the temple once again and wondered if that’s what they did in there...executions. The man cleared his throat sensing that perhaps he’d taken a wrong tack.


“I’m just pulling your leg miss Winly. The bishop is touching base with all the people in his area. You have nothing to worry about.” 


The man went on to give Kava the church address and some simple directions. Kava knew just exactly where the church was; she drove past it every day on her way to work. Still...what could he want...with her? Once again she felt guilty about how she’d answered the phone as the man said his goodbye's then hung up.


Mormons were well known for their clean language and morality. Although, now that she thought about it, there seemed to be a lot of Mormons who wore their religion like a fine suit. It’s great to look at out in public and it makes them seem so fine but then once they were out of sight they took it off, put on their grungy clothes and behaved very much like people they seemed to point fingers of condemnation at. Kava knew a few such Mormons and had done her best to simply avoid them but now...


“Oh what does he want?” 


Her stomach was doing flip flops. Kava tried to go back to sleep but the possibilities were endless. What if he had secret assassins waiting there to whisk her off to do only God knows what to her within the solid and mysterious walls of that temple? Should she call her parents and put them on red alert just in case?


“No....that’s stupid...good grief. Still...people have just vanished, never to be heard from again. It could happen.”


The cat had now tunneled its way deep within the folds of the bed covers where she could no longer hear Kava’s dramatics. Kava dropped her full weight onto the bed, the cat bounced an inch off the bed, meowing angrily before flying out from under the coverlet and out into the living room. She would pay Kava back later by scratching up her favorite shoes. Poomie was just that sort of cat. Queen of her realm and her realm was anywhere she had access to.


It didn’t take long for Kava to drop off to sleep again and in her dreams she saw big black vans with masked assassins coming for her. The inside of the temple was dark and terrifying with wooden altars, shackles, chains and a diverse collection of torture devices. The walls were so thick no one could hear you if you screamed at the top of your lungs. Kava imagined all kinds of horrific things she would be forced to endure until the military came to her rescue. She alone would be able to show them where the rest of the tortured captives were held...many of the women raped and held while the men took turns. When Kava awakened her forehead was damp with perspiration and she feared for her life.


“I will tell my father this Mormon guy wants to talk to me!!!” 


Reaching for her phone Kava began to see how silly she was being but hit her fathers number just the same. A wave of relief flooded her whole body when she heard her father’s familiar voice.


“Do you think I should be afraid dad?” 


He didn’t think she had anything to fear but he wasn’t sure he really wanted her to go looking for trouble either as he chewed on the mouth piece of his pipe. It was a beautiful pipe. It had been his grandfathers, then his fathers and now it was his. He and Kava’s mother had never had any sons so now he supposed the pipe would go from him to whomever Kava married.

“Mormons........” 


There was a long pause after he grumbled the word into the phone through clenched teeth.


“They certainly know how to get into a person’s private business but...this is a choice you have to make. If you decide to go...keep me informed. I’m intrigued now as to what they want with you.”


Kava nodded silently into the phone as if her father could see her then hung up. 


The day dragged on and Kava tried to keep busy, keep her mind off the fated meeting later that afternoon but the more she tried to banish it from her mind the bigger it became. Soon Kava jumped into the shower....what to wear? What does one wear to a meeting with a Mormon preacher? 


“Professional I think.” 


Poomie was now sitting by her feet. Having just eaten the last of her Nine Lives from her porcelain bowl, Poomie continued to lick her chops then her paws and then back again to her chops while Kava pulled out a very smart, black, dress suit. Slipping it on, Kava then pulled out matching leather pumps and black tights. Kava frowned as she surveyed her image in the full length mirror which hung on the inside of her closet door.


“I look like I’m going to a funeral!”


Kava blurted out frowning.


“Then again...ya never know...right?”


Poomie stopped licking herself to appraise her friend. Satisfied that all was well, the cat resumed her bathing ritual. Kava screwed up her nose disgruntled.


“Well YOU are NO help at all!”


It was only a quarter past four but Kava couldn’t stand it a moment longer. It wouldn’t take more than ten minutes to get to the church but better early Kava always said, especially in this weather.


The church was well lit and there were several cars parked around the perimeter. No big black vans Kava was relieved to note. Finding a space closest to the entrance in case she needed a hasty get away, Kava locked up her vehicle; a comforting sound was the brief honking of the horn.


Her heels clicked and clacked as Kava made her way up the cleared and salted sidewalk, up the stairs and through the door onto a tiled entry. The building felt warm and inviting, a beautiful painting of Jesus hanging directly in front of her on the wall; that was also comforting. There were people sitting on sofas and in chairs; they visited softly as they waited. Soon a man stepped out of the office and called the names of some of the people. One by one and sometimes two by two they were summoned and away they would go. Kava giggled quietly to herself at her secret little pun...two by two. Kava wondered if Noah might be in the building. Again she giggled, this time with a little more energy. Several of the lingerers cast her a questioning glance but no one spoke. 


Soon it was Kava’s turn. The man came out but didn’t simply call her name. He went right over to her and held out his hand in greeting.


“You must be Kava Winly!”


Kava stood to take his hand. He was warm and friendly, his smile genuine and his eyes soft and kind as they shook hands.


“Yes sir....I certainly must be! And YOU ARE?”


The man released her hand. He was in no hurry but was fully prepared to stand and visit for a minute. She liked that.


“I am Thomas Crenshaw, secretary to Bishop Hayes.”


He glanced out the doorway and into the darkening sky.



“It’s beginning to snow...was your drive fraught with danger or did you make it ok?”


Kava grinned...the edge leaving her person as she began to relax.


“The roads are still pretty slick but I have all wheel drive so I get where I need to go ok most of the time.”


The man smiled warmly, nodding his approval.


“My SUV has four wheel drive. We waited such a long time to finally get a nice, reliable vehicle and now I feel so spoiled. I’ll never go back to two wheel drive.”


He put his hand out to indicate it was time to go talk to the big man and Kava’s stomach jumped. Why couldn’t she just talk to this guy? He seemed nice enough. As she headed in through the doorway mister Crenshaw winked at her with encouragement, placed a kindly hand on her shoulder, and whispered...


“Good luck.”


Inside the office the bishop stood to shake Kava’s hand and introduce himself. Once the pleasantries were exchanged he indicated a chair with his hand and so she sat. It was a bit intimidating but nothing like what she had imagined.


“I’ll bet you’re wondering why you’re here.”


Kava laughed at his insight, raised her eyebrows and nodded her head.


“I have been wondering...after all...I’m...”


He stopped her abruptly.


“You’re not Mormon? Yes...I’ve been getting that a lot this month. You see, you’re new to this area and so am I. Seeing as you’re in my district or WARD...if you will. I just wanted to extend a hand of welcome, get to know a little bit about you and see if there’s anything you stand in need of. I understand you’re living alone in this big city?”


Again Kava giggled nodding affirmatively.


"But my folks are close."


“Well....we just like to keep tabs. If you find yourself in need we like for you to know you have some friends here. Please don’t hesitate to call on us.”


He wrote down his name, number and address along with the names, numbers and addresses of several other men and women. Pointing at each name on the list in turn.


“This gal is the relief society president and you can call her any time. Church...if you’re interested, starts at eleven a.m. If you want the missionaries for anything, this is them. If you never need help then no worries. We would love to have you to church but honestly....this is just to let you know we’re here and we will be here should you need anything.”


He then stood up as if to see her out but he surprised her.


“Do you mind if we end with a word of prayer miss Winly?”


No one had EVER asked her that, uncertain of how to respond Kava stammered out her response.


“Sure...I mean, what? Ok...yeah.”


The bishop smiled widely then folded his arms and bowed his head, Kava followed suit. 


“Our dear, kind Heavenly Father, we come before thee, as thy children, to thank thee for thy blessings, for they mercies and kindnesses and we ask that Miss Winly, thy daughter, might leave here today to travel home in safety. Please let her know she is loved and valued we humbly pray, with gratitude in our hearts for thy son and His sacrifices and we do this in His holy name, even Jesus Christ...Amen.”


Kava was shocked to find herself crying when she opened her eyes, the feeling in the room was so strong Kava had to sit down again. The bishop didn’t ask her any questions but simply offered her the box of tissues he kept on his desk. In an attempt to lighten the mood Kava spoke.


“So...the temples....they don’t do sacrifices, assassinations or torture in there do they?”


The bishop laughed heartily.


“No, no, no. It’s not secret...it’s sacred. We just honor the work and the ways of the Lord so much that we don’t discuss it outside the walls of the temple. It’s just more of God’s work. If you ever wonder if it’s good work or bad work it’s easy to tell. We are told that all good comes from God and all bad comes from Satan. Torture is bad, murder is bad. Doing vicarious work for our kindred dead so they can be reunited with loved ones and come to help us when we are in need...well that’s good and that’s what we do in the temple. Does that help?”


Kava nodded her head agreeably. Would she ever talk to the missionaries or use the numbers the bishop had given her? Who knew? It all depended on how much it snowed between the time she got home tonight and the time she had to get off to work in the morning. 


The bishop stood at his office window and smiled as Kava Winly talked to herself and giggled her way to her car.



The End

January 05, 2020 07:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.