1 comment

Fiction Holiday

I resolve to have a great year.

I resolve to reduce my sarcasm.

I resolve to have the greatest possible year that I can have.

I resolve to make an effort making this the greatest possible year I can have.

I resolve to put effort into maintaining good relationships with the friends I do have and let past personal conflicts with them be buried.

I resolve to try and make friends this year.

I resolve not to reach out to my family anymore, trying to see if things can be amended.

I resolve to listen to my wife when she says, “It’s them, not you.”

I resolve to keep my counseling appointments.

I resolve to continue taking my medication.

I resolve to spend less time on screens. I do believe people existed before the internet. Though the internet has made selecting ones easier.

I resolve to stay out of my children’s personal lives unless they ask.

I resolve to respect their personal privacy.

I resolve not to arrive at my daughter’s boyfriend’s house to talk to him at 11 o’clock on a school night. I will wait till when he’s wasted one night at a party and wanders off to take a leak.  

I resolve not to get angry with fellow parents at the kid's sporting events.

I resolve to drink only on weekends if at all. At least no more of that Bud Light shit. Fucking freak, they hired. Makes my skin crawl.

I resolve to continue to attend my AA meetings.

I resolve not to get depressed because of my personal issues.

I resolve to seek answers instead of dwelling on my problems.

I resolve to watch less television.

I resolve to go to the gym four times a week and to go for walks on the night I do not go (Weather permitting). Avoid the park after a man was seen talking to kids. I asked if they knew someone, a family friend. Can’t really blame them now though with recent activity.

I resolve to determine whether or not my wife and I can overcome our personal differences and desires and continue our relationship. Twenty-some years is a long time.

I resolve that if we can’t we at least treat one another more civilly, especially in front of the children.

I resolve we find an amicable way to move forward. Are the kids enough to keep us together? It’s been a blessing and a curse all these years.

I resolve to discuss with her the need for counseling.

I resolve never to text Debbie again and will block her.

I resolve to focus on my career. Do I want to continue to travel?

For obvious reasons I should but perhaps scale back the territory.

I resolve to write out long-term and short-term goals.

I resolve to investigate those fields of study I have always wanted to. Medicine, psychology, and anatomy.

I resolve to develop positive habits in my free time. Gym, language, music, reading.

I resolve to volunteer an afternoon once a month. Old people, kids, or cripples? Stay away from the kids. Always the homeless too. New materials.

I resolve to make these last twenty to thirty years count.

I resolve to stop lying. Not about my side business just the normal me.

I resolve to learn another language. Could help with that special trip abroad someday. But where?

I resolve not to beat myself up. Just others.

I resolve not to feel bad when things are going good.

I resolve to continue to be a good, decent, hardworking person.

I resolve to continue to work on my shortcomings.

I resolve we will take that family vacation aboard a nice cruise ship.

I resolve if the family trip aboard the ship does not happen that I will go on one myself. If such is the case, I FIRMLY resolve not to participate in activities likely to attract unwanted attention. I am familiar with police in the US, abroad would be another thing but perhaps something to plan…

I resolve to treat myself to a vacation I’d like to experience/one of my choosing.

I resolve to go see the temples of the Far East.

I resolve to read scripture each day from different religions.

I resolve to think about the afterlife. Will I see all of them when I arrive there? Will I be judged? Well, he made me so if he wanted me different, he should have made me different.

I resolve to continue my studies into the Mahayana Buddhist texts about the afterlife and find corresponding literature from the West.

I resolve to face the future head-on, no matter how terrifying. I think this will be an exciting and eventful year (Work on goals – next is selected. Date and time set. Still need travel approved.)

I resolve to assess my goals each week, month, quarter, bi- and annually.

I resolve never to write a drunken confession (this doesn’t count) and mail it to the police. I am still amazed the stolen car was not traced back to me. Smashed it into the mailbox and got my letter and got out of there. Drunk enough not to be injured. Lucky or someone is looking out for me.

I resolve to do better in society to balance what I’ve took. Better than being locked in a prison cell. Now I choose more selectively. Online poisonous people.

I resolve to stop driving by the high schools.

I resolve we will move. Somewhere near a forest and water. The southeast would work. Get out of the Midwest weather.

I resolve to attend boating lessons and eventually purchase a boat.  Dump the bodies off the coast – out into the channel. Could work.

I resolve never to select someone with whom I have had interaction. Her face haunts my dreams.

I resolve to change my modus operandi, as the police call it. Predictable, my ass. I’d be caught if I was predictable. Still, it does not hurt to reconsider established patterns.

I resolve to quit posting in anonymous chat rooms. Came close that one time. Never again. Though tempting. Never. Again.

I resolve to approach one day at a time and not look at all the things life appears to have stacked against me.

I resolve to look for the good.

I resolve to become a standup comedian!

I resolve to have a killer 2024!

January 05, 2024 15:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ana M
22:01 Jan 10, 2024

Your list of resolutions is incredibly thorough and reveals a mix of self-reflection, humor, and a determination for positive change.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.