The Beauty of a Musical Note

Submitted into Contest #26 in response to: Write about a character who was considered a prodigy when they were young.... view prompt

1 comment

General

   It all began on that Bright Sunny day, the day I would begin my journey to achieve my goal of being the World’s Best Musician.

 

    “Da da da dada‒”. I felt lost in another world as I played the piano. The feeling of my fingers hitting the keys were almost non-existent. I truly wish I could have sat there and played forever for I was truly happy.

    “Hey Dex!”. A voice was calling to me but I didn’t want to hear it because I was enjoying myself far too much to stop playing.

    “DEX!”. The voice grew louder and closer. I was nearing the end of the piece and I wanted to finish it.

    “One second” I replied. I put all my focus into the finale of the piece. My speed increased and my emphasis on notes became more frequent. In a way it felt like I was telling a story of a Dog’s Adventure to find his owner. As he ventures far and wide for his owner, meeting conflict and hardships along the way he finally meets his owner in a field of‒.

  “COME ON, WE’RE GOING TO BE LATE FOR SCHOOL.”. “Aah!”. I was shocked by the sudden loud yell that was too close for comfort.

    “Geez, did you have to yell that loud, Yara”. Yara, my stupid sister was a year younger than me and had long black hair that she constantly groomed. She is quite picky about what she wears and admires people who know what they’re talking about. I flipped over and fell flat on my head cause of her loudness. I slowly began to pick myself up as I glanced over at my watch.

    “Oh!, you’re right”. I quickly grabbed my backpack and my lunch while saying goodbye to Mom and Dad. “Well what’re you waiting for” I said while running out the door. Yara followed close behind me. “You, Idiot”.

  After several minutes of running, we finally reached the school and just in the nick of time. Luckily for us we lived 5 minutes away from the school. “Geez brother, I’m tired of always having to run to school because you never want to stop playing the piano”.

  “Well you’re in luck, today is the last day of Middle School for me”. To my surprise, instead of smiling, Yara wore a frown that told me she was going to miss me.

  “Do you really have to go to that prestigious Music school”. Yara sounded really sad and for a second I wanted to hug her and tell her “I’m sorry” but I knew that wasn’t an appropriate answer.

    I put a big smile on my face. “Well if I don’t go to this school then it would probably be impossible for me to achieve this dream of mine, especially since it’s the #1 Music School in the World”. Yara looked up at me and saw how happy i was and decided to drop the topic.

  “Oh well, you’re happy so I’m happy, but don’t come running to me when you need someone to remind you to go to school”. Yara and I then continued to bicker until we departed for each of our classes.

    The School day went by surprisingly quick and it was already almost time to leave. I sat in my desk thinking to myself while waiting for the bell to ring. “Aw man, I had so many memories here, it’s going to be hard to leave this place”. The memories from the past couple of years of Middle School began to come to me.

    “Hey Dex-bro”. I looked over to the right and saw my longtime best friend and rival who I've known ever since Grade School.

  “Hey Leo” I replied. Leo was quite tall for his age, unlike me who was slightly above the average height. Leo had black hair but decided to dye it blue because he liked blue, I tried to stop him but he wouldn’t listen to me. Leo and I began talking about our many experiences we’ve had so far. Suddenly, Leo turned towards me with a sort of evil smirk on his face. “I don’t know why I even bother asking but did you get accepted into Amadeus High School too”. 

  “You know it, wait you got in too”. “That’s Right”. I was shocked, Leo seemed like such a klutz I didn’t think he of all people would get into a school that every aspiring musician wants to get into.

  Leo comes to me and puts his fist against my chest. “I’m aiming for the same dream as you and there is only room for one at the top so come at me with everything you got, I want a good challenge”. Leo always sucked at keeping his emotions to himself especially at tense moments like these, so I could tell from the moment that big stupid smile showed on his face that he was very excited for what was to come in the Future.

  After talking a while with Leo, the bell finally rang. “Welp, time to go, come on Dex”. “Yeah just a sec, I still gotta pack my bag so I’ll see you outside once I’m done”. Leo waves goodbye and leaves the classroom. “Now where did I put my pencil”. I rummaged around anywhere and everywhere I could to try and find that stupid thing.

  I noticed a presence above me. “Looking for this”. The presence had a voice, and not just any voice a soft angelic one at that. I look up and to my amazement there she was the quiet beauty of our class Serenity Treba. Serenity had long blonde hair that was almost as light as the sun. She was about the same height as me and she had a calming aura around her with a pleasant aroma that was pleasant to the nose. I stood up and accepted the pencil from her.  “Thank you”.

  I then put my backpack on and begin to exit the classroom however I was stopped by Serenity. She stood in my way looking kind of confused as to what to say. “Can I walk with you” she asked. It was cute how awkward she was when Conversing with people. “Yeah sure” I replied.

  Serenity and I had a lot in common, surprisingly, she liked music so did I and she also has an annoying sibling that she loves to death. I reached the school entrance where I saw Leo and Yara waiting for me. “Well looks like I have to go so I’ll see you”. Serenity put her hand on my shoulder and stopped me.

  “Wait a sec, I have a question for you”. Serenity suddenly wore a serious expression. I grew curious as to what she could want from me. Then the thought hit me. “Perhaps she was charmed by me and now wants to be my girlfriend” I thought. I started to get really excited and hoped I was right.

  “Dex”. “Yes”. My anticipation was starting to stress me out. “Geez just say it already,” I thought. After moments of thinking to herself, she finally gazes at me with fire in her eyes. “Are you going to Amadeus High School”. I was shocked beyond belief, all my hopes lost but a question is a question so I kinda have to answer it. “Yeah”.

“Well in case you didn’t know, even though you got an acceptance letter there are challenges throughout the entire year to make sure that you are worthy of being in the School so basically what I’m trying to say is”. She pauses for a while trying to get the words out of her mouth.

  “G-G-Good Luck”. Serenity then runs off to her ride that seemed to have been mad at her for taking her sweet time. I then walked over to Leo and Yara who were also mad but more than that curious. Leo got me in a headlock and leaned over to whisper in my ear. “Wait a minute, wasn’t that the “Quiet Beauty” Serenity Treba”. I then break free from the headlock. “Yeah, it’s a long story”. Yara elbowed me on my right side. “Well fill us in”. As we walked home I filled them in on what happened between Serenity and I. “What Serenity is coming to High School with us, aw man next school year is gonna be sweet”. “I know right”. Leo and I both smile as we gave each other a high five. “You stupid idiots, let’s go before it gets too late”. Yara then dragged Leo and I by our arms so we could keep moving.

  After minutes of walking and conversing, Yara and I waved Leo off as we both returned home. “See ya next year, Dex”. “Yeah you too Leo, don’t forget to practice”. Soon, Yara and I arrived home only to find Dad waiting in the car. “Geez you Idiots, you kept me waiting, are you ready Dex”. I looked over to Dad with a smile. “You know it let me go grab my bag and say goodbye to Mom first”. I ran inside to my room and grabbed my bag. “Alright that’s everything”. After confirming if I was ready, I rushed out to the living room where Yara and Mom were waiting. I hugged Mom and signaled Yara to come over but she was covering her face. I took a closer look and noticed that she was crying. I felt guilty for leaving home like this but I had to go, otherwise I can’t achieve my dream of being the World’s Best Musician however I felt that I had to make this right.

  I walked over to Yara and gave her a big hug while patting her head. “It’ll be okay Yara I’ll be back someday”. Yara hugged me tightly while continuing to cry. “Please don’t go big brother, I’m going to miss you”. I looked back over at Mom who was struggling to hold back her tears. “Aw get over here you”. Mom smiled at my quip and rushed over.

  After hugging them for at least 5 minutes, I went out the door to the car where Dad was waiting, not so patiently. “Took you long enough”. I closed the door and he drove off while I waved goodbye. “Yeah well had to take care of the ladies”. Dad snickered and glanced over to me for a second while we were at a stop light. “So are you really serious about this Music dream of yours”. I looked over to Dad with determination in my eyes. “Yeah, I am”. Dad’s smile grew bigger as he saw my determination. “Well I guess your Old Man can teach you a thing or two about Music over the summer so you’ll be extra prepared, not that you need it since you pick everything I teach you up so fast”. I nod in agreement.


  Summer passed and soon it was time to go to Amadeus High. Dad drove me and said his farewells while he drove me. “Well next time I see you will be once you graduated since they have dorms here”. I began to sweat intensely in anticipation as to what the school would be like or who the people I encountered there would be like. 

We arrived at the entrance to the school. “Well I’ll see ya”. Suddenly, *POP*. “Ow what was that for”. Dad plucked me on the forehead. “Don’t be so nervous, just keep smiling and do your best.''. Dad then drove off as I backed away from the car. I turned around to face the school. “Alright Dad”. I raised my fist up. “I’ll do it, I’ll become the World’s Best Musician”. I smiled remembering what Dad told me. “Hey, outta the way”. Someone shoved me aside in a hurry. “If all you’re going to do is stand around here talking to yourself then you should just head home”. He rushed off to the school. I glance over at my watch. “Oh no I’m going to be late for the Welcoming Ceremony”. I rushed over to the faculty office. “Huff.. huff.. I-I’m huff.. here huff…”. The Principal approached me with a frown on his face. “Geez, you of all people shouldn’t be almost late”. I walked with the principal to the back of the stage where the ceremony was being held. “I hope you have your speech prepared”. I took a big gulp as I got my nerves prepared. “Yeah I’m ready” I replied.

  The Principal stepped outside the curtain and got all the students attention. “Hello Ladies and Gentlemen and welcome to the World’s Most Prestigious Music School and of the 1 million and change of people that applied, you 100 students are all that got in”. The Students started to applaud themselves for working hard to get in. “Now it’s time for the one that got the highest score on our entrance exam out of all 1 million and change of people to give you a speech”. I peeked out the curtain to see the Principal signaling me to come. “Alright here goes” I thought.

  I walked over to the stage and looked over at the 100 students that were all checking me out. “Hello Ladies and Gentleman, my name is Dex Basston and I am aiming for one thing and one thing alone to be the World’s Best Musician, so, come at me one and all, let us have fun and challenge ourselves to see what heights we can reach, and let us all rock the music world’s very structure”. I then bowed to a flurry of applause and cheers. I then walked over to my first class of the School year.

  To my surprise, I found Leo in that class and Serenity too. Leo came rushing over to me with eyes that were practically shining. “Dude, that was awesome”. “Yeah but it wasn’t really that much, I mean look, we’re at a school full of 100 people who all are aiming to be the best, how exciting is that”. “Yeah, I get you”. The teacher walked in. He looked about in his 50s with what I guess is average height, he also wore unique glasses that I’ve never seen before. “Alright class take your seats so I can check who’s here and not”. I tried not to notice but everyone’s attention was focused on me. The teacher then delivered the attendance to the office and came back with a smile on his face. “Alright, let’s just hop straight into the first lesson, today we are going to learn how to play different instruments than what you are use too”. The whole class then began to cheer in anticipation. “Man, this is going to be one interesting and fun school year” I thought.


That’s how my Journey began and now I’m wondering what’s next.


February 01, 2020 04:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Laurentz Baker
06:38 Feb 08, 2020

Enjoyed it...And great advice from the father. Do your best.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.