0 comments

Fiction Sad Friendship

 Babbling and burbling turquoise-blue water at day time, was now quite and dark. Far away in the middle of the river, a boat was floating calmly. She was there with only the moon above as company. The water was glistening in the moonlight. The wind swirled around her and frothing currents were unsettling the soft sand beneath her feet.

 She kept walking with a heavy heart, lost in her reminiscences. The incident at the jeweler's shop had stuck in her mind that disturbed her and lets her to the school days. 

 "How stupid I am!" Anna murmured while resting on a rock. An algae-scented wind passed by her which makes her more miserable. 

" I don't know how we drifted apart. She was my best friend, my buddy. We used to share our lunch, helped each others in studies. We never had a fight. Though we had difference of opinion in some matters, but we never argued about it. We had a great time together." Anna was mumbling.

" But now how she failed to recognize me? I'm the same as I was a few years ago." Anna was trying to figure it out. She failed to develop such bonding with anyone else which she had with Sarah. She took her mobile phone out. The dazzling light coming from the phone irritated her eyes for a while. She opened the contact list, scrolled it down and stopped at Sarah's number. She tried to recall when she had a conversation with her friend. And that was a few months ago when she texted her and wished her on her birthday.

 "Happy birthday, my sweet friend. May you live long and have a great life ahead. Stay blessed."

 "Thanks dear." Sarah replied.

 " How's about your day." Asked Anna as she wanted to talk to her further. But there was no response.

 "She must be busy." Anna thought. This was not the first when Sarah didn't answer. 

 "How are you busy bee?"

 "What's going on?"

 "How's your day going?"

 And all she received was a smiley face emoji, and sometimes not even this. Gradually, Anna noticed that she was the one who always texted Sarah first. Sarah never bothered to ask about her present condition.

 "I'm also very busy in my life, but I care for her. It seems she just don't even think about me." Anna often feels this, but she never questioned Sarah about it.

 Anna couldn't pursue her higher studies. But luckily she got a job. She had a pressing urge for higher education. She tried her best to study further, but she had other matters to deal with first. She never disclosed her mental condition to anyone. Always had a smile on her face as if she's satisfied with her present lifestyle. But deep inside, she was frustrated. She tried to share her misery with Sarah, but she never responded her in a positive way. She never tried to know how's Anna going through.

 " She'd be busy in her own lifestyle." Anna used to pacify herself by saying this. But something troubles her as if she's losing her best friend.

      ____________________

 Clouds covered the moon and blocked its beams which was trying to spear down from above. The water seemed more dark and deep. Ripples in the water couldn't be seen clearly, though Anna could feel them. She looked up at the sky, the clouds were moving slowly as if the moon was making its way to let the water shine again by its radiance. At last it succeeded. Now the water has small diamonds, shining on its surface. Her gaze returned to the sky where the moon was in full swing. She leaned her back against the rock, closed her eyes and felt the cool wind that touched her face. She could hear the gushing water and could smell the wet earth. The waves swept all her bitter memories away for a while, soothing her mind and leaving her calm. Then she remembered that she had to go home as her family would be waiting for her. 

 She stood up and headed towards the parking lot. After a while, she was at the riverside which was protected by a brick-built embankment. There were many exquisitely designed restaurants, illuminated with multi coloured electric lights, providing their services to the visitors. She paced slowly towards her car and got into it. She exited the parking spot and moved her car over the main road which leads to her hometown. While driving, she tried her best to not let her mind roam freely. But all in vain.

     _____________________

 "Please show me that bracelet." Anna heard a familiar voice behind her at the jeweler shop. She turned back and was stunned and exhilarated on the sight of her friend Sarah. She moved towards her and tried to get her attention.

" Hi..." 

 No response from Sarah as she was talking with the girl next to her about the piece of jewelry.

" Excuse me, Sarah." Anna said with a smile.

 Sarah turned to her and replied, "Yes."

Anna was a bit surprised on her reaction but kept smiling.

"Glad to see you here Sarah, I'm Anna." Anna introduced herself to avoid any further embarrassment in front of another girl.

"Oh!!! You Anna. You have been so changed. I hardly recognized you." 

Anna smiled on her remarks.

"She's my school friend, we studied together till graduation." Sarah introduced Anna to her friend.

"Nice to meet you." Said the girl.

Anna welcomed her compliment.

"Same here. Would you like to have a cup of coffee together? Anna offered them.

"Oh! I'm afraid we can't. We're just leaving now, have to reach home before dark. Mom's waiting for me. You know very well how possessive she is!" Sarah said hurriedly.

A boy at the counter gave her a packing. She paid for it and put it in her bag.

"It's alright. You must go." Anna replied.

"Ok, see you later." Sarah said and leave the shop.

"Bye..." Anna gave them a farewell, stood there for a while, figuring out the whole incident and then went out. She was depressed by the behaviour of the one who was once her beloved friend. Her mobile phone rang. She looked at the screen, her mother was calling her.

"Yes Mom!" Anna said while trying to hide her anxiety.

"Anna, where are you? It's getting dark." Her mother asked impatiently.

"Just hanging out with friends. Don't worry I'll be there within an hour." She replied.

"Ok and take care." Instructed her mother. Anna smiled. She wanted to spend some time alone to let off steam.

   __________________________

 She stopped at the signal. Again a storm of thoughts captured her mind. 

"I'm very emotional, sensitive and fool as well." She told herself.

"Stop worrying about those who don't even bother to think about you." Her conscience advised her.

"But we had spent memorable days together. We used to read novels then share our reviews, hanged out together. We're friends forever." Anna insisted.

 "No, it was just time passing. You spent those days together, had fun just like everyone else does. Now move on." Her conscience's voice made her speechless.

 Suddenly she came back to the real world with the sound of a loud horn. She immediately held the wheels and lead towards her home.

 "Yeah, that's true. I must move on now." Anna agreed. She parked the car in the garage and picked up her phone. There were some messages from her colleagues and family members.

" Many people care for me. I'm blessed with sincere relations. I won't let myself ruin them by mere dwelling in the past." She took a deep breath and entered the living room where everyone was waiting for her to have dinner.

June 03, 2021 04:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.