Flares of Exodus

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Start or end your story with a heatwave announcement.... view prompt

1 comment

Drama Science Fiction Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

"Good evening, this is the headlines for tonight. Our top story: humanity's final chance for survival. In a historic and unprecedented effort, millions of people are set to leave Earth aboard massive colony ships as a catastrophic solar flare threatens to scorch our planet with a brutal heatwave set to scorch the earth. The International Space Agency, in collaboration with global governments, will send some 10 million to ensure our species' future on 100 potentially habitable planets.

Cryo-sleep technology, still in its experimental stages, will be used to sustain the journey, estimated to take 300 years. The United States Government has opted for a tier 1 and tier 2 selection process, where tier 1 will be hand-picked exceptional individuals, for example, scientists, engineers, mechanics or farmers. And a tier 2 selection process by lottery for the remaining spots.

For the rest, this system is a bitter pill to swallow. Families are torn apart, friends separated, and millions left behind to face the inevitable doom. Among them is the Turner family, already strained by internal conflicts and haunted by a dark past. As the clock ticks down to launch, the story of our species survival is engulfed in sadness and difficult choices."

Lily trudged up the narrow staircase, each step a reminder of the endless hours she spent on her feet at the fish packing factory. The damp air of the apartment building clung to her clothes, a mix of sweat and the lingering smell of the sea. The stairwell was dimly lit, the flickering lightbulb above casting eerie shadows on the peeling wallpaper. Each creak of the wooden steps echoed through the building, a constant reminder of its age and disrepair.

As she reached the top floor, she could hear the muffled sounds of TVs and arguments behind closed doors. The hallway was narrow and cold, the walls stained with years of neglect. She pushed open the creaky door to their tiny apartment, the rusty hinges groaning in protest. Inside, the air was thick with the scent of mold and the faint, stale odor of cigarette smoke.

Karen, her mother, was slumped in a chair by the window, her eyes red and puffy from crying. The old blanket draped over her shoulders did little to ward off the chill in the room. The radiator had long since stopped working properly, leaving the apartment perpetually cold.

"Lily, there's a letter on the table," Karen said softly, her voice barely above a whisper. The words seemed to hang in the air, heavy with dread. Lily's heart sank. Letters had become synonymous with bad news ever since the government announced the solar flare and the lottery system for the colony ships.

Lily approached the rickety table, her hands trembling as she picked up the envelope. The paper was rough and slightly damp from the humidity. It bore the official seal of the International Space Agency. She ripped it open, the sound of tearing paper sharp in the silent room. Her eyes scanned the words quickly, her heart pounding in her chest, "unfortunately..."

The front door burst open, and David, her father, stumbled in, the smell of alcohol preceding him. His heavy boots thudded against the worn linoleum floor, and he waved a similar envelope in the air. "Guess who won the lottery for a Tier 2 spot!" he shouted, his voice echoing off the peeling wallpaper and filling the cramped space.

Lily's stomach churned. David, the man who had made their lives a living hell, had been chosen to escape. "And what about us?" she demanded, her voice shaking with a mix of anger and fear.

David's grin faltered as he slumped into a chair, the springs groaning under his weight. "Well, Karen and you didn’t get selected. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll manage," he said dismissively, his words slurred.

Just then, the door opened again, and Sam walked in, the cool night air rushing in behind him. He looked like he had seen a ghost. Taller than Lily remembered, with grease-stained hands and a weary look in his eyes, Sam seemed out of place in the dingy apartment. "Sam? What are you doing here?" Lily asked, a mix of surprise and relief washing over her.

Sam held up his own letter, the edges crinkled from being tightly gripped. "I’ve been selected as a Tier 1 candidate. They need mechanics on the ships," he explained, his voice hollow and tinged with guilt. The room fell silent, the weight of the situation pressing down on everyone.

The air was thick with tension, as if the very walls were closing in. Karen's eyes darted between her children and her husband; fear etched into her features. The small clock on the wall ticked loudly, each second amplifying the silence. "So, you just come back now? After all this time?" she asked Sam, her voice breaking.

Sam looked at the floor, his boots scuffed and dirty. "I had to come back. I couldn’t leave without trying to help you and Lily," he said softly, his voice barely audibles over the hum of the refrigerator.

Lily’s anger flared, hot and immediate. "Help us? You mean like how you helped by leaving us to deal with him?" She pointed at David, who sneered back at her, the acrid smell of his breath filling the room.

David scoffed, leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms. "Don’t act so high and mighty, Sam. You ran away. Now you come back because you got a golden ticket. How noble of you to come and save them from me." He smirked.

The tension in the room was palpable. Karen began to shake, her anxiety taking hold. Lily rushed to her side; her hands cold as she tried to soothe her mother. "It's okay, Mom. We'll figure something out," she whispered, though she had no idea what that could be. She glared at Sam. The texture of Karen's worn cardigan was rough under her fingers, a stark contrast to the softness Lily wished she could offer.

Sam stepped closer, his eyes pleading with Lily. The smell of grease and machinery clung to him, a reminder of the life he had built away from them. "I can try to use my position to get you both spots. It’s not guaranteed, but I have to try."

Lily wanted to believe him, but the years of disappointment and struggle made it hard. "Fine, but don't make promises you can’t keep," she replied, her voice hard and unyielding.

David interrupted, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Look at the family reunion. How touching. But I’m the one with the spot, and I’m not giving it up."

The room fell silent again, each member of the family lost in their own thoughts. The grim reality of their situation settled in, and the fragile threads holding them together began to fray.

As night fell, the cold intensified, and the draft from the poorly sealed windows made the room feel even more desolate. Lily stared out the window, the city lights flickering like dying stars. She knew the road ahead would be anything but easy, but she had no choice. For her mother, and for herself, she would fight. Even if it meant facing her worst fears and standing up to the man who had caused them so much pain.

The days following the selection announcement were filled with a tense, uneasy silence. The apartment, already small and suffocating, seemed to shrink further under the weight of their collective dread. The cold, damp air seeped through the walls, mingling with the musty smell of neglect and decay.

Lily’s routine at the fish packing factory became a lifeline, each monotonous task a temporary escape from the turmoil at home. The factory was a cacophony of noise—machines whirring, metal clanging, the constant hiss of steam. The air was thick with the smell of fish and salt, and the constant chill from the refrigeration units made her fingers numb. Despite the physical exhaustion, it was a reprieve from David’s volatile presence and Karen’s mounting anxiety.

One evening, after a particularly gruelling shift, Lily found herself standing outside a dimly lit building on the outskirts of town. The paint was peeling, and the windows were covered with grime. She had heard whispers at the factory about a man who could secure a spot on the ships—for a price. Her breath fogged in the cold night air as she hesitated, the enormity of what she was considering weighing heavily on her shoulders.

Inside, the room was filled with the pungent smell of tobacco and the low hum of hushed conversations. The man she was looking for sat in a corner, his sharp eyes assessing her as she approached. His greasy hair and the stale odor of sweat clung to him, making her stomach churn. “I need spots for my mother and me,” she said, her voice steady despite the fear gnawing at her insides.

He looked her over, a sly smile creeping across his face. “It’ll cost you. And even then, no guarantees,” he replied, his voice oily and insincere. The price he named was astronomical, far beyond anything Lily could hope to afford. Desperation clawed at her.

Back at the apartment, Sam was wrestling with his own demons. The government offices were a labyrinth of red tape and indifference. He spent hours in sterile waiting rooms, the fluorescent lights harsh and unyielding, illuminating the cracks in the system he was up against. The officials he spoke to were polite but firm—the rules were the rules, and no exceptions could be made.

Each evening, Sam returned home more exhausted and disheartened. The tension between him and David grew, their confrontations becoming more frequent and volatile. The apartment felt like a pressure cooker, ready to explode at any moment.

One night, after another fruitless day, Sam found David in the living room, the faint smell of alcohol already in the air. “You have to let them take your spot,” Sam said, his voice tight with controlled anger. “You owe them that much.”

David sneered, his eyes cold and unyielding. “I don’t owe anyone anything. I won that spot fair and square,” he replied, taking another swig from his bottle. The room was dim, the only light coming from a flickering bulb overhead, casting long shadows that danced eerily on the walls.

The tension between the two men was palpable, their words cutting through the silence like knives. Sam’s hands clenched into fists, but he kept his composure, knowing that a physical confrontation would solve nothing. The stalemate between them was suffocating, the air thick with unresolved anger and resentment.

As the launch date approached, Lily’s desperation grew. She made one last attempt to secure spots through the black market, offering the one only thing she had left to offer, herself, but the authorities were one step ahead.

It was late at night as the transaction was set to take place when sounds reverberated through a cold, lonely and silent building. Heavy footsteps of the authorities filled the narrow hallway, their flashlights casting harsh beams of light into the darkened room where she and the oily man were about to start.

Karen, already frail, collapsed under the stress as the news reached her, breathing shallow and rapid. Sam, stood by the window, frozen and helpless as his family was torn apart, he glanced reluctantly at Karen, unable to provide comfort the way Lily could. David shrugged, “dumb girl, always dumb. She should have left like you.”

He visited Lily, saw her handcuffed with her soul crushed by anger, remorse, shame and despair. There was no need for words; the look they shared was enough to convey their mutual resignation. The cold metal of the handcuffs bit into her wrists.

As he came home, all that was left in the apartment, was the remnants of their lives lay scattered and broken. The flickering bulb cast long, eerie shadows over the disarray. The oppressive silence that followed was a stark contrast to the chaos that had erupted moments before. David had passed out drunk and Karen sleeping.

Sam, was left standing alone in the wreckage, felt a crushing weight of guilt and failure. He had tried to save them, but the system had proven too rigid and unforgiving. The bitter realization settled over him, cold and unyielding as the night air. The gravity of the situation became painfully clear. The launch date loomed ever closer, and with it, the finality of their fate. The hope they had clung to was gone, leaving only the cold, hard truth. The future was uncertain, and the only thing they could do was hold on to each other as the world around them crumbled.

The day of the launch arrived, the sky above the city heavy with the promise of salvation for some and doom for others. The spaceport was a hive of activity, with families saying their tearful goodbyes and hopeful colonists preparing for their uncertain journey. The air was thick with the smell of jet fuel and the metallic tang of anxiety.

In the holding area, Sam stood among the other Tier 1 candidates, his heart heavy with the weight of his family's fate. The sterile white walls and bright fluorescent lights felt oppressive. He watched as David, still smirking with a false sense of triumph, was escorted to the Tier 2 boarding area. Despite his anger and resentment, Sam felt a pang of guilt for the life he was leaving behind.

Back in the detention center, Lily and Karen were huddled together in the visitors hall, a small and place along with others, sharing the last desperate moments with captured loved ones. The concrete walls were damp, and the air was filled with the faint odor of disinfectant and indifference. Karen's breathing was shallow and labored, her condition worsening by the hour. They said little, clinged onto each other, sharing what little warmth they had left.

A door opened and a guard entered, his face expressionless. "You have another visitor," he said, stepping aside to let Sam in. He looked tired and defeated, the lines of worry etched deeply into his face.

Lily stood, her heart aching at the sight of her brother. "Sam," she whispered, tears welling in her eyes.

Sam approached them, the cold seeping into his bones. "I tried everything, Lily. I did everything I could, but the system... it won’t bend. I’m so sorry," he said, his voice breaking.

Lily nodded, the weight of his words sinking in. "I know you did. We all did what we could," she replied, her voice steady despite the tears streaming down her face.

Karen reached out, her hand trembling as she took Sam's. "We’ll be okay, Sam. You have to go. You have to survive, for us," she said, her voice weak but resolute.

Sam felt a crushing sense of helplessness. He wanted to stay, to protect them, but he knew they were right. The future of humanity depended on those chosen to leave. "I’ll never forget you," he whispered, hugging them tightly. "I’ll carry you with me, always."

Sam walked away from the detention center, the cold air biting at his face. Each step felt like a betrayal, each breath a reminder of the life he was leaving behind. He joined the line of Tier 1 candidates, his heart heavy with grief and guilt. The countdown to launch echoed through the spaceport, a haunting reminder of the finality of their situation. In the distance he could see David in the tier 2 line, still half drunk and half awake. A sad representative of humanity, undeserving graced by luck.

The massive colony ship loomed ahead, its sleek metal exterior gleaming under the harsh lights. Sam boarded, feeling the weight of his family's sacrifices with every step. The interior of the ship was sterile and clinical, a stark contrast to the life he had known. He found his assigned cryo-sleep chamber, the cold metal and glass a chilling reminder of the journey ahead.

As the countdown reached zero, the ship rumbled to life, engines roaring as it prepared for launch. Sam lay in his chamber, the hum of machinery a constant presence. He closed his eyes, the faces of Lily and Karen etched into his memory, their voices a comforting echo in his mind.

Prologue.

Years later, the Earth was a barren wasteland, the solar flare having scorched its surface. Lily and Karen, left behind to face the apocalypse, struggled to survive in a world devoid of hope. The air was thick with ash and the stench of decay, the sun a harsh, unrelenting presence in the sky.

Lily scavenged for food and supplies, her once strong body now gaunt and weary. Karen, too weak to move, lay in a makeshift bed, her breathing shallow and labored. In the end, they faded away along with the rest of humanity.

In the vastness of space, the colony ships hurtled toward their destination with their passangers in deep cryo-sleep, like frozen emotional snap-shots that would thaw centuries from now.

August 06, 2024 08:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
16:39 Aug 09, 2024

A cold heat.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.