0 comments

General

walking down the parking place,heading towards the supermarket.In a quiet environment where there was no much noise;distracted by a moving shadow.

cold air was transporting through my veins from my head to the toes,chills as fear gripped my heart....

" Whose there?

I supposed it was only my imagination,as i stepped inside the supermarket;which was quiet.i kept on wondering how today the supermarket had no many people;it might be because of the poor economy due to the pandemic of covid_ 19.

The situation was worse off ,people couldn't step into the supermarket as they used to.A young lady carrying a big brown basket,immediately entered,and passed close to me.She had that warm smile towards me as she greeted me.

" hey!

I received her greetings with joy,continuing doing my shopping.

" Neh....neh...neh

My ears could hear a sound of a baby crying next to me;i was confused for i didn't know what was inside that basket the lady was carrying...

Anyway...

I had to mind my own business and not to be nosy nosy-

I felt a hand tapping at my shoulders;looking behind was the same lady holding tins of baby formula on each hand.

" please! Can you kindly tell me which is the best formula milk for the baby?

I showed her,in my heart i was delighted to help her in choosing the formula milk.

There was blackout;the light had gone off as panic engulfed people in the supermarket.After some few minutes,the lights were back.

Next to me ,i stared at the brown basket on he floor;which the lady was carrying.

" Where did she go?

Asking myself over and over that the puzzle wasn't created-

"Neh...neh...neh...

"That noise-

I had to open wide my ears as the noise directed me towards the brown basket;bending towards the basket on the floor.I was welcomed with a beautiful baby that laid inside the basket.

Oh no,how could one be so heartless to abandon a baby-

" Excuse me!

I called out to the supermarket attendant;who directd me to the managers' office.Giving the side of my story wasn't of any help,but puting it in a paper would reach he baby's mother wherever she is.

The police were called into this matter;coming together with children protection officer.

" can i keep the baby?

" No! There are ways you need inorder to adopt the baby," the officer told me.I was lonely,standing and looking them carrying the baby to a waiting van,as they drove off.

The next day,i coudn't wait for another single day;driving towards Imani childrens' home.My visit there was to adopt the little abandoned baby.Feelng relaxed in the office;the door slummed open and there was a lady carrying the baby on her arms.

I was on my feet,with that bright smile;my eyes twinkled like a star-

" Ma' am

Here is the baby-

I was delighted to carry the baby once again in my arms.

Blessing-

That was the name i gave her;looking directly in the baby's eyes as she was sleeping gently on my arms.It was time to take my new baby at home;saying goodbye to the childrens' home.

Flashlights everywhere;the news reporters were everywhere ,rushing towards me with questions towards me-

" how do you feel ...

Actually my heart was full of joy,my little daughter who is 8 years old,couldn't stop jumping round and round out of excitement.

" mama-

I wanna see the baby

Stretching herself,trying so hard to peep throgh the shawl to have that little glimpse of the baby.The surrounding was all filled up with people,pictures were been taken of us.

Walking towards the vehicle;people continuosly clapping their hands as they shouted-

"Long live,baby Blessing

It was a spectacular scene that have never seen before;the respect given to baby Blessing was out of measures.Driving away from the childrens' home;multitude of people followed our car,singing a happy song.

From a distant we could hear singing from our home compound;people were eargerly waiting as we droved into the compound.I noticed a young lady who was in the supermarket staring at me-

The lady saw that i had noticed her;as she started to run away-

" hey! Wait

Chasing after her;she couldn't stop but took off like a jet.pointing towards the direction;wondering how the lady was just miles away staring at her daughter.

" she was here....she was here

My sister headed towards me," Are you okay?

" she was here-

" who? My sister asked-

" Blessing's mother

I walked towards the house;looking behind hoping that i would see her again.Since that day i saw her,have never set my eyes on her again.

Baby Blessing was just like a little angel from heaven;as she laid on her crib watching her as she put that smile while sleeping.

Months,days,years went by and baby Blessing had turned into a charming little girl.Today was her birthday and she was turning one year old.

The house had been fully decorated;children playing happily-

A young lady with head scarf on her head;walked towards me tapping my shoulder.I didn't know who it was-

Yes-

The lady was silence and wasn't quick to utter any words;i tried to look through the scarf but she couldn't let me.

The weather started being cloudy like it will rain;the strong wind that blew off the scarf from the lady's head.To my surprise it was Blessings' mother and she stood with tears dripping from her eyes.kneeling down before me-

" am sorry-

I needed to see my daughter

I couldn't refuse her,allowing her to see the daughter;Blessing was so afraid that ran away to hiding place.The lady was filled with guilt,she couldn't stop shedding tears.

I held her hands,helping her to take a sit;offered her some water to quench her thirst.I felt pity on her that i had to help her.

" can you be my nanny?

The expression on her face,told it all as she was so excited-

The lady couldn't stop thanking me over and over again.It was difficult for the lady to be close to the daughter,as days went by;Blessing started getting used to her.My happiness was to see them happy.

July 30, 2020 15:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.