0 comments

General

“I’m off to the corner store!” I called from downstairs. “We’re nearly out of bread.” 

“Don’t take too long!” Marie said. 

“I won’t!” I slung my coat on and ran out of the house. We didn’t actually need bread. I needed to get out. We were only staying there because of all the reports of paranormal activity. Marie loved her ghosts. 

You were supposed to be able to see ghosts by taking photos of a place. If a strange orb or unexplainable blue light showed up on your camera or phone, it was a ghost. Different orbs meant different things, according to the website I looked on. All over the house there were black orbs. If you feel uncomfortable around a black orb, it’s evil and you need to leave. 

Marie wouldn’t leave. 

The corner store would be a nice opportunity to get some sugar and relax for a bit. I took my time walking down the street now that I was out of the house. The air was crisp and refreshing, the scenery was orange and red, and a couple of children were out playing. I waved to them, and they waved happily back. 

I smiled, and sighed. What a beautiful place. The corner store was now within sight. I continued walking slowly towards it, content and relaxed. 

The door was cold and heavy, like the atmosphere in the house. But the store was warm and welcoming.  

“Good morning.” I greeted the young man behind the counter. 

“Good morning.” I looked around the store for a little bit before he continued. “I haven’t seen you around before. Where are you staying?” 

“I’m staying with my friend at 407 Oakfield.” His eyes widened. “I know, I know, it’s pretty darn haunted.” 

“That’s not what I’m worried about. If someone is left there alone, they’ll be killed by the ghost of-” 

“I think Marie will be just fine,” I interrupted. “She loves ghosts. The thing would come up to kill her and she would start taking pictures and attempt to study it.” I continued my slow walk around the store, picking up a packet of Jolly Ranchers. 

“I’m telling you, your friend’s in real danger,” he insisted. 

“No, no, she’ll be fine.” I grabbed a pack of mints and walked to the counter. I picked out a box of orange Tic Tacs, and plopped them all down. 

“Just these?” The man asked, quickly scanning them. 

“Yep.” 

“Bag?” 

“Yes please.” He handed the bag to me. I reached into my pocket for my wallet. 

“Six ninety-seven, please.” He said. I gave him a five-dollar bill, and rustled around in my wallet for a toonie.  

“She really could be in danger.” He said. 

“Perhaps, but it’s unlikely. I doubt she’ll be anything less than annoyingly enthusiastic when I get back.” 

“If she isn’t there, don’t go in.” He said urgently. 

“That’s ridiculous,” I said, finding the toonie and giving it to him. 

“No, listen to me,” he said. “If you go in, you won’t come back out. He’ll get you.” 

“Who is this mysterious person?” I asked. 

“He killed many, many people in that house of his.” I frowned. It didn’t say anything about that online. 

“Go on,” I said, intrigued.  

“They weren’t good people themselves. He killed them, and hung himself in the kitchen.” 

“Odd.” I said. “Well, thank you. I suppose I’ll see you around.” I left the store and began the walk back to the house determined to enjoy it. I relished in the slight crunch of gravel under my feet, and the beautiful colours of the trees, but in the back of my head, I could still feel a nagging voice telling me to run. What if he was right? It said. What if I was killing Marie by not racing home? I pushed the thoughts to the back of my head. 

No, I would enjoy this walk. The house was gloomy and miserable, and this was open and free. The children still played in the road, the air was still crisp and clean. No reason to panic at all. 

Still, I found myself speeding up a little bit. 

Before I knew it, I was back in front of the house. It loomed over me like a dark giant, ready to crush me like a bug. I shivered.  

The gate creaked as I opened it, and the path overgrown with moss and weeds stood ready for me. 

Wearily I made my way up it, taking as much time as I possibly could. The front door was unlocked and slightly ajar. I frowned. That was odd. Marie preferred upstairs because it had more ghosts, and I had shut the door fully. 

I pushed past it anyways. No need to dwell. I hung my coat on its hook and closed the door. I frowned. Why did it have scratches? They weren’t there before. The owner was going to be angry.  

“Hello Marie! I’m back!” No reply. She must’ve been watching a video or something similar. I walked to the kitchen and sat down at the island. I opened the Jolly Ranchers and pulled out one blindly. Green Apple. Gross. 

I unwrapped and ate it anyways. 

“Marie! Food!” Still no answer. Huh. I left my candy in the kitchen and walked to the staircase. “Marie!” I yelled. Nothing. I sighed, walking onto the first step as if it would make her hear me. “Marie!” I took another step up. “Marieeeeeeeee!” As I stepped onto the next step, I noticed a liquid of some sort had soaked into the black carpet. “Marie, there’s something on the stairs!” I knelt down and touched it with my finger. It was thick and dark red. Blood? “Marie, there’s blood on the stairs!” Maybe it was hers? That would explain why she wasn’t answering. . . 

I raced up to the top of the stairs. At the top there was a pool of blood that I almost slipped in. I screamed and ran to Marie’s room. She wasn’t there, but her phone was charging on her nightstand. 

Marie!” I screamed. I ran into the bathroom. I heard a faint breathing noise from behind the curtain, and drew it back slowly. Marie lay in the tub, up to her stomach in her own blood. 

“Run.” She gurgled quietly. I screamed as loud as I could and sprinted for the front door. Just as I had reached it, I heard a slight click. The knob wouldn’t turn. I fumbled clumsily into my pocket for my phone, but it wouldn’t turn on. I desperately jiggled the doorknob, but it wouldn’t budge. 

I screamed.

March 04, 2020 19:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.