0 comments

Fantasy Mystery Friendship


Her Secret Power

It was a beautiful morning when Emma was eating her breakfast. Her pancakes had been drenched with syrup and had been oozing onto the plate. All the fruit and butter dripped off onto the plate. Emma could hear the birds chirping from outside her dining room window. But suddenly she heard arguing. It wasn’t her parents, and it wasn’t her neighbors. Where could it be coming from? It sounded as if 2 high-pitched voices from right next to her house were talking about something; screaming every 30 seconds. 


The arguing grew louder and louder and her ears started to tingle and burn more and more and she couldn’t help but cover them and keep itching. The pain grew and grew.


Emma decided to go outside since she was so curious. She was slightly frightened as well. As she walked out the back door she had left her unfinished breakfast on the dining table. It started to get soggy and inedible. Flies swarmed around it in just a few seconds. As Emma took her first step out the door the arguing came to an abrupt stop. She turned her head around looking everywhere to see where the voices were coming from. She was starting to think it was just a fragment of her imagination. She came back in to see that her breakfast had been wasted, and she just had to go to her room to contemplate everything that had occurred in the first hour of her day.


As Emma lay on her bed, she was waiting for her parents to come home. She just couldn’t forget. Maybe her parents knew what was going on. She waited and waited. Each second went by as an hour, each minute went by as a day, each hour went by as a week. Her mom told her that she was going to the mall, and her dad was at work. She couldn’t wait any longer. She pulled out a book from her side table drawer and started reading. She slowly drifted off to sleep. It hadn’t even been a full minute when suddenly Emma heard something. This wasn’t your ordinary sound that might come from your vents, walls, or anywhere else in your house. This time it wasn’t the same arguing as it was before. 


Could it have been her parents? She had to find out, half-asleep Emma got out of bed and did a quick stretch. Then the door opened. Emma immediately knew something was wrong; she hid under her bed. She slowly came out and peeked through the doorway. Her parents couldn’t come in because none of them had house keys. When Emma peeked through her bedroom doorway she couldn’t believe what she saw.


Emma started freaking out. Her ears were tingling again, she looked as pale as snow when she saw a big, brown bear in her house! The bear had opened the door somehow and had entered her house. Emma started panicking and kept thinking, “please please please, PLEASE go away!!” In shock, Emma watched as the bear took the remaining of her breakfast and gulped it down like it was water. But then in amazement, The bear stopped. Turned around and walked right outside and shut the door. “Strange, very strange” was all Emma could think. At Least the huge lump in her throat was gone and her ears were normal again.


That was the second time something strange happened like that. First arguing, and now a bear?! Something was very wrong and Emma had to find out what was happening. Emma went to the dining room where she previously had been eating her breakfast. She made sure that there was no more mess from the bear that had barged in. There was only her plate which had syrup on it so Emma cleaned the plate and went to the door. Emma’s ears started to tingle just a little bit. Almost like a scratch with no nails, a very soft scratch. She stood right in front of her closed door. She thought, “Maybe I’m not ready yet. but if I wait until I am ready, I might be waiting until the rest of my life.”


So as Emma put her hand on the doorknob which was glimmering in the light, her heart was pounding. And she felt it. Once again, her ears started to tingle, they became as red as tomatoes as she heard something. Nothing like she heard before. That day she had heard a lot of strange things but this was different. She opened the little blind on her backdoor. It seemed good. Emma saw all the trees and pretty flowers through the door window. She started to get mesmerized. She had never really paid that much attention to nature. Now she understands how beautiful it really is.


Distracted, Emma kept looking through the window and her hand slipped off the doorknob and she didn’t even notice. Her eyes grew wide. They were as big as tennis balls. She shook her head in disbelief.


“What has gotten into me?!” Emma says in shock to herself. There was just something about all the pretty green leaves on the tall pine tree, and the pink, yellow, white, and purple flowers growing from the ground and some in the big bushes that told her something. She just didn’t know what. Emma finally remembered what she was doing at the back door. She carefully opened her door just halfway and it seemed to be fine. So Emma opened it fully and she felt something on her, it was like a slight pinch but didn’t hurt. It felt like little sharp hands grabbing onto her thigh. But then something happened. The little hands started moving up until her stomach. Emma glanced down and she saw a fluffy tail swaying in the breeze from the open door. She saw a chubby little body on four legs. It was a squirrel! A squirrel managed to quickly climb onto Emma’s leg! In fright, Emma swiped the squirrel but suddenly she felt bad. It was like fire shot up her bones up until her heart.

 She quickly without even a thought scooped up the squirrel in her arms and put it down to safety out in a little shelter she made out of sticks.`She turns around to head inside and hears a light, soft voice.


“Thank you, kind human,” The voice said. 

“Where did that come from!!?? Who said that!?!?” Replied Emma with fright. You could see the troubled shock in her eyes. Her ears were glowing red again and she looked around. Then Emma heard a hopping sound. Every 2 seconds she heard a light stamp on the ground. She decided to look around.


After only about 30 seconds she found out where it was coming from. An adorable little fluffy tail poked out of a bush. Slowly a small gray body comes out of the bush, then long ears then a little head pops out of the bush. It was the most adorable little bunny Emma had ever seen in her life! She cuddled it in her arms but suddenly something unexpected occurred.


Emma would never have thought this would happen but the bunny's little mouth started moving. It wasn’t just that though. There was sound, and not just any sound, there was talking. The bunny started talking!!


“ Hi little girl!! You're squeezing me just a tad bit too much, would you mind loosening your arms a little bit? Please?!” The bunny asked. For a second, Emma thought something was in the pancakes that had made her hear and see things but that was impossible since she made them herself. She knows exactly what was in there. But then it hit her. 


“ You can TALK???!!” Emma screamed at the top of her lungs. She quickly let go of the rabbit as fear filled her eyes with slight sorrow and worry. Emma felt sick. She kept thinking worrying thoughts such as “ Am I sick?” or “do I have some sort of disease?” 


“ Hold on, you can actually understand me?!” said the bunny. 

“ I don’t know” was all that slipped off of her tongue.


Emma remained speechless as she stared at this bunny. Her mind is trying to solve a puzzle, but she is only at the beginning. Abruptly, she puts some pieces together.


“Was it you who was arguing this morning?” Emma asked curiously. 

“Arguing? Oh yeah, that was Mia.” The bunny replies right away.

Emma was a little confused, who was Mia? She asked the bunny and he replied and said it was the birds. Emma felt so dumb, how could she not know the birds were the ones who were arguing. At first, she had heard chirping then arguing. Emma went to find Mia as the bunny led the way. She wants to put all the pieces of her puzzle together as soon as possible. Emma was eager to solve this mystery of her secret power.


As she was finding Mia Emma heard a doorbell. She was startled by this loud noise because she was so focused on completing her task. She had totally forgotten about her parents coming home. She ran to the door and peeked through the door hole and saw her parents. She swung open the door and jumped onto her dad with a hug.


“What happened” the dad chuckled and laughed.

“You won’t believe it, I can understand animals, well at least a bunny. It could talk!! It was so cra-” Emma was cut off from her mom. She had a worried look on her face. Her eyes looked troubled. Emma could tell something was wrong.


“ Wait, what's wrong? You wouldn’t happen to know what’s happening to me, would you?” Emma was curious and confused. 


Suspiciously her mom said, 

“ No not at all, you're just imagining it, Emma. You know animals can’t talk. You're old enough to know that.” Her smile grew crooked and she quickly rushed off to rest then make dinner. Emma’s dad rushed off too.


Emma had just got new puzzle pieces to put together. Why were her parents so suspicious. So skeptical. So doubtful. Emma had a feeling her parents were lying.


Emma was getting tired from all this thinking. Her head was throbbing faster than her heartbeat. Her hands flopped down beside her as she did the worst jump attempt on her bed. Instantly her eyes lowered lower and lower. She fell into a deep sleep. 


Meanwhile, the bunny was trying to search for Emma. She had just wandered off as soon as the doorbell rang and never came back. The bunny was hopping all around the perimeter of the house, trying to find her. He was not about to give up, He loves quests and journeys. And this was going to be his first one! At last, He found her bedroom window and peeked through it. He screamed at the top of his little lungs. 

Instantaneously, Emma’s eyes grew wide. The first thing that went into her mind was,


“Time to complete my puzzle. I’m not going to stop until I’m done with my task,” Emma assured herself. She was confident that she would stay determined. Emma barged out the door like a player in a marching band. It was time to start her journey. Emma secretly had a little seed of doubt in her mind, but she didn’t want to reveal it and let it come over her. Also, she had just noticed that my ears aren't tingling anymore. Her ears stopped glowing red each time she heard something strange. Her seed of doubt starting fading. But maybe it would come back.





After she walked out the doorway, a little furry friend joined her. She saw coming out of the corner a tiny little familiar head. Then a little body came out. The bunny hopped and hopped until he reached Emma. 


“Hey bunny.”

“Ahem” announced the bunny in an annoyed voice.

“Oh sorry, hey Clover!! I'm so happy you came! Let’s go find Mia”


So Emma and Clover went to go find Mia. Clover is a chatty bunny. He kept on talking and talking faster than a cheetah runs. He was really excited about this. As Emma and clover walked on the path Emma's little seed of doubt started to turn into a sapling. Her worries were starting to take advantage of her. But she couldn’t let that happen. Emma surged through it. She said before that she wouldn’t let anything stop her. And Emma always kept her word. The two kept going. They soon found some nests in the tall trees by her house. Then in her amazement, Clover went to the tree and did a weird knock. It sounded like a pattern! She watched as he did 3 loud knocks, 2 quiet knocks, 2 loud knocks, and 4 loud knocks later. Then a bird flew down. It had red fur and white fur by her feet. She looked up at her nest and instantly a bluebird came down at a 180-degree angle. It flew straight down. 


“Were you the birds who were arguing this morning?” Asked Emma, suspiciously.     

“Oh sorry about that. We promise to be quieter from now on.” Mia said, feeling a little guilty. Robbin apologized to Emma and asked them if they wanted to join her. The birds joined willingly. As they all went on Emma suddenly got confused with herself, what exactly was she trying to do? She just had to accept the fact that she can talk to animals. When she actually thinks about it, she actually thought it was pretty cool. I mean, can you blame her? She has a superpower! As the animals walk Emma comes to an abrupt stop. She smiles and walks all the animals home. She finds her parents and tells her it's real, she can talk to animals. Her parents show a fake smile. But Emma knew that they were acting odd. 

“Ok, what is wrong you two?! I know something is up. Tell me!” Emma shouted, she was furious. Her cheeks were burning, her fists were clenched. Her eyebrows narrowed. Her parents were doubtful. Chuckling, they kept saying nothing was wrong. But finally, her mother gave up the act. Her mother confessed what was really going on. 


When Emma's mom was a kid, she used to have the same power. A power to talk to woodland creatures. Her mom never knew that her daughter would get the power. She never knew it would be genetic. The mom's fake smile turned into a frown. A very sad frown. All Emma could think was wow. She felt betrayed, I mean she had been lied to her whole life. She just walked out the door and went back to her new friends. It was time she starts a new life, with animals and nature. She knows she will have a good life.


               THE END  














March 22, 2021 17:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.