4 comments

Fiction

“Hello?”

“Ms. Lacey, you have a delivery to pick up.”

“Okay, thank you, sir.  I’ll be down to pick it up later.”

“Actually, ma’am, we’re going to need for you to come down and get it now.” 

“Now, why?  I’m in the middle of something. Can you have someone bring it up?”

“Very well, ma’am.  I’ll send Albert right away.  You may want to make some space.”

“Make some space?  For wha-”

Dial tone.

“That was weird,” Samantha Lacey mused to herself.  She really didn’t like being interrupted, but if it was important enough to send someone up with it, she supposed she should make some space somewhere.  But, space for what?  How much space?  She didn’t remember ordering anything recently.  It wasn’t a holiday and her birthday had been last week, so she wasn’t expecting anything, either.  Getting up from the computer, Samantha walked across the room and moved some books and a puzzle off the table to “make some space.” She still couldn’t imagine what she would be receiving or why.

Knock, knock.  Samantha opened the door and barely had time to ask what was going on before Albert, with a large something under a sheet, strode in, uninvited, looking for a place to put the “delivery.” 

“This has just come for you, Ms. Lacey.  Where would you, ah. I’ll just put this right here on the table for you.  Have a good night,” and then he walked out leaving Samantha still holding the door open.  She closed the door and stood beside the “delivery” that had been placed on the bare spot on her table.  “What the-?”  As she was staring, she had another knock on her door.

“What is this?” she started to ask, but Albert, instead of answering, thrust an envelope into her hands, muttered “sorry, ma’am.  I forgot to give this to you.”  Then he spun on his heel and headed towards the elevator.

“Wait! What is this about?”

“Good day to you, ma’am.” And then he was gone.  

“Weird.”  

As she turned back into her apartment, she heard something.  She lived alone and didn’t have any pets so where would that have come from? 

“It must have been the air conditioner kicking on,”  She thought and closed her door.  Then she heard it again.  It seemed to be coming from her “delivery.”  

“What in the world?” 

She walked over to the table and reached out to get to take the sheet off when she heard a definite rustling of movement and then, a squawk?  Her heart pounding in surprise, she yanked off the sheet and saw…

“A cockatoo? What the heck?  Who would send me a cockatoo?” 

More squawking. 

She started to head back to her phone and remembered the envelope still in her hand.  She opened it and read the card inside.  It was a birthday card from her father.  

“Hey, baby girl,

It’s Dad. I know it’s late, but I wanted to give you a birthday present.  I saw it in the store the other day and knew I needed to get it for you. You always wanted one as a child. I wish I could be there to see your face!  I hope he brings you as much joy as you always thought one would.  I know it’s been a while since we’ve talked, but I would really like to connect again.  I do miss you, Sam.  I know I wasn’t a good father, but you’re still my baby girl, and I’ve always loved you.  I’m sorry it’s been so long, and I do hope you can forgive me, and we can have some kind of relationship again.  Call me sometime.  555-555-5555

Anyway,  happy birthday, Sam. 

Love, Dad.

P.S. His name is Lyle.

“Lyle?! Who names a bird Lyle?” Samantha exclaimed incredulously. “ And why a bird? What kind of present is this?”

Lyle squawked again, loudly and Samantha hastily threw the sheet back over the cage.

“What am I supposed to do with it now?  What do you even feed a bird?  Am I supposed to let it out for walks or something?  Oh! Yes, let it out.  Maybe he’ll fly out the window, and then I would have to worry about it!” As terrible of an idea as this was, Samantha hurried over to the window, opened it wide, and ran back to the cage and opened it.  

Lyle blinked at her a couple of times, but otherwise remained perfectly still.  Then he squawked again.

“What does that mean?  What’s wrong with you.  There’s an open window.  Go on!  Out!  Freedom!”  She waved her arms and ran back to the window gesturing for Lyle to fly.  This time, he tilted his head and squawked again, a little louder.  

“Seriously!  It’s an open window! Don’t you want to fly out?  Go! Be a good bird and fly away!  Please!” 

Lyle tilted his head the other way this time, but still stood otherwise motionless.  

“Crap.”  

Samantha closed the window again and stalked back to the cage.

“What am I supposed to do with you now?”  

“Chirrup,”  was the quiet response.  

“I don’t know what that means,” Samantha responded.  “She looked around the table and in the envelope again to see if there was anything else.  

“Nothing.  Who gives someone a bird with no directions or any information on how to take care of it?!  This is ridiculous.”  She threw her hands up in frustration.  “Ugh!  I don’t have time for this.”  

Samantha turned back to her phone and dialed the front desk downstairs.  

“Yes, Ms. Lacey?” came the voice on the other line.  

“Yes, hi.  I think there’s been some sort of mistake here.  I didn’t order a bird.  I have no idea what to do with it or how to care for it.  I’m going to need someone to pick this thing up and return it.”

“Return it, ma’am? To whom?”

“Um, my dad, I guess.  Yes.  I will get his address for you, and you can send it to…”

“Ms. Lacey, we are not the post office. We do not send off packages, or pets, so unless there is something else, good…”

“No! Wait!  It’s not a pet.  It’s a mistake. It has to go.”

“I quite agree with you, Ms. Lacey, but that is something you’ll have to arrange yourself.  Now good day, Ms. Lacey.”  

“And he hung up. Ugh.”  She picked up the card and read it again.  “Fine, dad.  I’ll call.”

Samantha dialed her father’s number and after 3 rings, heard her father’s voice.  

“Hello?”

“Dad? It’s Sam and…”

“Haha! I got you! Leave your name and number after the beep, and I’ll call you back. Bye!”

“Real funny, Dad,” Samantha grumbled. Once the beep sounded she said “Dad, it’s Sam.  I just got your delivery.  I’m not sure what you were thinking, but I can’t keep this.  I have no idea what to do with it.  I need for you to send someone to pick it up and return it.  Thanks,” and she hung up.  

“Yeah, thanks for nothing.  Nothing but trouble. I guess you didn’t want to talk after all.”  

She put her phone down again, turned around…  and screamed.

Lyle had flown out of the cage and landed on the keyboard of her laptop. The direct message she had been typing to her high school sweetheart had just been sent.  

“No, no, Nooooooo!” She screamed again. “What have you done?” 

“Squawk?”  Lyle blinked his eyes and tilted his head.  

“Shoo! Move bird!  How do get it back!  How do I delete it?  How do I fix this?  I wasn’t actually going to send that!  What will he think?  What am I going to do now?”

Ding!

“Hi, Samantha. It’s been a long time.  I’m glad you reached out. I had been thinking about you, too.  We should definitely catch up. Up for some FaceTime?”

“Wait. What?  You were thinking about me, too? FaceTime?”

“Wow. Hey Sam. It’s nice to see you again.” 

“Hi, John. It’s been a long time.  You look really go-  I mean, you’ve aged well.”

“Thanks, Sam, you look great, too.”

Suddenly, Samantha felt a soft thud on her shoulder and almost jumped when she saw Lyle sitting there.

“Hey! Is that a cockatoo?”

“Oh, yeah.  This is my pet, Lyle.  I just love him.  He’s my bestie.”

December 23, 2020 03:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

John K Adams
00:08 Jan 14, 2021

You definitely plumb the depths of frustration at receiving an unwanted pet. The emotional twist at the end was good. You might get more out of that. I can attest to the yearning one has for a long absent parent and vice versa. Solid effort. Hope to see more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elise Volkman
17:23 Dec 31, 2020

This is such a sweet story, Amber. I loved her reaction to the bird's name ("Who names a bird Lyle?!") and the ending was unexpected, yet delightful!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amber Medina
21:43 Dec 28, 2020

Thank you for the feedback. Looking back, I agree that there could've been more background on Ms. Lacey to lead up to the high school sweetheart. I will keep your comments in mind as I write in the future. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vinci Lam
02:12 Dec 28, 2020

Interesting story, Amber! I really like the protagonist and would love to see more about her. I think you could've set the story up better in the beginning so it doesn't jump to the high school sweetheart bit so abruptly. Maybe some more hints of her lonely life etc. I think there's a lot of good stuff there to work with!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.