3 comments

Kids

It was just a matter of time before the clock tick tocked 1pm, so I could go home and be in a world of my own; my room, which had brightly colored walls, alot of books and few toys. Amanda Troy!! Ms. William called out. What's the opposite of bizarre At this point I had a fixed gaze on the board, a sign of apt attention but I was distracted. Emily quickly tapped me to life. Yet after seconds of brain storming, I still had no answer. No one else did, so that became an assignment for the whole class. Emily and I have been friends we shared alot of things in common; from the fact that we both had single moms, to the ponytail hairstyle, shared the same desk at school , sharing the same ride to and fro school and we also lived in the same neighborhood. 

   "Mum, I'm back"." Welcome sweetheart, I'll be off for a business meeting. Nancy will be taking care of you till I'm back". All these she said hurriedly while packing her brief case. She crashed into Emily who was at the door. "Wow!! your braces sure looks good on you" "Thank you ma'am" Emily was blushing. Mum gave us a kiss on the forehead and zoom, she left. Nancy came in at a snap of the finger (she's been my nanny for a years now since Dad and Mom divorced). "Always stay in a place" was her hashtag never giving space for an adventure round the house. But today, she was exceptionally kind. Emily was staying with us till her mum gets back that evening. Nancy's gesture was timely.

We were going to play hide and seek after dinner and we anticipated that while doing our home work. "Can't we do it now?" Nancy gave no answer and that meant a no till it was time. "You go first", said Emily at the count of 10. 1,2,3...10, coming through!! I had found a perfect spot in the basement. Sounds creepy right but this one was neatly arranged void of clawing spider webs, old dusty book shelves, bloody weapons and the rest as told in stories. We just moved into the house recently and everything was speck and cleaned. "You can't hide" she said rather luring. The door creaked open.I was ratted out. "There , she's behind the tool box" Nancy had joined in the game too. It was Emily's turn to be "seeked". At the count of ten too she was out of sight. I docked round the house like a sniffing dog. Bingo!! Found Emily under the dinning table, so easy. "Didn't you have better options", I mocked at her. Finally it was Nancy's turn. Two children to one adult, what an equal ratio I thought. 1,2,3...10!! We chorused, it was getting exciting. But the suspense from Nancy's hideout didn't thrill us that long. We found her in the lower kitchen cupboard. Yeah, no disrespect to her size but that how small she was. In our excitement we tossed down some utensils. "Clean that up" she lashed out. That really didn't matter we were having fun not until Emily's mum came to pick her up, leaving the whole clean to me.

The earlier I finished the task I more time I would buy myself to finish to read a novel. Nancy was in the sitting room watching a TV program rated 18 (don't worry, she was of age). "Don't come in here till you're finished" "Yes ma'am I..." Didn't complete my statement before my hands felt something cold, with circles bound to an endless rope that went round again. I couldn't see, but as I brought it out, it was a rosary. A rosary with no crucifix. We weren't Catholics, neither was Nancy so how come? Finished arranging the utensils in the cupboard and left for my room. I didn't reach half of the the book which was about faries.Mum wasn't back yet but I had to go to bed. I wondered why the rosary on my reading table had no crucifix, drawn to it's mystery I spotted that each pearls had dates on them. It was 24th July but did that really matter?

I had the strangest of feeling, a fairy tale had just come alive. "Welcome Amanda, I'm your Godmother". She had sprinkle of fairy dust round her immaculate pink dress, with hypnotizing cat eyes she had a wand that served two purposes; a mirror and a conjuring stick. Godmother Anna also smelled like strawberry, what else did I want ? I was fascinated. But she had an awkward look on her aging face, that pricked me a lot. "A crazy witch is about to invade your Happiness island". I had this blank expression on my face after she said that. But I've been unhappy several times so why does this one matter. "It could break you forever" So quick!! she read my thoughts. "How do we defeat her?" I was now a sidekick about to fight a vilian.This witch lived in a cave were she cast spells and prayed evil on people. The plan was to get the pearl which was dated 24th July. The rosary hung on the wall of her workspace. A little magic words and I was in her den, Godmother said to me; "This battle you must fight alone. It's for your mum's life." I swung into action only to be cut in by an expectant host. Her appearance startled me, she looked just like Nancy, from the. She charged towards me, but as soon as I could spell the magic word ABRACADABRA, she was restrained I grabbed the Pearl dated 24th July, Godmother said solve one problem at a time (how many led in front of me, I had no idea). When I got my object I had to run for my life . I delivered the Pearl to godmother before 00:00 she sprinkled the fairy dust while singing.When she was done with the whole display, I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. Have I been sleeping? "You look frightened sweetheart , did you have a bad dream?" It was my mum, she was home and alive ( Did she know I was her hero?) I gave her a bear hug while she said I love you Amanda. 

During breakfast, she told me of how she almost got killed in an accident. Accident?? I screamed out."Yeah baby but I'm fine now". I told my mum of my dream and the rosary I found, but she waved off the whole insinuations (I saw that coming). Taking a closer look at the rosary and my calendar I discovered that all the days on the pearls were Fridays ( the only days when Emily came over and Nancy would watch over us) that was bizarre. Next Friday, if the incident repeated itself, I vowed to destroy the rosary (I didn't want to take any chances).


May 29, 2020 10:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Amelia K
21:45 Jun 03, 2020

Nice

Reply

08:15 Jun 04, 2020

Thank you Amelia

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Steven Pittaro
11:16 Jun 13, 2020

Here for the critique circle. Really like the idea for the story and the style of writing, particularly it being from the kid's POV. I think you captured that really well. For suggestions, I would recommend separating the story into more paragraphs. It makes it easier to read and can be used to separate ideas too. Also, some self-editing goes a long way too. Just rereading your story once you can catch a lot of errors. I'm not saying there are a lot, but there is one sentence that ends with "the" and seems like it was meant to go somew...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.