The Labyrinth Of Belle Harbor

Submitted into Contest #124 in response to: Set your story in a labyrinth that holds a secret.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Mystery

Secret Passages, secret chambers, mysterious pathways, the labyrinth of Belle Harbor has haunted the town for generations and no one dares to investigate.

Belle Harbor, a tiny little fishing town of 500 people have lived with a dark secret since the founding of the town, a secret that scares people to their very core, one that no one dares talk about.

One person in Belle Harbor dares to do the unthinkable and goes to the labyrinth of Belle Harbor.

Kadence Morgan, an investigative journalist has venture to Belle Harbor to investigate the secrets and mystery of the labyrinth.

Kadence has always been fascinated with the mystery of the labyrinth and when she finally got the chance to come to Belle Harbor and do a story about the labyrinth, Kadence couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Kadence has been in Belle Harbor for the last four days and ever since she arrived the residents have been frantic with worry.

Nobody has talked to Kadence about the labyrinth, they all just ignored her, and now Kadence finds herself at the entrance to the labyrinth.

It took Kadence awhile to find the location of the labyrinth, the residences have kept the location a secret from outsiders for the very reason Kadence has noticed.

They don't want anyone outside Belle Harbor to know its secrets, but now Kadence has found the labyrinth ten miles outside of Belle Harbor.

Kadence has notice since she came upon the road to the labyrinth that the area has an aura around it and it's not good.

The history of the area which Kadence has found only bits here and there is the area was once home to a Native American tribe, the tribe Kadence does not know.

Kadence is hesitant to go in, she was excited to find the labyrinth, but now not so much.

"You shouldn't go in there you know."

Kadence looks over her shoulder and sees a man.

"Who are you?"

"Name is Connor."

"It's nice to meet you Connor. I have a story to do and I'm going to do it."

Kadence enters the labyrinth. She turns on her flashlight. She looks around and sees nothing unusual.

"Don't go. You won't be seen again."

Kadence doesn't listen and continues. She comes upon multiple passageways. Kadence doesn't know which one to go into, that is until she hears a noise coming from the middle passageway.

Kadence walks to the middle passageway, stops, points the flashlight down the long corridor. She sees nothing, then Kadence hears the noise again.

She calls out "Is anyone there?"

Kadence hears nothing calling back to her only the silence of the labyrinth. She decides she has had enough and turns around to go back, but the noise comes back.

"I told you not to go in."

Kadence jumps.

"What are you doing here?"

"I followed you in."

"Why?"

"I protect those who enter the labyrinth."

Kadence turns back around and goes down the corridor, the noise is even louder now. Connor is following behind.

Kadence is pointing the flashlight in every direction, to her right, to her left, straight down and behind her.

A few more minutes of walking, and the noise is coming and going. Kadence stops when she notices a wall with drawings on it. She points the flashlight at the drawings.

Kadence doesn't know what the drawings mean, then Connor tells her "Those drawings represent the lost warriors of the Coast Salish tribe."

Kadence looks at Connor with disbelief in her eyes.

"What do you mean lost?"

Connor explains to Kadence that before the labyrinth became a place of secrets, it was a place in which Native peoples and Belle Harbor peoples came to be together to explore and have fun, but then something happened that no one will talk about.

He then goes on to say the labyrinth became a place lost to many people, only those that dares to go will go ad most of them have been outsiders.

Kadence doesn't know what to say, she is lost for words, then the noise comes back once again, it startles Kadence and Connor.

Connor wants to turn back, but Kadence even after the story and a moment at the beginning wants to continue, so she does.

Kadence goes deeper finding more drawings and finding what looks like weapons used by the Indians.

Kadence bends down and picks them up.

"What are these?"

Connor is getting very panicky.

"We need to turn back now!"

"Why?"

"You touch the weapons."

"I've gone too deep. I have to continue."

"Why? You will get yourself killed like all the others."

Kadence looks at Connor and asks him what he means.

"I can't tell you. We have to go. I'm trying to save your life."

"Tell me and maybe I will go with you."

Connor nods.

Connor explains to Kadence that there were others before you who came to the labyrinth to explore and have fun without knowing the truth and the truth is.

Connor stops and takes a deep breathe. Kadence looks worry for her safety and for Connor's safety. He assures Kadence that he will be okay.

Kadence nods.

Connor continues and tells Kadence that down this corridor is a secret chamber where it happened. He grabs Kadence"s hand and leads her down the corridor and assures her he is not going to hurt her.

The noise is back, this time louder. Kadence tries to understand what the noise is, but she can't.

Connor tells her the noises are those of the lost warriors. Kadence nods.

Connor stops in front of a door that is unnoticeable to the naked eye. He asks her if she is sure she wants to do this. Kadence tells him, she is sure. Connor opens the door.

Kadence follows Connor inside. She points the flashlight all around the room.

"What is this place?"

"This is where it happened. The thing no one wants to talk about."

"How do you know about this place?"

"My family has been guarding the labyrinth ever since it happened."

"Tell me and I will leave with you."

Connor nods.

Connor tells Kadence "the Coast Salish. people and the Belle Harbor people lived in perfect harmony with each other until one Belle Harbor resident got greedy and wanted to take the land away from the Coast Salish people.

This person got into the heads of the rest of Belle Harbor and told them all the land around Belle Harbor can be there's if we get rid of the Coast Salish people, then one day said person and about 20 Belle Harbor residents went to their land which is where we are and lured the Coast Salish warriors into the labyrinth into this chamber and massacred them all. The elders of the tribe found out what they did and cursed the labyrinth."

Kadence looks all around the chamber and sees something or someone watching her.

"They are protecting you from the curse. We must go."

Kadence nods.

Kadence follows Connor out of the chamber, out of the corridor and out of the labyrinth.

"This placed is cursed?"

"Yes. Anyone who goes in is doomed to never get out. Many people have gone in and all have been lost expect you."

"No one talks about it." Kadence mutters to herself.

"This is the shame the Belle Harbor residents have to live with . The shame of their ancestors."

Kadence talks a better look at Connor and realizes Connor is not a Belle Harbor resident.

"I am a member of the Coast Salish tribe. I saved your life because my ancestors told me you are a good person, one who is true and honest."

"Thank you."

Connor helps Kadence to her car. They part ways.

After hearing Connor's story Kadence has decided not to write the article about the Belle Harbor Labyrinth.

December 16, 2021 23:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.