1 comment

Drama Romance LGBTQ+

Silence

Johnathan Ware

Silence. Finally.

Go over the rules: 

  1. Don’t get greedy.
  2. Don’t get the audience involved.
  3. Don’t get sloppy.

Showtime.

I steady my hand, adjust my mask, and check the grip in my left hand. Three steps forward and I’m in front of the window. Such a pretty clerk; bright green eyes that reflected a genuine interest in her work. Smooth dark skin that complemented her black and gold suit. I really hope she doesn’t have any heart problems. “Hello,” I swipe the brunette hair from my eyes and toss it over my right shoulder. On cue, my phone rings. He did it. Removing the stun gun from my left pocket, I let the barbed projectiles loose through the divider. Goodnight beautiful. 

“Hello, Sir?” I call out to the next unit, his face curls as he sees the amorous clerk’s body on the floor. “Come here, if you don’t mind.” My right-hand fishes out the Glock 17 from my concealed holster. 

“Um, ex. ex.. excuse me,” his hand tries to slide under the counter for the alarm. Amateur.

“Sir, when you're done signaling the police, get over here. I thought she was pretty, so she got the taser. You...well, I’ve seen better.” I indicate movement to the window I'm at with the nozzle of the gun. The audience begins to notice what's going on. A scream from the nearest Karen puts me over the edge. Second cartridge into the stunner as I spin around on my heels and drop her too.  

“Ladies and Gentlemen. Sit down, Shut up, and enjoy the show. If you need help with that, please speak up like she did. Though it’s easier to use the real gun, and I’m not sure how many non-lethal rounds I have left.” Three, of course, and 17 rounds in the handgun. 

I check the crowd for compliance. The cute surfer types are cuddling in the corner, the elderly look sick while the rest of them start to slowly comply. I turn around seeing the man in the tacky Hawaiin shirt. F---ing Fridays, man. 

“Here you go.” with a flourish, I trade out the stun gun for two thumb drives and toss them to him. “Turn the screen towards me. Turn off the computer. Okay. Now, plug in the pink drive.” Raz’s symbol appears on the screen. “Restart the computer. Okay, now the yellow one”.  

My shoulders sink for a moment. Rule 3 girl.  I check my posture and smile at the teller, not that he could see with these COVID masks on. Time to go; I should have about three more minutes. I turn to the lobby and curtsey. “Thank you, patrons, you have been a wonderful crowd.” 

What’s this now? There is a girl in the corner. You could mistake her for any of the million valley girls on the street. Short, but not too short. Her blonde hair curls into gorgeous loops and she is wearing a shirt at least one size smaller than she should. But those jeans, those are generous. They have room to maneuver, and enough pockets to get at least five necklaces in. Her hand disappears into one of them with the watch of the elderly man. Good choice. I start towards the door before a wicked idea hits me. You know, rules are more like guidelines. 

“You there.” I point the handgun at her and she freezes. There isn’t fear as much as an annoyance in her face. “Gonna need a hostage in case the cops come after me. Let's go.” She silently gets up, dusts herself off, and walks in front of me.  “Oh, I love the obedient ones.”

We leave the bank and hustle a few blocks away. By now I return my gun to it’s hoster. “You’re free to go, I never actually wanted to use you as a hostage. I figured if the man’s wife caught you, you’d need an exit plan.” I watched as she shifted her weight to her left leg. “Oh, got more than one then,” I asked, tossing the burner phone in a nearby can. 

Her eyes go wide with surprise. A bead of sweat rolls down her face as she reaches up to play with one of her curls, flipping it around her finger. In a few seconds, she reaches to the small of her back. “Calm down, I’m not going to take your hard work. I did just rob a bank, remember?” The thief lowers her arms, and exhales dramatically, then waves her hand for me to lead the way. 

---

Leading her out to, the old reclaimed HVAC unit, my van. The inside has been gutted to give room to a bed,  couch, tv, fridge, and modem bolted into place. “Hop in and welcome to my home.” The van rocks to life as the newly replaced engine roared.  “Nice, right?” 

The blonde raised her hand to take off her mask and smiled at me. My heart froze. I needed to say something to break the silence. My mouth motioned out as I tried to will something into existence to fill the cold, empty air. Instead, I thought of my way out of the situation. Forcing my attention onto the road, I started to roll through block after block, putting as much distance between us and the bank.  “So, you gonna tell me where to drop you off? Or are you coming home with me?” God that sounded lame. 

Moments feeling like years passed as the blurring of passing cars and road noise did little to cut the anxiety. I looked over, worried and ready to find a parking lot to pull into. Our eyes met and the panic must have broken my facade as the blonde looked upset and pointed to her mouth before attempting to sign something with her hands. Well, that makes sense. Why did I toss that stupid phone? I won’t be able to get another till we get out of state.

I pulled over behind the Walgreens on Old St. Aug road. The police scanner had been silent for a while, so it was time to clear some things up. I shuffled into the back of the van and found some of my tech that I have been tinkering with to find a lost treasure. The old Speak and Spell I taught myself English with sat in my hands, its cracked face barely coming to life. With some replacement batteries, the machine’s robotic voice called out like a poorly produced horror movie. “Here, this will have to do, until I can get a pdf on ASL.” 

“THANK YOU,” the machine croaked. 

“So where am I dropping you off at?” I guess it’s fair. This has to end sometime. 

“NOWHERE, ANYWHERE, I DON’T HAVE A HOME.” Yep, I knew those shoes looked a little too worn out. I started up the car again.

“No family or friends? No one to look for you?” I don’t mind the company but I can't have a missing persons charge to help motivate the police.

“ONLY MY PIMP, ARE YOU LEAVING TOWN?” The sniffles bounced around the van like a wonder ball in a racquetball court. I know I should lie, it’s sloppy to keep loose ends. But how do you lie to that face, those shaky hands holding onto the toy translator like it was her only way onto a lifeboat. 

“I was planning on going north. Alaska still lets you build a home and claim land in the wild. I figure, when Raz-, I mean, my partner, finishes on his end, I’ll need a place where no one will ask questions for a while.”  The on-ramp for 75 was coming up fast. “You’re welcome to join. You can bail at any point.”

“-.-.-.-.-” the machine was quiet. It’s unfair to ask her to come along. I’m sure she’ll be happy up in Georgia, or South Carolina. Lots of good small towns in SC where no one will ask many questions.  The clicking of old, worn, and sticky keys breaks the silence. “I CAN LEAVE WHENEVER,” the lack of punctuation on the machine made it impossible to tell if that was a question or a matter of fact.  

---

The next few hours passed quickly as I told her everything. My life, how I got into the whole bank heist, my father. God, I actually told her about him, and his condition. She was such an amazing listener though, she asked questions and even contributed her own stories. The pretty girl had always been pretty, and when her parents died, well, her uncle noticed that too. Apparently, she has a history and is possibly wanted herself for a domestic dismemberment. It wasn’t three weeks on the street before her beauty got her into the oldest profession in the world. I respect her though, trying to steal and pawn enough to get out of that hole wouldn’t have been easy. She is strong. I couldn't have done it. If Raz hadn’t picked me up, I don’t know if I would have had a choice. 

“Hey, the next gas station is in 20 miles. Hungry?” Minna, her name, flashed a dorky thumbs up. The Pilot truck stop loomed visibly for miles with hundreds of vehicles around it. “Here,” I handed Minna three $20 bills. “Get us on the shower schedule, and get yourself some food. After I finish fueling up I'll pull around the side over there and follow.” Watching her walk away is almost too much. 

---

The shower was heavenly, the feeling of hot water and new clothes were something she didn’t think she would feel for at least a few months. This didn’t change the way Em looked at her though. Minna knew that look, she had seen it on every customer. Sure, being wanted was nice, but that doesn’t change the bed in the back of the van. I don’t think I’m ready to trade in one pimp for another. Fountain drink in hand, Minna hopped back into the van’s passenger seat. The van being unlocked was a warning. What kind of bank robber leaves their getaway car unlocked? 

Minna searched through the center console and found the keys. I could just leave. I could just drive away and never have to answer to anyone. But all I have is the change she gave me.  Minna shuffled over into the driver's seat and continued to weigh her options. A full tank of gas and a good amount of crap to pawn, this place is basically a mobile home. I could probably get by with pickpocketing people.  But for how long? If I keep doing that, eventually I’ll be caught. I could take her up. Maybe I’d have to sleep with her, but she didn’t seem like the type to do anything mean. There was a knock on the window. She even seemed interested in the idea of me hunting. If she gives me a gun, then she can’t possibly hope to control me. The knock grew louder. 

There he was, tall and built. The blue uniform was unmistakable. He pointed at the window and then towards the ground with his billy club. As the window rolled down the officer rested his hand on his weapon. “Ma’am there was a warrant out for a woman reported to drive a vehicle matching this description.” He checked his notes before relaxing his grip, “...but her description doesn’t seem to match you at all. Would you happen to know anything about that?” Minna’s eyes darted to the front of the station where Em was. “There is a $2,000 reward for anyone that gives information that leads to her capture.” 

Minna’s hands began to sign away. Freedom was in front of her, all she had to do was take it.

November 18, 2020 17:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Karen Gendusie
21:54 Nov 25, 2020

My favorite part was paragraph 8: I like the description neat and concise about the Valley Girl and her impressive pick pocketing. Well done. Didn't much care for the rest. Punctuation off, some parts slid through, some too long. Too much use of italics usually means you aren't sure of yourself...anything in quotes does not need it...it's their opinion, or dialect, or use of their own personal lingo. Keep writing! Thanks for letting me critique you, it helps me with my writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.