0 comments

Drama High School Teens & Young Adult

This story contains sensitive content

[THIS STORY CONTAINS SENSITIVE COMMENT AS IT REFERS TO SEXUAL TRAFFICKING.]

“I can’t breathe.”

“What’s happening? ”

“Dad!”

“Why can’t I breathe?!”

“Calm down Cel. One deep breath at a time. That’s it. There you go.”

“Now… Wake up!!”

“Aaaaaaaarghhhh”

“Oh God! Oh my God”

“Oh! thank goodness! I was dreaming.”

“Or was I… … remembering really…my dad…that nightmare moment… Where’s the tissue…I better wipe these tears and blow my nose before mom comes into my room.”

“Celeste are you OK?”

“I’m ok mom.”

“Hurry up and get ready.”

“I’m jumping into the shower now”

“I wish I had a dad like my friends…Nah. None of that. Mom must be the strongest person ever. She’s kept us going since dad … sigh.. since dad…”

“Celeste!!”

“Almost ready ma! I’m putting the scrunchie in… Present and accounted for I am.”

“A kiss? You’re in a good mood.”

“Appreciate you mom! Let’s do this!”

“Seatbelt on.”

“Yes. Yes. I’m not a baby. Let’s go.”

“I’m gonna park hon. See you inside.”

“Cool. Remember it’s in the auditorium.”

“Ok hon.”

“I’m up. I don’t see m…ahh yes there she is. Ok. I can do this… Lemme try not to trip on these steps.”

“I am a child and a survivor. A survivor of violence. Many of you know that I disappeared from school for a semester last year. A few of you know why. Most of you, do not. This is my story. It is no fairy tale. It is not for the faint of heart. It is the story of my dad, a brave man, a husband that was loved. We lost him last year and that’s why I wasn’t…couldn’t be here.

I am sharing this story not to get your sympathy but to warn you. To warn you about the dangers that exist out there.

We take so much for granted. We hear tragic tales of persons our age we think to be simple and naïve. “How could they fall prey to such an obvious scam?” we wonder, but I want you to know that it can happen to anyone. It happened to me.

I stand before you a grade A student… that’s the only grade with which I am acquainted. Not a fool…I ended up trusting someone I met online…someone who took me into a world of sex trafficking before I even realised where I was.

If it can happen to me …it can happen to any one of you.

The only reason I am able to stand before you today is because my father was a cop and very brave man, who loved me more than anything. It is because of his sacrifice.

That is the story I will share with you today.”

“Pause. Eyes closed. Deep breath. Here I go. Jump.”

“That was …I am at a loss for words. Thank you so much for sharing Celeste.”

“Just spread the word. Be careful and be aware. That’s all.” “Thank you… thank you so much…you are kind… thank you for the support… your expression of love means a lot to me.”

“Ok. I am tired now. Where is my mom? I want to go home. If I could just get through this crowd…”

“Yes. Thank you…thank you for your support…No, we never found his body …everything burned and we never saw him after the rescue. Excuse me.” “Yes, it’s just me and my mom now. We are ok. Thank you… yes… excuse me…”

“There’s that man again. I noticed him in the back of the room during my talk. Is it me or is he coming ever closer to me… he doesn’t look like a parent…how did he even get in here? Lemme just walk over to the refreshments for a cranberry juice… Mom must have “popped to the loo” as they say.”

“Thanks so much.”

“This man is definitely following me.”

“Hi. Cranberry please…Do you know that guy over there in the black jacket?”

“No miss. I am just here for the day to serve the drinks and stuff. Here you go. … I don’t even know you except for that moving presentation you just did…

You and your mom are so brave. Sorry to hear about what you went through but it is good of you to share…one sec…

Here’s your coffee ma’am.

Do you know the guy? He stopped moving after I looked at him. Are you afraid? Do you think this is related to what happened to you? The police caught all those guys right? Where is your mom? Do you need me to call someone?”

“No, no. I’m sure it’s fine. I see my mom near the exit. I will just head to her. Thanks.”

“Mom. Do you see that guy over there? Do you think it could be…?”

“Celeste. Let’s get out of here. Now!”

“Shouldn’t we stay with the crowd? Or call Detective Spencer?”

“Now Cel!”

“Celeste. Celeste Wright. Stop. Wait. Don’t get in that car! Your dad sent me.”

“What? What do you mean my dad sent you?”

“Celeste. Come on! Let’s get out of here.”

“Celeste. Your dad sent me. He’s alive. You’re in danger.”

“Leave us alone. Leave us the hell alone. Stop following us!!”

“Dammit. Where did I park the car? Was it in C or D. Come on Celeste. Keep up.”

“But mom. He says he knows dad. Shouldn’t we hear what…”

“Celeste Star Wright. If you do not move quicker I swear I will…”

“He told me to tell you “more than height of the moon”

“What…did…you…say?”

“He told me to tell you “more than the height of the moon”

“Mooom! Did you hear that? Mooom…only dad would say that!”

“Oh no, not again. I can’t breathe. My heart is beating too fast. I’ve got to get this under control.”

“Who are you? What do you know about my husband?”

“I need you to come with me. I will take you to Jack.”

“No. We don’t know you. We can’t take that chance.”

“But mom, if he knows where…”

“It’s too dangerous Cel. We barely escaped with our lives the last time. No. That’s it. It’s behind us. No more.”

“But…”

“I will not risk it. I will not risk you. Cel….”

“Where is he? How did he escape the fire? Why didn’t he contact us before?”

“I can’t say too much here. It’s not safe. You need to just come with me. I will take you to him.”

“I’m sorry. We. Can’t. We’ve been through too much. It’s just too risky to go there again."

“I don’t believe you. He couldn’t have survived the fire. He wouldn’t have stayed away so long. This is just that group trying to get Celeste again. Not today. Not today. You won’t ever find us again.”

“Hey Maggie. Celeste. You guys alright.”

“Hey Tom. Jan. Guys. Yes. We are ok. We don’t know this guy, so we felt a little nervous. Celeste and I are heading home. Thanks for everything. It’s been great.”

“Come on Cel. Just breathe.”

February 25, 2023 01:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.