0 comments

Coming of Age Drama Romance

My vision was engulfed with the colors of the waking sky, the November wind beating against my wool blanket. Though the weather was harsh, I could never resist falling in love over and over with the sky lakeside every morning. I saw him sitting on the sand barely ten feet away, another person who couldn't help but watch the sunrise on the water's edge even if the weather begged you not to. I watched the sparkle of color in his eyes, big and brown. I couldn't dare let this opportunity slip through my fingers. Studying his details and walking closer. Sharp nose, strong shoulders, knees are drawn to his chest, shivering, and lips parted the air escaping them foggy and dancing into oblivion. " It's a little chilly to be on the beach, don't you think?" he chuckles, "join me." throwing caution the wind, I do, offering half my woven escape. he smells of nostalgia and love. "you new here?" I ask, knowing I'd never seen him in the place I'd been so many times before. He's quite, both of us looking forward at the art that was enveloping our sky. "yes and no," he speaks long pauses in between his phrases, making me desperate to hear every word he had to say. "as a child, I was to sunrise here every morning with my mother, she killed, herself when I was ten, and this is the first time I could bring myself back to the dock she threw herself off of. I may not see the sunset here anymore, but the rising sun is a new beginning. I need that right now." he left me speechless I filled the void where my words would be with a warm drink and the colors of the painting sky. as the sun herself settled into her place just above the still waters, we began to walk. so tell me, does the girl who sits on the frigid beach have a name by chance? or are you just as mysterious as I thought?" 

"Adelaide, but everyone calls me Addie."

"Adelaide, a name nearly as beautiful as its beholder." my face stings as it gets warmer contrasting with the wind above. " and what about you mysterious boy? What do they call you?"

"Arlo," his words fade like what he admitted was forbidden. " I like it," I say with a smile. " thanks, I gave it to myself."

"what do you mean?"

"I was Alex, but when my father died, I claimed his name; it's all of him I have left.

"I think it fits you perfectly." and as if we know each other our whole lives, we continued to talk. Not as though we were learning about each other, but as if we know each other our entire lives, and we were only catching up. We admitted our secrets and told each other everything we loved. Suddenly we were wrapped in a blanket of falling rain. But we didn't care, we danced and sang and for just once the world was okay. The wind picks and turns overtake us. We sway and dip within each other's holds, falling in love with the sun chasing stranger. There is Something so beautifully mysterious about it all, a broken boy striving for average and the reserved girl both dancing amid a storm in the middle of November. 

a single look deep into his grabbing eyes brings me to my knees, he shies away, and I lift his chin. "I think they are beautiful," I promise him. Gazing into the hypnotizing soul, admiring the contrast of deep cocoa colors. Suddenly the sun sinks into them, and the mountains and valleys shine true. I study each dip of color in his eyes, swimming in them like pools of hope, our lips merely inches apart. His breath becomes mine, and mine suddenly his; we are one. A love so true crafted meanly hours ago between two broken strangers on a frigid beach over wool blankets and sunrises. How could it be? I smile one so real I felt the honesty melting on my tongue; my soul was warm and drenched in the golden yellow of true bliss. 

Waiting felt like years as his head tilts, making its way to mine. I gibe in breaking any rule I was taught as a child. Our lips meet, and colors engulf my vision, ones I've never seen before, a symphony of art and memories with the broken boy id fallen for just moments ago, my sense filled with that of joy and love. I taste peach and salt—Something so beautifully bitter about a soulmate like him.  

But in the dancing yellows and pinks, a twinge of grey waltzes alone to a rhythm so sad. I felt regret. I was aware of the bad that was soon to come but did not care even if just momentarily id give everything up to feel this. It was like our feel left the ground hips in time with our feet as we danced to the heavens, the gold lining of the clouds and wailing angels welcoming the truest form of love home with open arms. A family seeing a relative so sweet and nostalgic. 

As our feet returned to the cold November grounds of reality, we took a breath, the air a little crisper than before. Heads against the dock's splintered wood, we catch each other up on just how we felt as our souls connected. 

he leans up and startles me. "what is it?". he stands up without responding and walks to the end of the dock and sits down; I join him, tracing they eyes of the wood with my shaking finger. "hey, what's going on?" I ask attempting to get an answer. " I shouldn't have come here today." he says, " you fell for me as I did for you." 

"Alex, what are you talking about?"

"Addie, I've been here a million times Just to watch you sit alone on the dock, your shadow gracing the yellow outline of the sun."

"I'm lost what's going on."

"you look like my mother. You know she was so beautiful," his words come out dripping with honesty. As soon as it started, it was over; he laid his hands flat on the dock and, with his last bit of strength, pushes himself up. 

"I love you, Adelaide" suddenly, he plummets into the rough, icy water below. My body fills with shock, unable to move, I sob for the rest of the evening, not looking up until the moon shone on her sad face. Her glow dancing off the agitated waters, tears gliding like the rainfall once danced in by two lovers down my face. The moon and I talk for the night. She tells me of the sun, and I tell her of you. I watch her pure white color dance as I feel all the color in my soul drain. Once a home for happiness, my body now abandoned, vines grow on the siding of my heart. 

November 20, 2020 17:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.