0 comments

Science Fiction

The world I live in now is different than the world I once knew. Strange beings roam my home thinking they belong acting like one of us. They are not humans. They come from another world. They come from the stars.


Every day when I wake-up I look out of my window and see their ship hovering in the sky. Two years they've been here and I still don't know what to make of them. Are they friend or foe?


Many of the people love them. The beings have given us everything we could ever asked for. New technology, medicine, a new food source, a better understanding of the universe and so much more. What do they ask for in return? That is a question nobody is asking.


Up until two years ago, we humans didn't know life existed. Them coming here took us by surprise. Their ships appeared out of nowhere. As you can imagine we were scared. Then a friendly voice boomed from the sky. The ship and the voice were coming from the moon.


The voice told us they would not come to earth unless they were given permission. It took our leaders months to give one ship permission to come to earth.


When the ship entered earth's orbit, we believed something bad was going to happen. Nothing happened. The voice we heard came back and told us "We come in peace seeking new friends."


Our leaders were intrigued. They allowed the representative to land. They landed on top of the UN building. Cameras and reporters were all over the place.


I along with countless of people waited on the edge of our seats for them to show themselves and when they did, we were shocked. We couldn't believe what we were seeing.


They were human expect for one thing. They had a tattoo along the side of their face and down their neck. At first glance the beings looked intimidating. They didn't act that way.


Two years later, they still act friendly toward us. Many people were taken in by the beings who call themselves our friends. That's what they are known by. Others distrust them.


I don't know where I stand with them. My parents work closely with them so I see them every day. My brother doesn't trust them. He tells me all the time don't trust them. They are up to something.


My parents on the other hand tells me all the time our friends are who they say they are. In two years, they haven't hurt us. Both of them are right. But one can argue that our friends haven't told us where they come from or what they are.


Today I'm meeting my best friend Kaydence. She's just like me. She doesn't know what to think of the beings. As usual I get up and look out the window. The ship hovers in the sky.


I don't know why I look at the ship every morning. Maybe in a strange way looking at the ship gives me comfort knowing they haven't hurt us.


Rumors have been going around that our so call friends are planning something big. My parents hate rumors. They don't pay attention to them.


There are other rumors that there is an active resistance movement. I haven't seen anything of the sort. I asked my brother if he knows anything about a resistance. He tells me nothing.


I know he's not telling me the truth. Kaydence's brother and my brother are best friends.Maybe Kaydence got something out of her brother. I head downstairs for breakfast. My parents are at the table with one of them.


"Morning mom and dad."


I sit down and begin to eat. I can't help but stare at him. Is it my imagination or do all of them look this beautiful.


I finish eating, say goodbye to my parents and leave. My parents didn't talk to me at all, that's a first. Our so call friend didn't even look up. They are definitely hiding something. I have to tell Kaydence.


I leave my house and start walking. The beings are everywhere. Some are walking down the street. Some are in the stores. Some are talking to the people. While others are playing with the kids.


I cross the street and head to the park. I can't help but feel like I'm being followed. I look behind me and sure enough one of them is following me.


Why is he following me? I've seen him before. He works for the being that is at my house. I think my brother is right not to trust them.


Kaydence is up ahead. I walk faster hoping to lose him. Kaydence sees me. She gets up. I grab her hand and pull her towards me.


"Autumn, what's happening?"


"One of them is following me." I tell her.


We keep walking through the crowd of people and into an alley. "I think we lost him." I hug Kaydence and tell her sorry.


"Why are they following you?" I shrug because I don't have an answer. Just when I think it's safe a black hood is placed over my head. I begin to kick and thrash. I'm thrown into a van. Oh My God! Is Kaydence with me? The van drives off.


My heart is beating fast. I'm shaking all over the place. I don't know what's going to happen to me. I'm scared to say anything. I don't know who these people are.


The van stops. The door opens. I'm being dragged out of the van. I stay calm. The person or persons take me inside and sit me on a chair. They take the hood off. I look all around the warehouse, sitting next to me is Kaydence. She looks just as scared as me. I mouth "It's going to be okay." Kaydence nods.


Me and Kaydence are in a warehouse alone. No one is here with us. This is getting creepy and down-right scary. After what seemed like forever, I see two people walking towards us.


They look familiar to me. As they get closer, I recognize them as my brother Hunter and Kaydence's brother Grey. I start to get angry and begin to yell.


"I want answers Hunter. The both of us have a right to know why we are here."


I sit back down waiting for an answer instead I get a hug. Now I'm scared about what Hunter is going to tell me. I look at Kaydence. Grey is hugging her. Something is seriously wrong.


"Hunter, Grey please tell us what's going on?"


Hunter and Grey sit in front of me and Kaydence and begin to tell us the truth.


"Autumn, Kaydence the truth is hard to say. The reason why I nor Grey never told you girls the truth is because we were protecting you. Our so-called friends are not who they claim to be. They've been lying to us. For the past two years they have been using us for their own agenda."


"They've been threatening us with annihilation if we don't Gove them what they want. What they want is earth.'


I'm stunned, shocked, horrified. I'm so many things. I just can't believe this. My parents must know about their plan. What my brother tells me next blows my mind.


"Mom and dad have always known about their plan. So did the rest of the country's leaders. I saw them following you and the reason why they are following you is to get to me."


"Kaydence mom and dad were threaten by these things. They knew about what I was doing. I want to protect you. That's why I never told you."


I ask "Why tell us now?"


Hunter and Grey look at each other. "Because we need your help,. We need undeniable proof that they are not who they claim to be, that they have a sinister agenda."


Me and Kaydence look at each other and nod. "We'll help you." They place the hoods over our head and take us back to the van.


We get dropped off at the alley. It's already evening by the time we make it back to the park. "What do we do?"


"You follow your parents and I will follow mine. One of us is bound to find something."


Me and Kaydence hug and part ways. I stay in the park for a few minutes watching the people and aliens interact. They look so happy. If only they knew the truth. I begin to walk home when I sense someone is following me. I carefully look back and see the alien following me.


I don't let him bother me. I have to find proof we are in danger. I make it home and the same alien I saw this morning is still here. I don't bother to say hi to my parents. I go up to my bedroom.


I hear then talking about me. The alien is saying what did you find? Has she made contact with there brother? I don't hear the other alien's response. Oh shit! Hunter is right.


Shit! They know about Hunter. My parents are doing nothing to protect him. It's up to me. I hear my parents and the aliens leaving. I grab my phone and follow them.


I hop on my bike and follow the car. The car turns right, so do I. The car goes down 10th and turns left. I know where they are going. They are going to city hall. I take a short cut to city hall. I arrive before my parents. I park my bike and hide behind a tree.


I take my phone out and snap pictures of my parents and the aliens. My parents don't look afraid of them. They head inside city hall and so do I.


The thing I like about city hall is that there is no security at the main entrance. I enter look around and spot my parents and the aliens going inside one of the conference rooms.


What am I going to do now? The proof is right in that conference room. I look and look and look and then realize that these conference rooms have two-way mirrors. I go to conference room B, enter, sit down and turn my phone camera on. I begin to record.


"Your son and the Powell's son have become a real problem. We don't like problems. We told you to keep your people in check. We told you two years ago earth is ours and if you humans do anything to stop us there will be consequences. We put up with you because we need you. The rest of our fleet is here and they will reign hell on all of you. Find them and deal with them or we will."


I have to find Hunter. This is the proof he needs. I leave the conference room and city hall. I get on my bike and rush to Kaydence's home. I see Kaydence coming out of her home.


"Oh My God! Kaydence my parents knew. They are helping them."


I begin to cry. Kaydence hugs me. She tells me. "They almost killed my parents for not helping them find Grey. I got out before they got to me. How do we get in touch with Hunter and Grey?"


"I know a place."


I take Kaydence to the lake. Hunter's safe place. We look over our shoulders to see if any alien are following us. I sense that we are being followed. I'm determined to get to my brother. We make it to the lake. There are our brothers.


"Autumn, Kaydence Thank God you are safe."


I tale out my phone and show Hunter and Grey what I recorded. "You did it. This is what we need."


"Grey, mom and dad were almost killed."


Grey and Kaydence hug. he tells her everything is going to be okay. I look at Hunter. I know he's about to do something crazy.


"Whatever you are going to do be careful."


I hug Hunter and bid him goodbye. Me and Kaydence go outside and see our brothers off. I look up at the sky and see the ship hovering. Your days are numbered. Our home will be ours again.


Me and Kaydence watch our brothers leaving hoping this won't be the last time we see them. Good luck, I whisper.


In the distance I see a black much like what the aliens use. I have a bad feeling they are following Hunter and Grey. One of them gets out of the car. It's the aliens and my parents. I bid Kaydence goodbye. I walk to my parents. Kaydence runs.


I don't know what's going to happen next but it's nothing good. Good luck to all of us.



August 09, 2023 21:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.