0 comments

General

Dear diary...

Stop, I can write this myself.

I know you can.

Then let me do it. Dear Diary, it's me again. It's past midnight now, although it took a very long time to get there. Time really crawls when you can't sleep.

Aw, come now I don't crawl.

Hush, I am trying to write. Anyway, another night of sleeplessness. To be honest, if I die of weariness, I hope someone reads this and makes it into a book.

Are you scared, friend?

Of what? Of who? Why would I be scared?

Me. Are you scared of me?

You don't scare me. Time is my friend since I can't sleep, you are my only company.

Ah, I knew you were partial to me. You were always the nice one in the class, never complaining about me during a lecture but just watching me move the clock. Please, continue your entry. They become more interesting every night.

I will, I will if you'd only let me. Anyway, diary, the school has finished for the day, so as usual, I am in my dormitory writing, with the help of my friend Time, my only friend. In fact, it is rather sad to think that my only companion isn't even a real person.

There are a few too many commas in that sentence, my friend. And since when was I, Time, not a real person? I find that quite insulting to my person.

Whatever. Time is both my friend and my enemy. As soon as I stopped sleeping, I began noticing Time more and more. How slowly it goes, how it torments the impatient and how much it enjoys making people wait.

Come now, I am not that bad.

You enjoy it though, don't you?

Perhaps a tad. Do go on though, it is thrilling to see all my accomplishments written down on a page.

School is getting worse and worse the more Time is my companion. More and more people are being tormented by Time, yet only I can see it. I tried telling my professor today that his lectures are hurting Time, but he simply sent me to the school nurse for some sleepy-head pills to wake me up. Whatever they are.

A rare delicacy. Did you enjoy them?

Actually, they were alright. For goodness sakes, stop interrupting me.

Apologies. Do go on.

Is it only me who has noticed how Time goes by? They say Time flies when you're having fun. Maybe that's why nights go so slowly, because how can you have fun when you're alone in your room night after night, slowly going crazy?

Crazy? I wouldn't say you're crazy...

I am talking to Time, of course, I am crazy. At night, Time is the only company; you watch the clock tick with each second going past at a glacial pace. I don't know how much longer I can take it.

Wouldn't you like to sleep again, my child?

Would I ever. Why can I not make friends with Slumber also?

Because Time is your friend. Why would Slumber be friends with someone who is already so preoccupied with another?

Surely I can have more than one companion?

Why not make friends with your classmates?

They know I don't sleep. They see my torchlight, they don't like the sleepless girl. See, one of them just told me to put my light out.

Why don't you?

...

There, things are dark now.

Sleep comes better to those who are stuck in darkness. When it is dark, you cannot see me. You cannot watch Time slowly crawl, for I admit that I do like to torment the impatient, but you are not impatient. You have not slept in a long time, for what reason even I cannot tell you. Some people simply do not sleep, and that has been your present for a while now. You have accepted no sleep. Well done. It is safe to put your light on now.

Wow, you wrote all that? In the dark?

Darkness is no obstacle for me. I am Time.

I know, you're my only companion.

Not anymore. Slumber is on her way.

Truly? Why would you do that? Who are you, really?

Aha, you misunderstand me. You think you know who I am, but your friend isn't really who he seems. You are innocent and weary.

I know I am weary, which is why I am losing interest in your toneless dialogue.

Hush, hush, don't rush me. You aren't sure if I am good or bad, are you?

Well...

Are you? Really, it is a simple question, why not treat me with a simple answer?

Yes, alright? I'm not sure if you're here to give me company or to torment me with your endless chatter.

Goodness, I am not evil, child, I simply like to tickle those who like to hurry me along. I don't like being rushed, let me take my time. Ah, Time is witty also.

Cut it out. My pencil lead is wearing out, so don't use it up.

I'm not using your pencil, you are. As I said, you are not impatient, which is why I have decided to keep you company while I work. Do you not think I am weary also?

I don't care. Time, will you ever leave me alone? Will you ever let me sleep?

Aw, you want to get rid of me so quickly? Surely you secretly enjoy the company of one so witty, charming and humble.

I want to sleep, let Slumber be my friend! Be gone with you! I am tired of watching you push the clock handles at a snail's pace. I detest watching you hold the seconds until dawn, reducing me to conversing with you!

But I am the only one who can eventually get you through the sleepless nights, child. You know that.

Be gone with you! I am ready for a new companion.

I warn you not to push Time away so quickly. How else are you supposed to see the dawn? I make the seconds go past, foolish girl.

I said go, Time. I cannot do this any longer.

Your loss. Who will you be talking to when you cannot get a rest? Guess it won't be me, foolish girl.

I won't be talking to anyone because I will be sleeping. And stop calling me a foolish girl. Understood? Now go. Please.


Time?

...

April 04, 2020 07:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.