Contest #223 winner 🏆

184 comments

Suspense Drama Horror

This story contains sensitive content

The door is cerulean, a bright and vibrant blue, but really it is the color of my sudden uneasiness. The feeling creeps up me slowly, jumps out at me dauntingly, and I am frozen in it. If the door were a mirror – and how I wish it were as innocent as a mirror – I would see my face reflected back to me, and it would tell me to run.


I’m not sure what’s more jarring: the fact that this door is a clashing contrast to the rest of the library décor, or the fact that I’ve never noticed the path we took to get here before. I suppose there are better things to do freshmen year than look for the oddities and notice the details inside the university library.


Or maybe it’s the subtle shift in his gaze that is so jarring, the way his grip on me transforms, and the way his voice now suddenly holds something heavy, concealed behind his hardened whispers.


It seems impossible to retreat now, and even if I had the courage to, to turn and run away, following my screaming gut all the way down the stairs and out the library doors, there is still a part of me that is curious; hopeful; lustful.


Wasn’t dating a professor supposed to feel dangerous?


Wasn’t that how it felt just moments ago when he’d pressed me up against the wall of shelved books downstairs and kissed me, and I thought to myself, is there anything more thrilling than this?


Wasn’t it that same exciting feeling that I felt when he’d whispered into my neck that he had a secret to show me, and I eagerly followed him up the stairs?


I had thought it was thrilling before, when we were nothing but flirty eyes and lingering bodies inside an empty lecture hall room, neither of us willing to be the first to say goodbye. He’d chipped away at his desk with his nails, while I’d fingered it, tracing circles and pathways across the dark mahogany wood, each stroke a question: what would your skin think of this? Meanwhile, our mouths said frivolous things, silly words about the weather and hometowns and restaurants off campus, things that had nothing to do with anthropology assignments. Between those words, our silences begged the other to stay just a little longer, so we could eventually – maybe – use our mouths for other things.


We were testing the waters then, seeing how far we would swim out before turning back. It turned out this professor could swim all the way out to my dorm room – somewhere I’d never seen another professor go.


Let me take you to the library tonight, he’d whispered. I can get us in after it’s closed. His voice had been desperate and demanding, like I could break him if I said no.


I wanted to savor the power I had over him in that moment, like licking the peanut butter off of a spoon. But there was no chance I would say no. I would have given him my heart on a silver platter right then. I was breathless when I said, What time?


Hours later, under a hazy orange street lamp, I’d watched his fingers unlock the double doors like a jungle cat eyeing its prey. I wanted to lunge at them, feel them unlocking my body, but even then, just moments ago, I still hadn’t been sure, that dangerous, thrilling ripple somewhere within me undulating like a wave. There is nothing illegal about doing the things we both wanted to do, just a school policy that both of us treated like nothing but a suggestion.


When the doors pulled open, the scent of the library engulfed me. I read somewhere that the smell of old books is actually the smell of organic matter reacting to light and heat, a decomposition of wood pulp, but really it is the scent of my body on fire. When I told him, he only smiled, running his finger across the spines as he guided me down one of the aisles.


All of these stories dying beneath our fingertips, and we get to live a whole other life just by splitting them open…


When I’d heard those words, I thought he was a sexy young, anthropologic, literary genius, and I couldn’t believe he’d chosen me. In that moment, I was certain I’d let him split me open and read me like one of those books.


But now, there is an edginess to this thrill, a sense of danger that hadn’t surfaced yet, a creature rising from the midnight zone. Hairs standing up on the back of my neck – or is that his breath? – I feel my bones run cold, like I am standing on a precipice, and if I open that door, I might freefall right into the sky.


I’ve never showed anyone this before, he lies, but I barely register his words, my mind lost in a tumbleweed of disregarded warnings; from my mother; from friends; from school advisories; the university campus newspaper: THREE FRESHMEN GIRLS STILL MISSING.


He wraps his arms around my waist, like we are comfortable lovers now, like the one kiss we shared downstairs turned our student-teacher relationship into something more intimate. I lean into it, still playing the part of the brave girl. I thought I wanted that. I followed him up those stairs wanting just that. There is still a part of me that does. Fear has stolen many of these experiences from me, and I’d promised this year would be different, didn’t I?


I shouldn’t take hold of the door knob, but I do, and I hear him giggle behind me. It sounds like victory. It sounds like, good girl.


There’s no creak when I turn it. The handle glides smoothly, and I hear it unlatch.


In another life, I push the door open, and there is a room with a small round table sitting in the middle. It is adorned with a white cloth and candles, and there is a violinist playing a soft, soothing song. From somewhere, a perfectly prepared steak meal is delivered, and we slice it slowly with our knives while drinking wine and slurring out delectable secrets. In that life, we make love above a thousand love stories bound in leather and spend years happily together. After I graduate, we get married and have two children, Olive and Iris. We grow old together, and tonight becomes a treasured story about the romantic night when we fell in love, a story that belongs in one of those books downstairs.


In another life, I open the door, and there is a boring room with a game of chess set up for us on a table in the corner. We play a few rounds, him winning twice before he finally lets me win once. I pretend to love it, and we date in secret for a few months before things fizzle out. Maybe there’s a dramatic ending, and I spend a summer lovesick and cursing his name, knowing I’ll never forget the year I dated my college professor.


In another life, I let the door handle go and sprint down the stairs, running faster than I ever have all the way back to my dorm room. I tell my roommate all about it, and wonder if I let my fear make a fool out of myself again.


In this life, I push the door open, and there is a room that has no table, no white cloth, and no chess board. There is a room with four walls, ones I wish had mirrors on them so I could see my reflection. The realization settling in my eyes would tell me there's a shark in the water, to swim fast, even though I know it's too late. They would tell me the truth: that I might never see the color cerulean again. 

November 10, 2023 04:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

184 comments

Anne Wilkins
22:34 Nov 17, 2023

Ohhh so clever, and sinister. Very creepy, and spooky. Great ending with the repetition of "in another life." Love that it came back to that cerulean colour. Congrats on your win.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
22:34 Nov 17, 2023

Thanks so much Anne!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
06:23 Nov 17, 2023

This is compelling because there are so many possibilities. The lecturer really could turn out to be a monster. On the other hand, he may simply be a lustful professor. Underneath all the excitement, there are misgivings about what the MC is doing. At the back of her mind is the knowledge about the three girls. I like the way you describe the smell of the library. Here it takes on a creepy edge and the books become organic matter decaying. There’s something about power here too and its potential abuse. If he really cares for her, he would...

Reply

Humble Sparrow
18:26 Nov 17, 2023

I was thinking much the same thing, when one party has a position of authority, this behaviour is predatory no matter how flattered the other party feels about it. Excellent detail, the plot thickening at the just the right moment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
AnneMarie Miles
16:57 Nov 17, 2023

Ugh, this is a lovely comment, Helen! Thank you! The decaying matter was a really fun section to write and once I realized what this professor was up to, it felt like a great foreshadowing moment. I'm glad it made you think, and I am just so grateful for your support! I hope to make it to your story soon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Rebecca Miles
15:13 Jan 02, 2024

No one writes desire like you sister scribbler. Whether it's desire for the forbidden, for the new, or for something dark, you have us breathing hard in your grasp as we twist from poetic expectation to the thorn prick of terrible realisation. This is your forte; this right here. Go and write the book!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
06:41 Jan 04, 2024

A whole book seems like a very far away spec of hope for my 2024 but with you in my corner, I just might reach for it, thank you my miles across the miles 💖

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pamela Brown
21:59 Nov 17, 2023

AnnMarie, you are a wonderful Writer. You have such skill in metaphor which has deep and sometimes multiple meaning that's not obvious, but lies there enriching the story. 'To see how far we could swim out before turning back. (Such a powerful physical image). 'Running his fingers across the spines' (of the books, but of the character's spine too). The whole paragraph beginning, 'When the doors pulled open. The scent of the decaying library, the relationship between the library and the character's awareness of losing her virginity. My abso...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
01:01 Nov 18, 2023

You are so so sweet! Thank you for reading my story and leaving such kind words. I love metaphors :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jenni Bradshaw
20:24 Nov 21, 2023

AnneMarie!! Freakin' LOVE this! You lured me in from the get-go with your clever fingers! "Wasn't dating a professor supposed to feel dangerous?" 🔥🔥🔥 I thought I wasn't a fan of horror but I'd read yours over and over. The details!! And the details within the details!!!! (I'm screaming on the inside) 😱🤯 Love the subtly at the end because it's actually a powerful punch! 💥 Congrats on the well-deserved win!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:50 Nov 22, 2023

Thanks so much Jenni! Horror is probably one of my favorite genres but this was a little different approach. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paul Crehan
19:45 Nov 17, 2023

Hi, AnneMarie, Congatulations on your win! Of your story's many strengths, I particularly enjoyed the pace of it. Question: Did you by any chance have Poe's The Cask of Amontillado giving you the touch of an inspiring hand here and there? Maybe not, of course, but your story made me think of Poe's--not bad, right, that that should be so?! And I liked the honesty in your getting into the character's head. Well done! Altogether, very nicely done! Paul

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:27 Nov 17, 2023

Hi Paul! Thank you for your kind words. I did not have Poe on my mind. Actually not sure if I've read that one by him... I was thinking of some close calls I've had, some tricky moments where things could have gone south really quickly, and how powerful our intuition can be (as long as it's not delayed or distracted). But what a compliment that is. Thanks so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
17:40 Nov 17, 2023

Congratulations and about dang time!!! What a beautiful story to win on as well. So happy for you, AnneMarie.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
18:33 Nov 17, 2023

Thanks so much Kevin! I'm feeling the "about dang time" too 😂 was really starting to question my craftsmanship. Appreciate your support!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
16:31 Nov 17, 2023

ANNEMARIE. Yay <3 This was on my list to catch up on since I missed last week. I'll circle back to read it. I'm so happy for you!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:49 Nov 17, 2023

Thank you so much, Danie! I've been so behind on reading this week, too. Appreciate all your support, friend!

Reply

Danie Holland
23:34 Nov 18, 2023

Just chills. AnneMarie. Reading this while at my daughters cheer competition and there was intense music playing for two girls doing their dance on one of the teams. And the music mixed with your words took this to such a deep place for me. I don’t even know how to describe it. In the “in another life” part while I was reading the music was a beautiful instrumental piano around me and it was so satisfying. This is excellent writing. I love the opportunity to read your stories each week. This was a well earned win!!!! 💜

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
04:00 Nov 19, 2023

Aw. Music is such an incredible enhancer. Thanks for remembering to circle back and read this! It's been so wonderful reading your work, too, Danie! I've got high hopes for your story from last week. ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:14 Nov 17, 2023

Congrats on the win!🥳🥳🥳 So well deserved.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:53 Nov 17, 2023

Thank you so much, Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Terry Jaster
23:35 Mar 08, 2024

Libraries are very odd and strange places. Hidden nooks and crannies. You never know what or where you can find yourself. An excellent story about a very interesting place.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:46 Mar 29, 2024

Libraries are my favorite places for this reason! Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Erika Darling
14:01 Dec 30, 2023

This is such a compelling story I found myself reading it multiple times in a row wishing it hadn’t ended so soon. Absolutely fantastic!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:37 Dec 30, 2023

Thanks so much for reading, glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:04 Dec 12, 2023

Woah, this was amazing! The plot kept me on my toes to see what would happen next. Keep up the amazing work :)

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
13:52 Dec 12, 2023

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zoe C
10:00 Dec 10, 2023

In another life… I was so gripped by this story, the shutting down of options and escape routes so impressively executed. I was genuinely gripped and terrified. Fantastic story.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:08 Dec 10, 2023

Don't think a writer could receive a better compliment! Thanks for reading, Zoe! And welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:23 Dec 02, 2023

Scary story of a young woman wanting to know how love would be with a professor. Yet lingering in the back of her mind is a danger sign which she ignores because she wants the exciting experience. Very well-written and tense.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:37 Dec 02, 2023

You nailed it, Phyllis! That's exactly what I was going for, and you're right - scary indeed! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alan Harrell
20:50 Dec 01, 2023

Hi AnneMarie. This was awesome! Congrats on the win.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
21:05 Dec 01, 2023

Thanks Alan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailey Samantha
04:16 Dec 01, 2023

wow, this was fantastic. I hope you submit it to get published some day, with a few tweaks, this story has the potential to go great places, do great things. I love the use of dark academia as the genre- you nailed it. I want you to keep exploring this story because if you ever decided to create a novel from this short story's inspiration, I would love to read it! But, in terms of short story writing, I am utterly impressed with your character building, ability to show not tell, story pace, foreshadowing, suspense, word choice, just to name ...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
13:49 Dec 01, 2023

Thank you for reading and your kind words! I agree that some tweaking needs to be done. The week of the contest, I had reread it so many times and wanted to make changes but could not edit after its approval, of course. But your encouragement is enough to make me consider some revision and submission elsewhere. I'm very glad you enjoyed, Kailey, and so grateful for your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Geir Westrul
02:15 Dec 01, 2023

Very creepy. The slow build worked so well in this story.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:01 Dec 01, 2023

Thanks so much for reading, Geir! It was definitely a fun story to structure, despite it's sinister nature. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joelle George
22:15 Nov 27, 2023

Wow! Awesome story! I LOVE the ending where you contrast the possibilities of other lives with this life. First person can be tricky, but that was amazing. Great job pulling the reader directly into your story.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
22:49 Nov 27, 2023

Thanks for reading Joelle! I find first person to be my go-to. Though I'd love to work more with third person. I appreciate your time and thoughts!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keith Menendez
17:33 Nov 27, 2023

Great story! You had me hooked from the start. Congratulations on the win.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
22:49 Nov 27, 2023

Thanks so much Keith!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
16:35 Nov 25, 2023

Well deserved win! Congratulations. I only just got on reedsy to check things out so apologies for only now seeing this fine story. You have masterfully captured the wierd push pull of the more juvenile female mind - one that naturally wants a certain experience yet doesn't understand it. Extremely well captured with mounting tension leading to what is, probably, inevitable. I love that you delivered the goods with such precision, and knew where to end it.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:50 Nov 25, 2023

Thanks so much, Laurel! That means a lot coming from you!! You're so right on point when you say the "push pull of the more juvenile female mind." Absolutely! Those first years of freedom in college are still full of naivete. You can really only learn through experience but in this instance, she learned way too late. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.