0 comments

High School

Hi! I'm Janice and well, today I'm going to a party. Sounds fun right? Not for me though. I haven't really attended one in such a long time. Why? It all starts way back in highschool on a Friday night.

I was getting ready to attend a party, hosted by the most popular girl in school, Amelia. I was thrilled when I had recieved my invitation. I was kind of a nerd but I had some good friends.

When I arrived, I was feeling exicted. I had never been invited to a party before. The party was at Amelia's house. It was so crowded I could barely walk. There was a lot of food and many drinks (no alcohol). There was also music blasting through the speakers and people were dancing. I joined them and then I suddenly ran into Amelia.

" Hey! Glad you could make it!" she said smiling to me. She had blond hair, beautiful blue eyes, and was definitely really pretty.

" Yea! Me too! I'm sure it will be a blast!" I reply with the same smile.

I was about to walk off before I felt this really cold liquid splash down on my head and drip down to my clothes. I freeze and slowly turn behind me to find Amelia smirking with her emtpy cup that she dropped down with a clunk.

" W-wha-? W-why?" I sputter at her dripping and shaking. By now, everyone stopped what they were doing and turned to stare at me.

" Aw...Are you gonna cry? Do you actually think we would want you here, you nerd? Well, we don't so why don't you go home and cry to your mommy," Amelia said in a baby voice. Everyone laughed at me.

I actually did start crying. I could feel tears starting to prick my eyes so I ran out of there as fast as I could. I went home and told myself over and over again that I would never attend a party again.

Get why I'm nervous about attending a party again? It's been 10 years since the "accident" so I should move on. But the thing is, the party I'm attending, is my high school reunion party.

I know, I'm crazy for wanting to attend but surely Amelia has changed? I mean, I own a big business right now and my looks have become better. Ok. I've decided. I am going to go to the party and hopefully not regret it.

I change into a cute dress, put make up on, curl my hair a bit, and then walk out my front door. I get into my limo and I have someone drive me to my location.

This time, it was at my old high school. As I stepped out of my limo, the people outside turned to stare at me wondering how the high school nerd became this rich, pretty, woman. I walked in the high school not minding them and I saw a lot of people I regonized but I didn't see Amelia nor my friends. Well, I knew I wouldn't see my friends since they told me so but I was kind of hoping they would be there.

I kept looking around until I bumped into someone. I touch my head a little from the pain and we both say,

" I'm sorry!"

I look up to see Amelia (or at least I think) staring back at me. She looked the same as highschool but older.

" Amelia?" I question.

" Janice?" she questions.

" W-wow! It's been a long time. How are you?" I say to her shocked face.

" I'm good. How are you?" she replies. She seems nicer or maybe she was just tricking me again.

" I'm doing good. I actually own the JJ company," I say and with a reply I see a shocked face.

" That big company? It's yours? I didn't realize it," she said to me.

" Ya," I say sorta smiling at her.

" Well, I'm sorry. I hope you can forgive me again. I really wanna be friends with you," she says sadly.

So that's how she wants to play. She thinks I can forgive her for humiliating me. And now she wants to be friends? Is it because of my money? Huh?

" I'm sorry Amelia," I say in my nicest tone. " But I don't think we can be friends. You say sorry after you find out I have money. I don't like to be used for things," I say and then I walk out of her sight.

After that nonsense, I actually had a great time. I was drinking soda and partying. The best thing is that my besties made it! I had convinced them to come along so that I could chat with them.

We danced, laughed, and caught up with old friends that we hadn't talked to for a while. It was so much fun. I missed having a party like this. We stayed until 10:00 p.m but then everyone started to leave. I was getting tired so I decided to head home. After all, tomorrow was a big day for me. I was going to be giving a big speech to a crowd and I had to get ready.

I was going to revise my speech again but I was tired from all that laughter and fun so I immidently fell asleep. The next morning I woke up at 6:00 ready for the speech. I head there arriving early and I perform my speech with ease.

I never really had stage fright so I did it amazingly. Maybe because of last night. I had to admit it was the most fun I had ever had. I smiled at everyone as I talked loud and clear. I didn't need a script because I was excellent at memorizing. Once I was done, everyone gave me a standing ovation as they clapped loudly. I felt proud as I walked off the stage smiling. I drove home thinking at my friends and when the next party I could be attending. I hope I wasn't about to get addicted.

May 10, 2021 01:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.