Finally Happy

Submitted into Contest #95 in response to: Write about someone finally making their own choices.... view prompt

0 comments

Lesbian

The day started out great. Aribell woke up to the smell of fresh pancakes and her boyfriend's smiling face. She had smiled back, but couldn't help feeling a little upset.

Unfortunately for her boyfriend, Aribell was a lesbian. If she could choose, she would be dating her best friend, Cam. But her parents were anti-LGBTQ+ and wanted Aribell to date boys. Aribell loved her parents, so she did everything they said. Her parents were the ones who picked out Dave for Aribell. She hadn't had a choice.

Sure, Dave was great. He was nice and gave Aribell anything she could ever want. He never yelled at her. Dave loved Aribell, but Aribell knew she would never feel the same.

After Aribell ate and got ready for the day the doorbell rang. Aribell opened it to see Cam's smiling face. Aribell's heart skipped a beat as she stared into Cam's soft brown eyes. Cam's dark brown hair was braided and gold hoops hung from her ears.

"H-hi Cam. Come in," Aribell stuttered after a second. Cam stepped inside and waved at Dave.

"Good morning Cam," Dave said cheerfully, "do you want some pancakes?"

"Of course!" Cam headed into the dining room. Aribell shut the door and followed her.

"I just came by to see if you wanted to go shopping, but I never pass up the chance to have free pancakes!" Cam said to Aribell. Cam sat down at the table and Dave placed the pancakes in front of her.

"I'd love to go shopping, but I have work," Aribell told Cam. Truth be told, Aribell wanted nothing more than to go shopping with Cam, but she had already skimmed off work five times before. Her boss said that if she missed one more day she would be fired.

"I think you should go," Dave said.

"But I'll be fired!" Aribell protested.

"I'll call your boss and tell him it was a 'family emergency'," Dave shrugged. Aribell hesitated for a second before she agreed.

"Great! Let's go!" Cam exclaimed. She grabbed Aribell's hand and pulled her out the door. Aribell stared at their hands and she felt her face grow red. She wanted to hold Cam's hand forever.

They hopped into Cam's red car and sped off for the mall.

They spent most of the day shopping for clothes. Cam looked amazing in everything she tried on and Aribell couldn't help staring.

Aribell tried a lot of outfits but her favorite was a grass green dress that reached down to her heels. It matched her green eyes and complemented her body perfectly.

"You look amazing!" Cam exclaimed.

"Thanks, I'd love to get it, but it's way too much." Aribell sighed. She loved the dress so much.

"Honey, I know how much you like this. I'll buy it for you!" Cam said.

"Oh-no, you won't!"

"Oh yes, I will! I have the money, and you deserve the very best!" Cam ordered. Aribell knew that she wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Okay, thank you," Aribell sighed. Cam grinned and Aribell melted. They bought their clothes and went to lunch.

After Cam drove them to her house.

"Why are we at your house?" Aribell asked, confused.

"I thought you should change into your favorite dress so you can show Dave," Cam told her.

"Oh. That's a good idea," Aribell said, her smile falling.

"Hey, you okay?" Cam asked as she placed her hand on Aribell's.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Aribell answered. They drove to Cam's house in silence.

Once they arrived Aribell was excited again. Cam had a cat named Hogin. Aribell loved cats and wanted to have one, but Dave was very allergic.

Once they went inside Hogin ran up to Aribell and meowed happily.

"Hi Hogin! I missed you!" Aribell said as she bent over to pet him. Cam dropped the bags with the clothes on the couch. She rifled through the bags until she found Aribell's dress.

"Come on Ari, go up stairs and get dressed!" Cam held out the dress to Aribell. Cam was the only person who called Aribell Ari and Aribell loved it. But if anyone else tried she shut them down quickly.

Aribell grabbed the dress and headed upstairs.

A few minutes later she returned with her t-shirt and pants in her hand. Cam grinned happily and Aribell felt light headed.

"Makeup time!" Cam exclaimed. Aribell grinned and let Cam brush her red hair. Cam applied a thin layer of makeup because Aribell didn't like a lot. Aribell couldn't help blushing as Cam's hands ran gently through her hair, untangling any knots that the brush missed.

When Cam was satisfied they got back in the car and drove to Aribell's house.

Once they arrived Cam turned to Aribell and said, "have fun in there!" A mischievous grin on her face.

"I better not be walking into a big prank!" Aribell said. Cam laughed and Aribell's knees shook. Her breath caught and her cheeks flushed. Cam's laugh was Aribell's favorite sound.

Aribell got out of the car and waved goodbye to Cam. Cam's car sped away and Aribell walked up to her door. She inserted her key and opened the door.

"Dave I'm back!" She called. Hearing nothing she walked into the living room to see Dave standing in a tuxedo. He got down on one knee and pulled out a ring. Aribell was filled with dread. He was speaking but all she heard was forever and love.

Once he finished he stared at her with hope in his eyes. Airbell's feeling and thoughts were locked in an intense battle who's victor would decide her fate.

"Aribell?" Dave said. Aribell fell to her knees and started crying.

"I'm sorry Dave, no, I won't," she sobbed. Dave stood up, his eyes brimming with tears.

"It's okay, we can just take more time," he told her.

"No Dave, we can't!" Aribell bawled.

"But Aribell, why?" Dave asked, confused.

"I don't love you! I'm a lesbian!" And with that Aribell ran. She ran out of the house and all the way to Cam's.

When Aribell pounded on Cam's door she was still crying. Cam opened her door and Aribell hugged her. Cam sighed sadly and hugged her back.

She caressed Aribell's head and said, "It's okay, you're okay," over and over again.

After a few minutes Aribell had stopped crying. Cam let go of her and pulled her into the living room. Aribell sunk on to the couch and Hogin jumped into her lap.

"I'm going to get you some tea," Cam told Aribell. She rested a hand on Aribell's shoulder on her way to the kitchen. Aribell petted Hogin for a few minutes before Cam returned. Cam handed Aribell a warm cup of tea. Cam sat down next to Aribell. Aribell stared at her tea for a few minutes. She saw her reflection. Aribell had to admit she looked like a mess.

"Aright Ari, what happened?" Cam asked.

Aribell sighed, "he asked me to marry him. I said no."

More tears pooled at the edge of her eyes.

"Oh Ari," Cam sighed. She put her arm around Aribell's shoulder and pulled her close. But Aribell pushed her away.

"Cam?" Aribell said.

"Yeah Ari?" Cam replied.

"There's something I need to tell you," Aribell said as she looked anywhere but Cam. Aribell took a deep breath and continued, "The reason I said no to Dave was because I'm a lesbian. I was never in love with Dave. My parents made me date him."

"Oh Ari, why didn't you tell me sooner? I might have been able to help." Cam said sadly.

"Thanks, but there's nothing you could have done."

"Well, I have something I need to tell you too. Ari, put down the tea and look at me," Cam ordered. Aribell did as she said. Cam got off the couch and pulled a chair across from Aribell. Their legs were touching and Cam held Aribells hands. Green eyes met brown eyes and Aribell felt her face heat up from Cam's intense glance.

"Ari, do you remember the first time we met?" Cam asked.

Aribell nodded, "how could I forget?"

"You were getting bullied because you were reading a book."

"You stepped in and saved me. And then some jerk called you a 'black freak' and said that you were a beast."

"You stood up for me. I had never had any friends who would do that. I think that was when I fell in love with you, though I didn't realise it." Aribell gasped and Cam's face flushed.

"You're-you're in love with me?" Aribell stuttered.

"Are you?" Cam asked.

Aribell nodded and breathed out, "hopelessly."

"Madly," Cam replied.

"Endlessly." They had been moving closer together the whole time. Cam brought her hands up and caressed Aribell's face.

"Cam? What are you-" Aribell started as her face flushed more and more. She was interrupted by Cam pushing their lips together. Aribell melted as Cam's soft lips gently kissed Aribell's. Aribell found herself wanting to kiss Cam forever. She wanted to hold Cam tight and never let go. After years and years of sadness, Aribell was finally happy.

Aribell was the one to pull away for air.

Cam brought her hands up to her lips and said, "that was..."

"Amazing," Aribell finished. Cam nodded in agreement.

"Shall we continue?" Cam asked. Aribell nodded quickly and they were about to kiss again when the door bell rang. Up until now the problem with Dave was shoved in the back of Aribell's mind, but now it was back and Aribell was nervous.

"Do you want to talk to him?" Cam asked, concerned. Aribell took a deep breath and nodded. Cam stood up and went to open the door. She returned with Dave.

"Hi Dave," Aribell said sheepishly.

"Hi Aribell," Dave replied.

"I'll give you two some space," Cam said as she grabbed Hogin and went upstairs.

Aribell and Dave stared at each other for awhile before Dave sighed and asked, "Aribell, why didn't you tell me sooner?"

Aribell looked down before she said, "You know my parents are anti-LGBTQ+ right?" Dave's mouth dropped and he shook his head. "Well they are. I didn't want to disappoint them and I thought that if I had to get married to a boy I couldn't find a better man than you."

"Thank you Aribell, but-" Dave started.

"I didn't finish. I come to realize that I don't want to get married to a boy. Dave, you are such a great man and I hope that when this is over we can still be friends, but I need to follow my heart." Aribell finished.

"Aribell, I understand. I would like to remain friends too." Dave agreed.

"Really? Thank you Dave!" Aribell said, relieved.

"I'm going to head home, you coming?" Dave asked. Aribell looked at the stairs and saw Cams bushy hair poking out.

Aribell smiled and said, "thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stay here." Dave nodded and left.

"Cam, get down here." Aribell ordered. Cam emerged from the stairs and smiled sheepishly.

Aribell laughed and said, "you know you're not a good spy right?"

Cam plopped down next to Aribell and said, "you're right, I'm not a good spy, I'm a great spy!" Aribell chuckled and pulled Cam in for a kiss.

7 years later

Dave moved into his old apartment and gave Aribell their house. He found a girl who loved him and they got married. Together they were finally happy.

As predicted, Aribell's parents freaked out. They told Aribell that they never wanted to talk to her again. They were not finally happy, but no one wanted them to be.

Aribell and Cam moved in together and got married. They bought a cute cottage on the beach and adopted a little girl named Kalila. Hogin also got a new cat friend named Calynn. And they were all finally happy.

May 22, 2021 21:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.