0 comments

Christmas Fiction Holiday

Title: The Little Match Girl's Christmas Miracle

It was so terribly cold. Snow was falling, and it was almost dark. The streets were deserted, and the only sound was the soft crunch of snow under the little girl's feet. She was shivering with cold, her bare feet numb from walking in the snow. She wore nothing but a thin dress, and her long, golden hair was matted and tangled.

The little match girl had been out all day, trying to sell her matches. She had hoped to earn enough money to buy some food for her family. But nobody had wanted to buy her matches. She had tried every street corner, but nobody had shown any interest.

Now, as the day turned into night, the little girl grew more and more desperate. She had not eaten all day, and her stomach was empty. Her feet were so cold, she could hardly feel them. She knew that if she didn't sell any matches soon, she would have to go home empty-handed, and her family would go hungry.

As she walked, the little girl suddenly saw a warm glow coming from a nearby alley. She hesitated for a moment, then decided to investigate. As she drew closer, she saw that the light was coming from a small fire burning in a trash can. She felt a surge of hope, knowing that the fire could provide some warmth.

The little girl approached the fire, holding her hands out to warm them. She looked around, hoping to find some discarded paper or cardboard to burn, to keep the fire going. But the alley was empty, and there was nothing she could use.

As she stood there, shivering and hungry, she remembered the matches in her pocket. She hesitated for a moment, then pulled them out, one by one. She struck a match, and it flared to life, illuminating her face.

In the flickering light, the little girl saw a vision of warmth and comfort. She saw a roaring fire, a table piled high with food, and a loving family gathered around. For a moment, she forgot about her cold and hunger, lost in the beauty of the vision.

But as the match burned down to her fingers, the vision disappeared. She struck another match, and again, the vision appeared. This time, she saw a beautiful Christmas tree, decorated with candles and ornaments. She saw presents piled high under the tree, and a happy family gathered around.

As the match burned down, the little girl saw the vision fade away. She struck another match, and this time, she saw a beautiful angel, singing in the sky. She saw the angel's face, and it was so beautiful that she knew it must be the face of her grandmother, who had died just a few months before.

As the match burned down, the little girl saw the vision fade away. She struck another match, but this time, she did not want to watch the vision disappear. Instead, she held the match close to her chest, hoping to keep the flame alive for just a little longer.

And then, as she held the match close, she felt a warm hand on her shoulder. She looked up and saw a woman standing there, smiling down at her. The woman was dressed in warm clothes, and she held out her hand, inviting the little girl to come with her.

The little girl hesitated for a moment, then took the woman's hand. As they walked down the alley, the little girl saw that there were other people there too. They were all gathered around a warm fire, talking and laughing. The little girl felt a surge of happiness, knowing that she had found a place where she could be warm and safe.

The woman led the little girl to a small house, where she introduced her to her family, The woman's family welcomed the little match girl with open arms. They were kind and gentle, and they gave her warm clothes and a hot meal. The little girl felt so grateful and relieved, tears of joy streaming down her face.

As she sat down to eat, the little girl shared her story with the family. She told them about her mother and father, who were too poor to provide for her and her siblings. She told them about her grandmother, who had always been her closest friend, but who had passed away. She told them about her desperate attempt to sell matches, just so she could buy some food for her family.

The family listened to her story with sympathy and understanding. They told her that they would help her, that they would make sure she was safe and warm, and that they would do everything they could to help her family.

Over the next few days, the little match girl stayed with the family. She slept in a warm bed, ate hot meals, and spent time with the family. They played games, read stories, and sang songs together. The little girl felt so happy and loved, like she had found a new family.

One day, the family took the little girl to a Christmas market. They showed her all the beautiful decorations, the festive lights, and the delicious treats. The little girl was amazed and delighted by everything she saw.

As they walked through the market, the little girl saw a stall selling matches. She felt a pang of sadness and guilt, knowing that she had failed to sell her matches just a few days before. But the family saw her looking at the matches, and they asked her if she wanted to sell them.

At first, the little girl hesitated. She didn't want to go back to the streets, to face the cold and the rejection again. But the family encouraged her, telling her that they would be there to support her. They gave her a warm coat, a pair of boots, and a bag to carry the matches in.

With their support, the little match girl went out to sell her matches once again. This time, she felt different. She felt confident and determined, knowing that she had a family to come back to. She approached people with a smile, telling them about her matches and offering them for sale.

To her surprise, people were much more willing to buy her matches this time. Maybe it was her newfound confidence, or maybe it was the kindness and support of the family. But whatever the reason, the little match girl sold all of her matches, and even made some extra money.

Overjoyed and grateful, the little match girl ran back to the family, her bag of money clutched tightly in her hand. She ran into the house, shouting with happiness. The family welcomed her back with open arms, overjoyed to see her so happy.

The little girl gave the family the money she had earned, telling them that she wanted to help her family. The family was so touched by her generosity, and they told her that they would help her, too. They promised to visit her family and bring them food and warmth.

On Christmas Eve, the little match girl went to bed early, exhausted but happy. As she fell asleep, she dreamed of a beautiful Christmas tree, with candles and ornaments, and a happy family gathered around. And when she woke up on Christmas morning, she found that her dream had come true.

The family had decorated their home with a beautiful tree, just for her. They had wrapped presents and laid them under the tree, with her name on them. They had cooked a delicious meal and set the table with their finest dishes.

The little match girl could hardly believe her eyes. She had never had a Christmas like this before, filled with warmth and love and happiness

March 14, 2023 08:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.