6 comments

American Christmas Holiday

My phone hasn't stopped ringing for the past 10 minutes, and I know who might be calling me at this hour, especially in the holiday season. I stood up and frustratingly picked up the mobile, suddenly it stopped ringing. I wonder how it suddenly went silent until I heard her voice coming from my phone.

These touch screen mobiles aren't in my favor nowadays. I don't know when my finger pressed the answered button. Guess it's confirmed that my life is full of surprises.

"Kevin there? " she said happily. I know answering the phone call made her happy considering the fact that she has gotten remarried to a german guy named Karl, and since then, I am barely answering her calls. It's time to talk to her because I can't do this ignore her with my mom. After all, it isn't her fault. It's the German guy who knows how to charm women.

"Yes, Mom!" I replied, pretending to sound happy.

"How are you, sweetie?" 

"Pretty good."

"That's great darling! What are your plans for the holiday?" she asked me.

Why would she ask about my plans when she knows that she and I do hoteling as she doesn't believe in tradition, so our family never had any traditions. 

"Nothing, I will pick you up for hoteling, that's our usual. Isn't it?" I replied, but still, there is a ballon of curiosity.

She didn't reply instantly. Guess things are changing in her life. But how do I get involved in it?

After I long silence, she said, "Kevin...There are traditions in Karl's family, so would you like to join us?" she asked me hesitantly. I know my answer matter to her, and it will affect her life. Also, I don't want to upset her, but these traditions have never been my thing.

"Is it important for you?" I asked politely

"Yes, and I have been dying you to see your face" there is sadness in her voice. She really wants to meet me.

"Ping me the address." 

"Kevin my boy, thank you," and there she becomes happy. Only one sentence can make her happy and excited. I chuckled at how excited she sounds.

"But, Bake a pie, only then you can enter the house," She said, and here goes another mystery. A PIE. WHY?

"Why?" I asked her

"Its one of Karl's family tradition, that everybody has to bake a pie and Karl is very serious about tradition..." she answered.

Traditions, what does it have to do with me? I am not a part of his family, then how can this apply to me. God save me

"Why do I have to bake a pie? Cant I just purchase it?" I asked her

"NO! you can not, Bake it, Kevin for me please and be on time," She answered immediately. 

Before I answer her, she bid me farewell and hang up the phone. Prior to hanging up the phone, I could hear a girl's voice. 

It seems like Karl has kids, but damn, her voice sounded so firm, mature, and sweet. Is it even possible for a child to have such a voice?

OH GOD! Traditions and kids aren't my things. Now thinking of how can I bake a pie, who hasn't cooked anything. All my life, I have survived on take-away, and sometimes my Ex-girlfriends would pity and cook food for me. That's a life of a loner.

Hope I am not late, I have knocked twice on the door, but still, nobody opened the door, I have even baked a pie, I wouldnt take the whole credit because I had to call my friend for it and I just stood there for the moral support, guess that I have owned the half credit. 

I will knock one more time, and then I'm gonna leave. Well, I have cracked a perfect solution to avoid this traditional thing. Before I can knock for the third time, somebody opened it. Some huge, handsome guy was standing in front of me. I guess that is Karl. I faked a smile and said, "Hi." 

Okay, he just stood there and was glaring at me, like he wants to kill me. Then I clarified and said, "I'm Kevin, Are you Karl?" 

this went well, he nodded in my direction and asked me to come inside, but before letting me in, he glanced at the pie in my hands and asked me, "You made it? "

"Yes!" I said instantly. I changed my mind. I'm gonna take the whole credit for the pie. He nodded in return.

I entered the house, anticipating to see mom so that I can hug her. I looked around, and I must its decoration is on point, Christmas light is hanging on the walls while the whole dining room is in the themed color of white and red.

As I was praising the decor in my mind, Karl cleared his throat to get my attention.

" She is in the kitchen," he said. I nodded in his direction and went to the kitchen.

Oh My God! she looks so beautiful, she is wearing a red frock, and still, she looks fit. Karl can't change her mind about fitness. 

"Hey, Beautiful! " I exclaimed from the corner of the kitchen and moved forward to hug her. She chuckled as she hugged me back and said, "My handsome son!" 

We released each other, and the first thing she asked me is about pie, and I told her that I made it, still owning the full credit. She asked me to settle in the dining room as it dinner time and time to meet her husband's family.

I went to the dining room, but there is no-one except a girl who is hanging more Christmas lights around the room. She is standing on a stool that might trip at any moment.

She is wearing a T-shirt that has a red base with white polka dots with denim jeans in the bottom. As I was noticing her struggling with decor, suddenly my phone rang, and that distracted her as she turned around to see me, the stool had quite a timing to trip, I ran in her direction to catch her, such heroic act but I failed. Instead, I slipped because of the damn carpet. As I fell, she falls on top of me. I did save her indirectly by slipping. 

I couldn't see her face as her silky curl hairs were on the face before I could remove them, she stood up instantly and detangling the light that was tangled around my leg, I still couldn't see her face her long hairs were covering it. I stood up and asked her if she is okay. Moreover, that way, I can see her face. 

"Are you okay?" I asked her polity, hoping for an answer, but instead, she just nodded enough so that I can see her head moving to my question. What a fail try, Kevin. 

To avoid embarrassment, the seat had my back in her direction because I cannot handle this much failure in one day. 

I sat down there, and Karl came, smiled in my direction, then asked that girl, "Kandice, there are enough light here, wrap it up and join us at the dining table" he said

"Okay, Karl," She replied, but damn, her voice sounded similarly. After thinking a lot, I remembered that her voice was in the background when I was talking, mom. Damn, What A Voice! But Why would she address her dad by his name?

I could hear her wrapping stuff, and then her footsteps were fading as she went into the other room. I didn't turn to see her.

My mom joined us at the table, and then, finally, I saw her angelic face.

I couldn't stop gazing at her, her small oval-shaped face, her hazel eyes with a hint of greens in it. This is the first time I had made eye contact with her as she sat on the opposite side of mine.

My mom cleared her throat to get my attention, or maybe she must have noticed the way I'm gazing at her. 

"Kandice, This is my son, Kevin" finally, mum introduced me. Once again, we made an eye-contact, but this time passed a smile, and yet again, she nodded with a little curve of a smile.

"And Kevin, Kandice is Karl's sister's daughter, she lives here with us. " mum said and looked in Kandice's direction and smiled, patted on her shoulders. 

"In fact, I adore her so much, that I consider her my daughter," mum said when I was drinking water. After listening to this, I almost spilled some on the table because of this statement. I can't let this beautiful girl become my sister, no. What Mom? Why is she like this?

Mum and Kandice's attention was back at me. I made an apologetic face. Afterward, Karl joined us and said, "Time for prayer as per tradition." 

As I saw all of them closing my eyes and praying. I set their silently feeling I have no existence for now. Why are there new traditions on every step that I didn't know about it before?

They finished praying, and I had to pretend that I just have finished my pray before them. There are pie's, pudding, stuffing, and rice on the table. I have been starving since evening, so I couldn't resist all the stuff in front of me, as I picked stuffing to take some in my plate.

Karl glanced at me and said, "Before digging in, we have a tradition that has to be followed by everyone who is seated on this table and I expect from you, a young man that you would honor it" the way he said was quite threatening. I kept that bowl in its place. 

"We all tell each other our wishes," He said to me. I nodded in return. He looked in Kandice's direction, and she finally smiled. Her smile makes her more like an angel.

"I wish that one day, I make you proud of me in front of everyone," she said, and her eyes twinkled as it came right from her heart. Then Karl looked in mum's direction.

"I wish, I could see my son every day," she said while looking in my direction. She had tears in her eyes, joyful tears. She was happy that I came to her. Then he looked at me. Guess it's my turn.

"I wish that I could fulfill your wish mom. I love you." I said, and she smiled. I am gonna try that for sure. Kandice smiled as she heard my wish. It's Karl's turn now. 

"I wish to see you all happy and healthy in your life," Karl said, and damn he got some great skills to charm people.

After following all the traditions, we ate, and nobody said a word while eating. Guess it's another tradition. 

After dining, I helped mum to warp the table, and we had a small chat about Kandice and how I was astonished at how beautiful she is. I told her that I want to keep coming here, but there are too many traditions that I can't cope up with that. She clarified that Karl isn't always this straightforward as he was at the dining with me, and I understand her because it's the tradition he values and honors. I respect that.

 I bid farewell to mum and Karl. I wanted to Kandice, but she went straight to her room after dinner. Guess another time I have to find some other ideas to talk to her. I even told mom not to make Kandice her daughter and how her statement gave me a heart attack on the table.

End of the day with hope in my heart to see Kandice again.

November 27, 2020 19:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Teni Makkani
16:29 Dec 03, 2020

such a sweet storryyyyy <3

Reply

Tanzeel Fatima
16:34 Dec 03, 2020

Thank you <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:41 Nov 27, 2020

Amaaaaaaazinggg!!! But I'd still like to know how did the pie taste🤪🙊

Reply

Tanzeel Fatima
20:03 Nov 27, 2020

Kevin didn't make that pie. He just gave his friend, moral support!!! LOL!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarrah Khozema
19:49 Nov 27, 2020

The way you have described everything is commendable. I just looooveeeddd the traditions you talked about. Specially the way you conveyed the whole pie situation. Keep it up girlllll 😍😍

Reply

Tanzeel Fatima
20:01 Nov 27, 2020

Thank you for encouraging me to write this prompt!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.