The Shop

Submitted into Contest #33 in response to: Write a story set in a salon or barbershop.... view prompt

2 comments

General

I met him at the shop, the barber shop of course his brown skin beautiful, blue eyes and curly, dark brown hair caught me off guard. I had to step up my game and just ask. "Come on CC don't be a coward," I thought to myself. You only have one chance to do this right ,one chance . He sits down about 10 seats from me and gets on his phone I must be staring to hard because now he's looking back so I look away but I have to steal one more look but when I look over he's already staring . I motion him over and say "if I give you my number will you text me " and he says yes so I put my number in his phone and leave . Thirty minutes feel like an hour but finally he texts me and says "this the guy from the shop " and I reply trying to keep my cool , "hey wassup " .Three weeks later I'm helping him pull a lick definition "rob some body ", I never thought I'd be doing this but he claims he loves me and this is best for the both of us .God tell me why I'm doing this I think as I put the white mask on .We walk into the bank and he says put your hands up and nobody gets hurt , and he tells me to put the money in the bags so thats what I do because he loves me and he's my everything by the time I fill up my third bag I hear gun shots and turn around too see my love on the floor bleeding out ,and a cop standing above him .I drop the bags of cash and rush towards him , crying I say please stay with me babe , don't die on me please, I love you .Mean while the cop calls for back up but I pay him no mind , because a piece of me is dying inside of my arms .As tears fall down my cheek , my love from the shop is getting colder ,he pulls me towards him and says I did it for us and then his breath is no more , that's it , that's all , how could you die on me , we were supposed to be together forever .The police arrive and take me into custody all I can think about is my loves dead body , and how he said he did this for us .The investigators interrupt my thought process by asking me these three questions .How did you get involved , What connections did you have with him , and Where did you meet . All I can say is "it started at the shop" but that's all they get out of me before I swallow the pill he gave me in the car before we pulled the hit , And then it's over and I'm back at the shop , why am I back at the shop? Why is he walking in again acting like he doesn't know me ? Then it hits me , he doesn't know me and it's not meant for me to know him .The pill gave me a chance , a chance to start over and that's exactly what I do. A chance to start over with him , he sits down oh he's just the way I remember him .I sit and wonder what to say to him , should I say "hey babe , we should've never rob that bank" , or "hey do you remember when we first met " ,ughh of course he doesn't remember me , this is so frustrating . I lean back and think about all the times leading up too that robbery and I think maybe just maybe I can save him , and do this one thing for us. Finally I get up walk over too him and say hey ,he looks up from his phone and says wassup , I reply and say give me your phone please, he hands me his phone and I put my number in it hand him his phone back and walk out the door . Just like last time he texts me thirty minutes later. We talk about the same stuff and ,three weeks later he's driving me back to the bank to pull a lick , claiming it's going to be an easy job in and out and no one gets hurt .I have to make a quick decision let him die that horrible death again or tell him that its not worth it , we'll make the money some other way or tell him if you walk through that door today you won't ever come back through it except for in a body bag . I go with my second option and I tell him babe let's just drive away ,after arguing he finally agrees and as he pulls off an pick up truck hits the driver's side I look over and not again , babe wake up ,this it not happening again . Where's the pill , where's the pill , I look through his car frantically and finally find it in his pocket and put it in my mouth swallow it and boom I'm back in the same shop , he's walking through that same door again ,and sits in the same exact chair .I'm tired of this maybe I should just walk out now , leave him alone atleast I know he'd still be alive without me in his life but no I try again . I walk up to him take his phone put my number in leave 3 weeks later he's dead again . I try five more times and the last try right before we get out the car to pull the lick he says I feel like I've done this before and someone's going to die and I say yes , I know ,that some one is you before he can respond I shoot him ,take the pill .Walk out the shop and never return .To this day I haven't set foot in that shop. The shop where my past haunts me and my love will never be , I did it for us. So you can be free.

March 15, 2020 08:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Bruno Lowagie
08:18 Mar 26, 2020

Interpunction is somewhat a problem, because it makes it harder to read your story, but the story in itself is good. It reminds me of the German movie "Lola Rennt" (I think the English title was "Run Lola Run"; it dates from 1998). If you're looking for a good movie to watch in Corona-times, you might want to check that movie out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tim Law
08:18 Mar 26, 2020

Wow... Such a clever idea Caliyah... Tough choice but the right one in the end... Love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.