0 comments

Fiction Romance Friendship

“Yes, a party. You have to come. I’m not taking no for an answer.”

“But -”

“Nope. You’re coming. No buts. No complaints. No excuses.”

I dwelled on the conversation from last week. As I stared back at my reflection in the mirror, I let my thoughts overtake me. At least, I wasn’t completely in the dark. I did have a few people that I knew. After all, this was my home eight years ago. And I could always count on my best friend, Rose, who was the only person I stayed in touch with all these years.

Seven schools in eight years and I finally get to complete what’s left of my high school experience in one place. I thought it would’ve been good to be back to the one place I called home once upon a time, but it’s all the same. The anxiety of starting a new school. Making new friends. Just the thought of it gets my heart racing.

From the likes of it, I wasn’t attending a new school. I already had all the gossip - from the unusual teachers to the mean girls to the ‘it’ couples. Yeah, Rose likes to talk, and she’s a socialite. I, on the other hand, am what you call a wallflower. I don’t stand out. I don’t fit in. I simply just am.

And here I am, sitting in front of the mirror, trying to find a good excuse to miss the party tonight. Parties aren’t my scene - never were, never will be. The last time I went to a party was Rose’s eighth birthday-ish slumber party and considering we were two of five girls there, it wasn’t something to be afraid of. ‘God, I miss being a kid and not caring.’ I mentally sighed.

I brushed my hair and tied it into a high pony. For the sole fear of facing Rose’s wrath, I have to power through this. The thought put a smile on my face.

“Kassie, honey, Rose is here.” I heard my mom call out. Is it weird that I expected her to jump scare me in my room? It is more her style. With one last glance in the mirror, I took a deep breath and grabbing my jacket, left my room, partially waiting to get this over with.

Reaching the staircase, I caught sight of my bestie, rocking a new short, pixie cut and a gorgeous blue dress. How I wish I had her slim figure. On catching sight of me, she gasped and exclaimed, “O. M. G.”

Call me crazy, but I thought of that as a compliment. When she started running up the stairs, I imagined a long-time due hug, but clearly, that’s not what she was thinking. She pushed me back up the stairs, a disapproving look smeared across her face. “Nope. Just no.”

“Well, hello to you too.” I responded with a sheepish smile.

“You are not wearing that.” She responded, her eyebrow raised. With a defeated sigh, I walked back to my room, as she followed. Determined as I was to not draw attention, I know there’s no arguing with her. She always wins.

After letting her empty out my wardrobe so she could pick out my outfit, I quickly got changed. I talked her out of heels and make-up, considering I was super uncomfortable in the short, black dress that reached just above my knees. But we finally got out of the house after it got a little darker and was off to hers.

Getting to her house didn’t take long and there was already a huge crowd outside. Loud music blasted through the area, masking the noise of people talking and screaming, and what I presume was howling. We got to the gate and I started fidgeting with my dress nervously. “Before we go,” She held out her hand. “You need to let your hair down.”

Rolling my eyes, I took my hair tie out and placed it onto her hand. “Thank you.” She smiled and strolled away through the crowded yard. I hesitated to even step foot past the gate. Rose turned around, looked at me and came walking back. “You’re not missing out this time.” She said, grabbing my hand and pulling me in.

As she smiled, waved and helloed everyone, I followed behind like an awkward shadow. “Hey, Janice.” She called out to a tall, blonde-haired girl in glasses. “This is the girly I was telling you about.” I looked at her, smiling and she returned my smile.

“Sweety, don’t be afraid. I’m not gonna bite.” She said, taking a sip from her red cup.

“Nah, she just needs some liquid courage.” Rose said as she winked. “Be right back.”

I gulped. ‘Please let me get lost in this sea of people.’ I mentally prayed. She pulled my hand as she made her way to the kitchenette. I closed my eyes, blindly allowing her to lead me. We stopped for a minute.

She let go of my hand and started yelling, heading in the other direction, “Hey! Put that down!” Handsome guy with the lamp, you may have just saved my life. I wandered around randomly through the endless horde of sweaty, talking, dancing and possibly drunk seniors. It wasn’t a pretty sight.

Finally making my way to a corner, I stayed by the wall near what I assumed to be a closet, my phone in my hand. And now, to get some peace of mind -

The door beside me opened. A guy peered out, looked around and then seeing me, pulled me into the room, slamming the door shut, causing a few brooms and mops to fall. The space was quite enclosed and lit by a single light bulb that hung in the center. To say I was scared was an understatement. “W-what are you doing? Let me lea-” He pushed his hand against my mouth, shutting me up. He looked out, through a small hole in the door, as if looking for someone.

“You’re trying to hide out too, aren’t you?” He grinned, letting me go. I stared in shock but mostly admiring his chiseled features that were highlighted by his tight white shirt. This dude was hot! I bit my lip and hoped he wouldn’t notice the cherry red blush that crept up on my cheeks.

‘What are you thinking?! You don’t know him and you’re stuck in a room with him! Time to panic!’ My mind alerted me.

“Sorry for the creepy behaviour. I swear I’m not that kind of guy.” He said. I just stared in fear at his almost towering figure. His voice was just as mesmerizing as his looks. OMG! Snap out of it! I need my rational mind back.

He opened his mouth to say something but remained silent with a confused look on my face. “You don’t remember who I am, do you?”

I think I would’ve remembered him if I’d seen him somewhere. Finally grasping up enough courage, I found the nerve to talk, “S-should I?”

He laughed. “Wow. Okay. This just got weird.” He scratched his golden-brown hair and continued, “I’m Aaron. We went to school together. Known each other since the first grade?”

No freaking way!!

My mouth dropped. No way this was the same kid I knew way back when. Not a chance. He was tiny and chubby, and he wore these huge, nerdy glasses that almost always sat at the bottom of his nose.  Sure we were friends, but this is not him.

He laughed at the uncomfortable silence settling between us. “I know what you’re thinking, but yeah, I’m him.”

“I-I don’t believe it.”

“Yeah. Puberty’s been kind.” He gave a weak laugh. “And you, you look good as well. Can’t say you’ve changed much, but you definitely outgrew those pigtails.” He giggled. I could tell he was struggling to strike up a conversation with me. He had a million questions but didn’t know what to say. ‘I know the feeling.’ I thought to myself.

“So,” I paused, looking at him. “Any reason you kidnapped me and locked us in here?”

“Rose told me you were coming. And I saw you with her earlier, hating this.”

I was about to interject, when he said, “C’mon. Even as a kid, you hated parties.” He rolled his eyes. He sat down, cross-legged on the floor, stating his intentions of not leaving this room. I followed his lead. Now that I know what I got myself into, I was a little more relaxed.

“But this was supposed to be my chance to conquer that.” I replied, pleadingly.

He looked at me, his eyebrow raised. “Sure.”

He chuckled. “So, while we hide out here from the party, what do you wanna do?” 

“Don’t you think we should get back out there? Before Rose hunts me down and kills the both of us.” I asked, as he reached over to one of the shelves, pulling out a laptop.

“Don’t worry about her.” He said, looking back to the hole in the door. “We could watch a movie?” He turned the laptop on, the light almost blinding me. “Or we could play chess? Like old times. I have to warn you though; I’m no better than I was years ago.”

I laughed, remembering all the times I beat him at chess when we were little. He was such a sore loser, but that didn’t stop him from playing with me anyway. It was our game. “We’re at a party, and you want to play chess? What has my life come to?” He laughed, opening the chess application on his desktop. “As long as you don’t break anything when you lose, I’m game.”

He glared at me. “Challenge accepted.” We started playing the game, ignoring the loud background noise from outside. 

My first party in over eight years and I’m spending it in a broom closet with one of my childhood best friends, playing chess out of all things. Nice way to start my senior year.

We had been at it for hours now. Things started getting quiet outside. I knew we’d have to leave eventually, and I’d likely have to face Rose for disappearing during the party. As much as I hate to admit, I did enjoy myself. Sure, I’m not partying, but technically, I’m still at the party. And I was at said party for all of fifteen minutes… before I was unwillingly kidnapped and slightly voluntarily taken hostage.

“Check.” I said, getting my head back in the game. He murmured profanities under his breath as I giggled. A steady silence followed.

“Are you doing anything tomorrow?” He looked back at the laptop, taking his turn. “I’d like to take you out.” He trailed off, almost nervously. I bit my lip from answering. Was he asking me out on a -

“Maybe on a date?”

May 14, 2021 01:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.