10 comments

American Historical Fiction

1862 Missouri was safe for no one. It was a state divided by loyalties to both the North and South. One never knew if their neighbor was a friend or foe, and those who did, built up their own private militia's, and battled among the fields of their homes.

Still, many Missourians either chose to pretend nothing was amiss, or they used their daily interactions, as a front to gain information and send it off to whichever side they deemed necessary.

By all other accounts, it was a beautiful summer day, and a ball would be taking place that evening in honor of the Union Army marching through.

Elizabeth stared vacantly at herself in the mirror. Tonight, she would do her duty, if she'd done it once, she had done it a hundred times. Everyone assumed her father and brother were Union. Only she knew they had defected to Arkansas to fight with the Confederacy.

Few men realized the mistake of bragging to the ladies, about their exploits, and sharing vital battle plans. Tonight would be no different from the rest. Donning a silk ballgown, she made sure nothing was out of place, she was the epitome of elegance and grace. With a sigh, Elizabeth went downstairs. Uniforms and colorful gowns filled the spacious room, the music floated over their heads, like a fanciful dream. 

Surveying the room Elizabeth, scanned for her targets, listening to the conversations around her, those with big egos were usually the most gullible, finding a subject, she began to make her way across the room, but a gloved hand on her arm stopped her movements.

"Pardon me Miss, has no one yet asked you to dance?"

She had to look up quite a ways, to see her captors face, He was a Captain, with muddy brown hair, and hazel eyes, and he did not look the least bit gullible, but being a well informed officer, it wouldn't hurt to try.

"I'm afraid I wasn't inclined for this set, I'm in desperate need of refreshments, would you be so kind as to fetch me a drink?" 

"Of course" He smiled. "Then when you have recovered, may I claim the next waltz?"

"You are very kind, I would be delighted. In the mean time I'm happy to converse Captain, do tell me about yourself and your men"

He took the bait as she slowly sipped the punch, looking intently into his eyes.

"There's not much to tell, We've seen battle, of course, but that is a hard life, I do not wish to bore you with..."

"Have you killed many men?"

"That is unfortunately, the result of battle, but I do not care to keep track"

"You are a very kind soul I can tell. Where will you be headed after this fine evening?"

She did her best to feign interest, sugaring with compliments, and asking seemingly innocent questions, as to his whereabouts and plans.

"Hopefully I will remain here for the time being, I've not received new orders as of yet, and if I'm being perfectly honest I'd like to get to know you more"

He had answered truthfully, but he had a way, of evading important information.

"Have you been properly refreshed?"  Elizabeth nodded gratefully. He took her glass, setting it on a nearby table, and led her out to the floor. 

As the waltz began, he took the opportunity to begin questioning her.

"Tell me about yourself, is this lovely home yours? Do you have someone? 

"No this is my Aunts home, but I'm staying with her till my father and brother return"

"And Do you, have someone?"

"As in a beau? no, I could not bare it while this war continues" 

He leaned uncomfortably closer, whispering in her ear. "You needn't fear Elizabeth, this war will be over soon"

She pulled away in shock, not once had she offered her name, and she had never set eyes on this man in her life. Quickly she withdrew from his hold and the dance, muttering an excuse as she made her escape "Forgive me I need some air"

She dashed off into her uncles library, afraid she had somehow been discovered as a spy, She should have known, when he prevented her seeking out her target.

The door swung open quietly behind her, and was shut without a click, Her dance partner stood there.

"How do you know me?"

"Your brother. I'm sorry I startled you, I was getting tired of your little game, do men really fall for that?"

"I don't know what you speak of"

He took several steps closer. "Yes you do, listen Elizabeth, I'm on your side, Sam sent me to deliver you a message."

He reached into his breast pocket and pulled out a small envelope, holding it out to her.

Closing the gap, she stepped toward him, still somewhat wary, and snatched the missive, stepping back as quickly as she had come forward.

Unfolding the letter she scanned the contents, tears filling her eyes.

                  March 9th 1862

 Dear Elizabeth I pray this letter finds you safe and well, It is my deepest regret to share the news of our fathers passing, he was killed in action at Pea Ridge, I believe it was quick and he felt little pain.

I thank you for passing on the information of or enemy's movements. But I no longer think it is safe to do so, I've heard several accounts back home, how they have dealt with those siding with the Confederacy, and I fear for your life.

It is my hope this missive arrives to you safely in the hands of my good friend Jeremiah

      with Love  

  Your Brother Sam.

Jeremiah gave her a moment to process this information, as she stood there dumbfounded and broken, when the letter dropped dejectedly to the floor at her feet, he snatched it up and tossed it to the fire.

"No!" 

"I'm sorry but no one can find out, it isn't safe anymore, I made Sam a promise"

"But you are Union!"

"No I'm not, this is a uh...Borrowed uniform I took it from a prisoner. Sam wants you in Arkansas where it's safer"

"What will I tell my Aunt? I can't just leave!"

"You'll think of something"

With Jeremiah close at her heals, she quickly ran upstairs to her room, and began tossing things from her closet, just than her aunt entered the room, and saw the officer and her niece.

"What on Earth!"

Jeremiah struggled to come up with a plausible excuse why he was in a ladies room, but to his surprise Elizabeth was quick to respond.

"Don't worry Aunty Lynn, Jeremiah is my fiancée, we have been corresponding for months, since we met at the hospital, He came tonight and asked me to go home with him in St. Louis, and I've accepted"

Both Aunt Lynn and Jeremiah were surprised, but Jeremiah didn't dare say a word, Elizabeth was handling this well. 

"You can't just leave Elizabeth, we don't even know this man" 

"Both Papa and Sam did, they gave him their blessing on Papa's deathbed, and he has come to take care of me, we are going to the preacher and will be on our way."

Aunt Lynn was speechless, but there was nothing she could do, so she hugged Elizabeth tightly, and shook Jeremiah's hand "I wish you both the best" and made her way back downstairs. 

Alone once more, Jeremiah got over the shock of his announced engagement "You thought of something alright, I wasn't expecting that" 

Elizabeth stuffed the final garment into the bag. "Well, it's the truth, if you expect me to travel alone with you, we are doing it properly, especially if we wish to remain inconspicuous, it will be a marriage of convenience and no more."

Jeremiah shrugged in agreement, it could have been worse, he was ready to hogtie her and run, if she didn't comply, this was a far sight easier.

June 07, 2024 19:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Darvico Ulmeli
13:52 Jun 20, 2024

Love the story.

Reply

Hannah Foust
00:32 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
19:38 Jun 15, 2024

She took the news of her father's passing very well. Womderful flow, fast paced. Great job.

Reply

Hannah Foust
19:22 Jun 16, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John McPhee
17:31 Jun 15, 2024

Great story Hannah. I'm a Civil War buff and was hooked on it from the very beginning. I'm sure there were many marriages of convenience back then. Well done!

Reply

Hannah Foust
19:24 Jun 16, 2024

Thank you! I'm a civil war buff as well as a reenactor, so this theme was perfect for the prompt!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marshall Gothage
11:09 Jun 15, 2024

What a great setting to explore this prompt! This is a great start to the story, my only qualm is that I thought Elizabeth had just found out about her father’s passing, I’m surprised her Aunt seemed to know as well. If she didn’t, I’d assume the news would invoke a reaction from her. Otherwise, I enjoyed it.

Reply

Hannah Foust
19:28 Jun 16, 2024

I intend to make this a "suspenseful" tale full of intrigue, so alot of things are left unsaid, also keeping secrets are very important, especially living among unknown enemies. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
06:42 Jun 09, 2024

Interesting story! I would like to read more and see what happens next. Well done! Good plot, characters and dialogue!

Reply

Hannah Foust
12:00 Jun 09, 2024

Thank you! When I saw this prompt I knew exactly where I was going.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.