0 comments

Drama Fiction Funny

Adults like to prank around teenagers. The only problem is that they don't know when to do it. ..

Sir ...

selecting science as your stream was a big prank. Falling for it was kind of a physical comedy in itself. God dammit...

Excuse me sir...

bring 90% in your 10th exams and your life would be easy. Wow! Where do they bring this kind of jokes. I mean heck. My life has become messed up... Like a chowmin... Albeit a tasteless one-

EXCUSE ME SIR .

This time the waiter's voice was audible enough to bring sriram back to his present state , where he can stop staring at menu at least.

Do you want to order something asked ( the already tired) waiter . After all waiting for a customer to make his order only to find him staring at menu for last odd five minutes is not something taught at hotel mangement colleges.

I would like to have chicken chowmin ordered sriram (finally!).

The waiter went away steadily, leaving sriram with his own ocean of thoughts and opinions.

arts was a better option. Even commerce would have been suffice but no... That mishra uncle and... and that phy teacher... Ugh why did I give my number to him.. He did more damage to my passion than anybody else -

Pring! Pring! - there was call on his phone and of course he wasn't interested to answer, but had predicted (that too correctly) who it could be.

Better answer this one or face an aftermath of hundreds of questions when you go home.

"Hello mom. " said sriram by picking the first option, with a groan in his heart.

" so you can remain online all day but can't receive a call even after five missed calls? "

"did Mrs. Varma body shamed you again last night in yesterday's kitty party.? "

"Are you trying to check my tolerance level "

" can't you just come to the point straight,mom! "

"good.. because I don't want to waste time on useless fights "

" I am happy that we share a mutual cause "

"The durga Pooja holidays are coming and so do some imp guest. Dad will pick you up from hostel directly... And don't behave like last time.. Just sticking inside the phone and very unresponsive being... At least try to make some talk with them."

just like you did while choosing the stream.. Made me choose science even without asking..

"Are you even listening?"

"do I have any other choice? '

" why don't you use this humor in good way.. At least in an appropriate manner in front of the guests "

Sriram saw his chowmin finally coming and said goodbye to his mom .

Long but non-sticky , with well fried chicken and a good dose of ketchup made him remember why he likes the restaurant at the first place.

guests are just like these onions added to it. While onions increases it's taste... Guests just straight away spoil your mood or day.. In some dark cases your ENTIRE LIFE TOO! (example? Me of course)

It's really have been a long long time... I still remember that prize I got in class six for coming third in writing competition. Ahh... Those enthusiastic days. Decided at that time to become a writer. Now it looks like my whole life is a black comedy written by Shakespeare...

by the way what was the name of the book? It was something.. Shi..shi..

Suddenly there was another ring on his phone but from an unknown number.

" these random coaching institute calls reminds me of my mom nowadays "

He swiftly rejected the call, only to measure the fathom of sadness of his own world.

what if I had stood up to fight for myself... Could have faced a lot of resistance of course for not taking science... But then at least I would have at least written two novels by now... I not even getting enough sleep since I choose science or came to this hostel -cum - hell. All thanks to our early bird warden .

His anger resulted in gulping the food a bit more faster than usual. His eyes rolled over to t.v. where he saw the receptionist changing the channels randomly.

only if I could change my stream this randomly... Or even my boring teachers at least-

His thoughts were interrupted by a phone call again and it spoiled his mood.. Again.

"darn! Mishra uncle... Why on earth.. What is it now?.. "

Avoiding a relatives call(in India) can trigger a Star Wars -esque battle in your home, especially when you have a strict mother.

"hello uncle " said sriram

"hello beta (son) . First and foremost congrats ... Or what do you youngsters say... Um.. Yeah Congo !

...also Congo to you for putting me in pains by suggesting my parents to take science. Congo of course...

Felt very proud to see your name in the newspaper -

maybe my partial depression had made me a psycho killer who forgets his real identity in night. Now there's no escape! Lol!!

On that story section. I honestly never knew we had a 'secret' budding writer in our family. "

" story?.. I can't catch you uncle "

" your mother didn't... Oops... Yeah I forgot.. Looks like I spoiled everything.

yep you're expert in it after all. But what the heck is going on?

Well few weeks ago your mother just got hold of your old diary. Although not intended she just pipped into it only to find pages filled with lots and lots of stories. Some were engrossing and so she sent it to this newspaper company.

We saw this story coming out today in paper and thought of having a surprise Mini party this holiday... a surprise that I have already spolied

Don't tell it to her. Just pretend OK. It's just a man to man word. Again.. Yes congrats. Hope you succeed like this for your rest of your life. Bye and take care. "

Life has always unexpected events set up for you and it is our reaction that decides the course of life.

But then, some events are just unfolded so unexpectedly... You just can't decide what kind of reaction you want to give.. You can't stick around one emotion or expression to judge something... Because it is not basically about judging or reacting... This is about feelings.. Feelings you never thought or imagined or saw in your wildest of dreams.

Sriram was in this situation. And he will be in another own . Right now.

Ting! - came the Whatsapp notification, from the same unknown number.

" good morning. I am Debi Mohanty, your previous phy teacher in class 10 .

Hope my student still posses a sharp memory to remember me. "

"just saw and read your story in today's newspaper . I tried to contact you but your mom said that you have a new contract number after you shifted to new school and lived in hostel ."

" was surprised to see it though. You were always kind of a quiet kid those days "

" But still happy that you shared your talent with the world. May you grow and become contend in your life. Congratulations again "

He quietly put the phone away and started staring at his food now. But, this time his mind wasn't cooking up anything. He was more calm than he thought and he felt.

After some time he started munching again...the only difference, he wasn't just stuffing it up.. He ate steadily but calmly thinking that his chowmin tasted better than other days...

And yes.. Ah I remember... That book's name... It was shikari stories by the great Ruskin Bond. Was a nice book though... Just like this chowmin




September 06, 2022 07:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.