The closing order: doing Grandma Proud

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Horror Sad

DOING GRANDMA PROUD

(And the mother from hell)

Tanya had a rough day at the care home. She had just said goodbye to a resident and was set to go home. Although, as she knew, things never ran smoothly and there was always something else to take care of.

While walking the corridors saying goodbye to everyone, she spotted a young man, who she had not seen since last year.

She decided to go over to him to find out what he wanted. He looked at Tanya “sorry to bother you but I came here to say goodbye to my grandma,” he said, she was sure she knew who he was talking about. She sighed looking at him sadly, “do you mean Margaret Fletcher? If so then I'm sorry to inform you that she died an hour ago, but feel free to pay your respects. I am so sorry for your loss and so sorry you had a stressful journey. But I promise you it won't be a waste” she says getting out her phone “I just got to tell my husband to start dinner without me” she smiled slightly. The young man looked over sheepishly “are you sure? It's very late” he sighed, not wanting to bother her. Tanya smiled, “it's no trouble at all. I feel it's important to look out for grieving family members. No one should face this alone,” she smiled. “Your Grandma appreciated that you came all this way. She spoke very fondly of you before she died,” she sighed smiling a little “she left a cherry cake for the residents and there's some leftover if you fancy some. I can imagine you must be hungry after all that travelling,'' Tanya said, the man's face lit up, “Grandma's special?” He asked. “Of course” Tanya smiled as she led the young man to his grandma's room. 

Margaret had not long been dead. She still looked was just sleeping lightly. “Shall I leave you to it, Gareth?” Tanya asked him. He smiled, “you are Toby’s mum right?” He asked, she nodded.

He decided he wanted Tanya to stay as he felt a bit nervous about dealing with his grandmother's death and kept apologising for his emotions. Tanya told him it was understandable and not an unusual request. 

“Thank you, I'm so sorry I didn’t catch your name last time I visited Grandma,” he said wondering what this kind lady's name was. She smiles warmly, “Titania Flannigan, but everyone calls me Tanya,” she said as she noticed Gareth trying to keep a straight face. She was used to people reacting in jest over her full name. 

He smiled and looked at Tanya “I get called Gary,” he said as he slowly sat close to his late grandmother. 

“Well it's a pleasure to meet you despite these harsh circumstances,” Tanya smiled as she cut two pieces from the cherry cake, “if there's any leftover I can see if any of the other residents want any. Also, I hope you and Margaret don't mind me saving a piece for each of my children. They practically grew up on her cake, plus I owe Toby for volunteering to cook for the residents once a week,” she smiles, Gareth nodded and agreed, “so those scones I had last year, did he make them?” He asked her “well of course he did, he makes the best scones. So much that my husband sells them at the pub we own. I’m sure we have seen you there before, years back,” Tanya smiled. Gareth seemed interested “really? Well while I'm here I could stop by the pub. Is it the same place I used to go to for lunch when I was a boy?” he asked. Tanya smiles “yes it’s the ‘Flannigan Arms’ just opposite the church, same as always,” she stated smiling, “you may meet Toby, he looks pretty much the same as he did before you moved. He helps out a lot there to say the very least” she smiled knowing Toby was While they were talking, it appeared that someone was eavesdropping on their conversation. It was a middle-aged female who didn't seem happy she overheard the carer and it seemed like her blood was boiling. ‘the Death pub!’ she snarled under her breath. She had very strong opinions on the Flannigan's to say the very least. She despised them, especially Tanya. She had seen her at work on the very rare occasion that she would visit her mother, Usually to discuss inheritance, and she hated that Tanya called her out on it. 

She once insulted her son on his appearance not realising he was a Flannigan.

The unpleasant woman noticed the ‘knife' Tanya had in her hand. And decided to suddenly burst in and block her son.

“I caught you out you monster!” The woman seethed “you better stay away from my son! I won't let you do to him what you did to my mother!” She continues to rant. She started several accusations about Tanya and her family. Gareth puts his head in his hands as Tanya just stood there looking as cool as a cucumber and yawned slightly. 

“And your son's music stinks!” The mean woman yells at Tanya. Her eyes sudunpleasantly, as I work in end of life care you twit” Tanya scoffs. Linda, for once, was speechless.

Tanya exhales “now let me get several things clear with you Linda! I have only seen you three times in the 5 years your mother has been in our care. And it was obvious that you only went to visit her because you wanted to make bloody sure she was leaving you an inheritance and that priceless garnet ring you kept harping on about!” Tanya states as Linda tried to snap back but Tanya had no patience for her. Gareth was astounded but he secretly agreed with the carer. Tanya glares “you couldn't give a stuff about your mothers well being, even my former colleagues from the office have spent more time with her and they have hectic work schedules. I know that because I used to be their receptionist. The point being that poor Margo spent a lot of time in the main hall alone while watching other families interact with her friends. If it wasn't for me and my associates she would have lived, and died, alone” she scoffs glaring at Linda. “And you were so rude to my family and no one speaks that way about them. You got what you deserved when you were awful to Toby,” she smirks, holding her sickle “I mean no disrespect to your mother or son. But I see Margo's death as a blessing in disguise as I will never have the displeasure of seeing you in this care home again. And if I had my way, never see you again. For good!” she smirked as her ageing disguise wore off and she took off her cap and took her hair out of its loose bun as her hair grew longer and darker. Linda started to look very worried as did Gareth.

“Woah, what the hell even are you?!” Linda freaks out as Tanya gives her a twisted grin. “Well I'm a Death God, well Goddess in this case” she smirks at the now very alarmed woman.

. Gareth was also terrified but decided not to step in as Tanya aimed her sickle at Linda. Her eyes flashing yellow-silver, “I should end you right now!” Her voice sounded deeper and more menacing. Linda collapses to the floor on her knees breaking down in tears and begging for Tanya to spare her. She rolls her eyes, “not so tough now, are you? You disgusting woman!” Tanya retorts as her skin was a porcelain colour and flawless. She slowly lowers her scythe smirking “well, as much as it would give me great pleasure to get rid of such a nasty and despicable person. It's too much paperwork and the head admin would be having serious words with me. Plus I only deal with people who die of natural causes so lucky for you I've decided you are not worth me potentially losing my Career over. Plus I take slight pleasure in seeing you get what's coming to you” she smirks putting her sickle in her pocket as Linda and Gareth looked almost as white as Tanya did in her ‘true form’.

“Well now that I've made my point. I'll now have the pleasure of kicking you out of this care home. we don't tolerate people like you. And now your mother is no longer with us, I no longer have to put up with your appalling behaviour. Gary is welcome to stay as long as he needs but you must leave immediately! And don't you dare go near my family again or I won't hesitate next time!” she says, her voice deep and menacing. Linda didn't dare to argue back and just nodded gulping a little. Tanya returns to her aged look and puts her hair back up “ok so Gary, help yourself to this slice of cherry cake” she smiles, then she looks over at Linda “by the way I wouldn't get too excited about any inheritance if I were you. Your mother made it clear what her wishes were when it came to her possessions'' Tanya smirks as she actually was the main benefactor of the garnet ring. Tanya saw it as a final ‘middle finger' towards Linda from her mother as Margaret had put Tanya in the will instead of her ‘daughter’.

Tanya was considering gifting it to a former colleague who really liked the colour red. Either way, she was taking pride in Linda being humiliated yet again.

Gary sat down and sighed. He had no idea how to respond to the drama that had just unfolded. Tanya seemed to be a lot calmer and was back to her usual warm manner. “I am very sorry you had to witness that Gary. Your mother has been getting on my nerves for quite a while now” she said. Gary was still in shock but he could feel free to agree with her. “I’ve heard so much about my mother’s behaviour, one of the main reasons why I got as far away from her as possible” he started while taking a bite of the cake. Tanya giggles a little “I don't blame you” she replied. Gary looked over “I don't blame you for losing it with my mother. But I do have a few questions. Don't worry I won't speak of what just happened you clearly have enough to deal with,” he said smiling. Tanya seemed relieved “of course I guess I owe you that,” she said as Gary put the cake to one side “did you know...grandma was going to...pass away?” He said a little nervous. Tanya nods “the exact day and time. That's why I made sure everyone she knew was informed. But turns out your family didn't let you know so we had to contact you personally,” she said feeling bad that mistake meant he couldn't properly say goodbye to his grandmother. Gary seemed fascinated, “so that knife looking thing you carry around is a...what do you call it?” He asked. She smiled softly, “it's my personal death scythe,” she said as Gary was surprised this was happening. Tanya mutters and the scythe glows, “I warn you not to touch this when it's ‘active’ it will be the last thing you'll do” she said as Gary was astounded by what he just heard. Tanya looked at the young man gently, “and please try to avoid mentioning this. I fear people might get the wrong idea. But if you have no choice then I do understand” Tanya said softly. 

Gary had several more questions and Tanya didn't mind answering now he knew her secret. They talked for over an hour before he noticed how late it was. “It's past 10 pm I need to go back to my brothers,” he said. His brother had been away for months and had only just got back into town this evening. He was planning to deal with the paperwork tomorrow as he was busy with his children. “Of course say hello to Pete for me” Tanya smiled. Gary nods “I hope your husband isn't angry that I kept you this late,” he said feeling a bit bad, “oh it was no problem it was nice to spend time with you. I missed you. Don't be a stranger while you are here, Toby will be at the pub so call in whenever we're open” Tanya smiled “I’ll ask the boys to make your lunch on the house” she said as she got her coat. She goes over to Margaret who looked at peace “poor woman, I do apologise for this evening. I'm glad you didn't have to see it though. Rest in peace my love” she said as she placed a bouquet of tulips on the bedside. She shed a tear as did Gary “I'm going to miss her” she said and the grandson nodded in agreement “goodbye grandma” he said sadly. “Feel free to come back tomorrow” Tanya smiled “right now I got to go eat whatever Rupert has made for me,” she said. Gary was curious if her diet was different from humans but it seemed very similar. 

They both left the care home after saying goodbye to everyone and she walked with Gary to his brothers as it was on the way to her place. Tanya saw Pete by the window as he was worried about how late his younger brother was. He rushed to the door greeting Gary “I was worried about you. How did it go with grandma?” Pete asked as his young children jumped at their uncle. “Very difficult and dramatic no thanks to a certain gate crasher” Gary scoffs. Pete rolls his eyes “I'm embarrassed to call that woman our mother” he scoffs. Gary smirks “not to worry the senior care worker gave her a piece of her mind” he smirks and looked at Tanya who was slightly sheepish “we'll at least I told her” she smirked as Pete looked at her “I'm so sorry I missed grandma I was working aboard. I heard you were really kind to her while I was away. I don't get what my mothers issue with you is. I think she's losing the plot just a bit with those Flannigan family conspiracies'' Pete rolls his eyes. Tanya nodded “she was vile to my family but I've told her to stay away. But I'll see you soon I assume” she smiled “of course Tanya, I missed everyone while I was away” he smiled. Tanya gave a soft smile “oh your grandma left some cherry cake,” she said as Pete looked interested “brilliant I always loved her cooking” he smiled as Tanya checked on Gary for the last time “both of you feel free to visit also I'll put a word in with Rupert and he will give you a free lunch to offer our condolences,” Tanya said softly “on that note I really must go,” she said “take care lads,” she waved “we’re good Tanya, you make sure you take care of yourself,” Pete said as he waved goodbye.

Tanya started to walk back to her house. She knew Rupert would be waiting and it was already half 10 at night. She was at least an hour late for tea, although he never minded and was just glad she was back. Tanya got her key out as she made it to her home. Rupert had a roast chicken dinner ready and got a glass from the cupboard as soon as he heard her enter. “Hello, my love” he smiles, giving her a light kiss as he got a bottle of red wine out the rack and poured her a tall glass while she took her shoes and coat off. 

Rupert smiles as he hands over the large glass of red wine. “Dare I ask how your evening was?” He said softly. She gently takes the glass off him and takes a large sip, “hell on Earth” she replied.

May 03, 2021 23:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.