The Invisible Last Light

Submitted into Contest #23 in response to: Write a short story that takes place in a winter cabin.... view prompt

4 comments

General

There is a warm breeze that tumbles gently out in the winter time; when all else is so cold. It radiates from those who love and nurture as easily as they breathe. In truth, the sparks of warmth are always lingering no matter what the season, just like a warm rock blends into a summer beach, yet melts the winter ice. 


Under a dove grey sky the colours of my world don their winter coats, each hue darker and richer than before. The path sparkles and crunches, like sugar underfoot, and the coolness envelops me right into the now, right into the moment of life. Though the flowers are asleep and the trees reveal their lofty arms once more, a smile plays upon these cold lips. For as much as I love the summertime, I love the winter too. For every perfume of the meadow, there is the earthy loam of the newly-lit forest floor. 



My breath spirals out of my mouth into thick mist that consumed the bitter coldness that thawed at the damp, decayed surface.

As the trees grow thicker and the sky becomes darker, Nathan’s vision slowly exceeds to the limited amount. He desperately grapples to seek a path of hope, a light at the end of the tunnel. His legs aching for relief as he stumbles upon thick tree roots spread out like a tarantulas legs, the eerie sound of silence drumming into Nathan’s ears isolating him from the world. His senses gradually weakening. His heart skips a beat. Alas, a simmering light barely visible dancing to and fro above. Nathan’s eyes widen in excitement, his mouth half twisted in a wretched smile. 


One foot set forward, he limped towards the last light.

The dangerously slanted objects stalked Nathan as they followed him to the protector, once uElul yet ditched and deceived. “I had to go on that trip, didn’t I.” He scolded himself in raspy breaths. “Mom’s fault, why did she let me go on this trip.”

Ones shaky slip, the ground would no longer hold him up, ones weight would not clench on. The flight up the Rocky Mountain sent Nathan tumbling and stumbling. However as the weather ascended, he clenched his damp jacket, head down, he walked on.

You may not think of this, but the song, “It’s the climb.” would be extremely relatable. Miley Cyrus must have gone through this; if she can make it to the other side then so can I.

Finally, making it up the mountain, Nathan steadied his balance as he peered below the barrier. The distance rocks were discarded, sent toppling over into dangers clutches. Nathan had to be careful of the shadows, one snitch then he’d be needing stitches. Why was he thinking like that? Survival was down to the last breath.

Quivering, he ran his thumb over the open scar on his forehead. He needed to do this. Ellie was dead. She needed help.

Gradually, he made it to the top of the climb. Tugging his jacket closer, he sighed exhaustedly. The powdered shoes were shakes at repeatedly until they raked off, left to crumble in the numbing ness.

He came so far, he came to the end... he came to... He doesn't know. He never knows. Life is just too much for him to handle sometimes. His thoughts are too much, they consume him.

Little did he know, how he was breaking while he’s sleeping. Little did he know he was picking himself up day by day. Little did he know he was trapped in his...


Knocking on the door impatiently, He whistles a memorable tune. Where did he know that from? He continues whistling the tune until he turns up blindly.


There he lay on the ground where his emotions took over him. Effortlessly rubbing his eyes he peered up at the view. A dream, as he thought, he was mad. Too mad to be going through this. What was the last thing he was doing?


Walking up a hill. A rocky hill. Shakily looking up, there was no light. There was no house. There was no mountain. He hadn’t been in a car crash. He had been in a car crash when he was 17. Emily died back then, but who could blame him when he was stuck in an 11 years old mind..

January 07, 2020 22:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Brittany Gillen
23:52 Jan 15, 2020

An interesting premise, following someone who is trapped inside his head and lost. Very creative!

Reply

Yoomi Ari
17:12 Jan 16, 2020

Thank you! You’ve captured the right thought... which I thought I couldn’t see myself! 🥶

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
19:46 Jan 13, 2020

Great story! I love the twist ending! Good luck!

Reply

Yoomi Ari
23:03 Jan 19, 2020

Thank you! 😀 To add on, Ive read your stories and I find them very captivating and interesting! Keep up the good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.