0 comments

Crime Contemporary Fiction

I looked at the train ticket and again to the crowded seats in front of me. I sat down along with two men who wore blue suits and had suitcases.


I put my own in front of me and sat back. I patted my coat pockets to make sure I had everything with me. I straightened my tie and took off my hat.


The two men briefly glanced at me and turned away, hugging their cases to their legs. They might have been criminals, judging from their nervous seating position.


I patted my holster under my coat to make sure my gun was there. Soon, the train was set into motion. It sped up slowly as the scenery slowly started shifting.


I opened my case and took out a book from it. It was a psychology book I had picked up from the library. It delved into the aspects of criminology and the like.


 The man next to me shifted again, looking at the book. "Nice weather, innit?", I asked the man. He didn't answer but whispered something to the guy next to him.


The man grumbled and stalked off towards the back. The man turned to me, "Inspector, what are you doing here?" "Jacob! Imagine my surprise when I'm sent out on a lead on your family and you happen to show up."


"I have nothing to do with any of them. I'm going on ... other business," he said. "What business might that be?" I asked.

"Nothing to do with the likes of you," he said with venom.

"I see. By the way, your wife is doing fantastically. Your younger kid even passed the first grade!"

He snarled under his breath, "You will not touch them,"

"I don't plan to but you might leave me with no choice. I need a very small thing from you. Lead me to them."

"I cannot," he said and turned away.

"Ok. Perhaps this will motivate you," As I said that I pulled his file from my bag. I flipped the pages until I came across his profile.


I opened my pen and moved to scratch out the part where it said that he was a confidential informant, thus opening him for arrest. He held my hand just before I could.


"Fine," he growled, "I can lead you up to the house. How you get past them I do not know," "Fantastic, glad we could agree on something. Now if perhaps a window might be left open..."


He didn't answer and walked out into the aisle. I closed up the file and put it back. I sat back and continued my read until we reached the station two hours later.


I walked out just behind Jacob. I stayed far enough behind where I wouldn't be noticed by anyone looking but I could keep an eye on him.


He hailed a cab and I got in next to him. He whispered something to the driver and passed him something in his gloved hand. The driver nodded and started driving.


He closed a little window that partitioned the front and back. "How did you know I was going to be here?" he asked in a low voice. "You're not the only informant the bureau has," I said.


"Who?" he asked. "Fontina. Been with us for what, two years now?" I said. "Of course it would be her," he said under his breath.


We drove along the road for about an hour and I gleaned as much information as I could about Jacob's criminal family. I mapped out best I could the layout of the place in my mind.


We stopped at a hill overlooking a big house nestled beside a small river. I got off there and continued discreetly along the road to the house.


I attached a silencer to my pistol before continuing. I moved through a wooded area next to the house. I opened my case and pulled out a deconstructed rifle.


I constructed it for a few minutes and got out the set of tranquillizer darts. I put on the scope and aimed it at the guard at the main gate. 


I waited for the guy next to him to turn away and I fired. I was far enough to muffle the sound but still hit the targets. I quickly reloaded and shot the other guy in the back of the neck.


I slunk forward. I neared the wall surrounding the compound and scaled it till my head peaked it. I saw about seven guards roaming the property. They all walked in certain sections around the house.


I watched as the nearest guard neared the wall and pull out a cigarette and a lighter. I climbed down and went near the front gates.


I threw a rock across the stones and soon enough Smokey was there. I loaded a tranq into my pistol and fired. He dropped and I dragged him out and piled him with the other two.


I scaled the walls again and saw another guard near the gate, a curious look on his face. I raised my pistol and shot him. It hit him straight in the eye and he fell with a short yell.


I quickly dragged him out just as I heard footsteps approaching. Three of the guards showed up. They had hands on their rifles' triggers.


They walked out collectively and I rounded the corner of the wall on my side. Soon enough I saw one of the guards pass by me.


I pulled his leg as he turned and fired a dart straight into his throat. He tried to fight me but soon fell into a slumber. I peeked around and saw one standing at the gate.


I fired but missed and it passed in front of his face. He sharply spun around and saw me there, crouching with a gun in my hand.


He shouted into the radio on his collar before I shot him. I heard running as the rest of the guards came to the gate. I sat against the wall and checked my ammunition.


I was low on darts but still had my magazines stored in a pocket. Two of them came around the wall where I was hiding.


They saw at the same time I saw them and swung their rifles. I shot one of them as I rolled away. The crack of their rifles was jarring.


He continued firing and got a lucky shot off as I made for the wooded area and hid. The bullet had penetrated my left bicep.


I tore off a strip of my coat sleeve and wrapped it around the wound tightly. The others came as he was reloading. They fired their automatic rifles into the trees. I ducked as low as I could and waited.


When they stopped I peeked and shot one of them in the shin. Three of them were left but one dart remained. I reloaded as their salvo began again, closer this time.


I tried to blind shoot one of them but missed. I ruffled through my pockets and loaded the pistol with a magazine of actual bullets.


I managed to shoot two of them while they reloaded. They fell with groans of pain. They would survive but wish they didn't.


The guy stopped shooting. I peeked around and saw that he wasn't there. I moved away and into the trees in case he was flanking me.


Sure enough, I heard a shot as he shot behind the tree where he expected me to be there. I shot him but my aim proved too good. It took him in the head and he fell with a splatter of blood.


I cursed and headed off to the house. The wounded tried to grab onto my legs but I shook them off. I looked at the main door but it was non-existent.


The ceiling was collapsed and the doorway was buried, preventing entry. They were sure to have an underground escape from there.


I walked around the house and looked for an open window. I saw one on the east side and climbed till there. I climbed in and was greeted by Jacob.


He was shifting on his feet and was looking at the door constantly. The room looked like a maintenance room with multiple cleaning instruments and boxes.


"Did you have to be so loud?", he hissed as soon as he saw me. "Not my fault," I replied and he led me to the basement, drawing looks from the panicked house staff.


A man was guarding a tunnel but Jacob shot the man without any apparent provocation. "Always wanted to do that," he said.


I followed him through a maze of carved tunnels. A few of the deeper ones were waterlogged. Eventually, I heard footsteps.


I saw a whole host of people ahead. The people in the front dressed in finery and the people in the back in guards' uniforms.


Jacob went ahead while I crouched behind the adjacent tunnel's wall. He went behind the line of guards and pulled out an M4 from a hidden holster on his back.


He sprayed the backline of guards and I joined in with a pistol. In under a minute the place settled again. Jacob was shot twice in his stomach but he appeared to be alive.


I pulled out a phone and sent out a call for additional officers. They followed us from the station and were stationed where I had gotten off the cab.


I tried to help Jacob as best I could and kept the family under gunpoint. Even criminals didn't have any heart to pull a gun here, where it ricochet and hit anyone, including themselves. A few of them were injured by ricocheting bullets.


I moved through the crowd until I found the guy I was looking for. He was just below the rank of Godfather. He was the one responsible for the murder of my wife.


He panicked as I approached and tried to bolt. I shot both his knees and he fell with a cry. The others gasped and cried out but none of them stopped me.


He was on his back. "This is for Luci," I whispered as I shot both his shoulders. I reloaded and shot him once in his groin. One other tried to pull me off but I turned and shot the person straight in the face with absolutely no regrets.


I turned to my wife's murderer and emptied the rest of the magazine into his head, my head a mess of emotions. Tears slid down my cheeks.


I heard heavy footsteps and the few officers that had found their way approached. An hour later, the family was arrested, assets seized and Jacob saved.


The captain approached me, "You were told not to kill anyone." "They were unfortunate collateral damages," I said. "What about Joaquin? That didn't look like an accident," he said.

"I delivered justice as is my job, nothing more."

"I understand-"

"You understand NOTHING," I shouted, unable to control my temper. "None of you do. I did what was right, the bastard deserved it."


The captain stopped trying to talk to me and handed me a cup of tea and walked away. I stalked away from there and went on the riverside.


I watched the scenery, the tall trees and crystal-clear water. I tried to remember there was beauty in this world as the sunset over the beautiful scenery.


April 20, 2021 10:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.