Trapped

Written in response to: Set your story in a type of prison cell.... view prompt

0 comments

American Drama Mystery

In the midst of a misty night, the haunting hoot of an owl shattered the silence, causing Michael to jolt awake from her deep slumber. A surge of fear gripped her heart as the eerie sound reverberated outside her humble abode. Her trembling hands reached for the phone, and she urgently dialed Max's number, her boyfriend, seeking solace in his presence. With a quivering voice, she implored him to come over, terror still clutching her like a vise.

Max, concerned for his girlfriend's well-being, wasted no time and rushed to her apartment. He arrived at her doorstep and rapped it with urgency, but no one answered. Minutes felt like hours as he stood there, growing anxious. Finally, a faint voice called out to him from inside, but it was muffled, distorted, as if coming from another dimension. Mischaal's pleas for help seemed impossible to pinpoint.

Mischaal was no stranger to such unnerving dreams. She had recently relocated from New York to Las Vegas and had been working at the MMT company for a year. Her apartment was small but impeccably clean, a reflection of her meticulous nature as a software engineer. Max, whom she had met at work a year ago, was not just a colleague; they had kindled a deep romance that had blossomed in the months they spent together. However, the tranquility of their relationship had been disrupted by Mischael's recurrent nightmare of an owl's ominous cries, accompanied by an insatiable thirst that left her terrified and unable to sleep.

Night after night, she'd wake up in a cold sweat, reaching out to Max for support. Yet, when she shared her tormented experiences with him, he often dismissed her fears, opting for laughter and nonchalance. But tonight was different.

As Mischaal prepared to head to work, an unforeseen intrusion shattered her morning routine. An intruder doused a cloth in chloroform and thrust it over her face, rendering her unconscious. When she regained consciousness, her reality had transformed into a nightmare.

Max, now standing before her with a sinister smile, was the harbinger of her terror. But it was the presence of John, a long-lost friend from high school, and his wife that sent a shiver down her spine. She found herself immobilized, paralyzed by the unfolding nightmare, unable to process the madness that surrounded her.

Hours later, Zoye and Smith, her high school classmates and partners in crime, arrived, their laughter echoing ominously. They revealed their sinister intentions, exposing the tangled web of deceit that had ensnared her. In high school, John had secretly harbored feelings for Mischaal, but Smith's audacious proposal had altered the course of her life. A deceitful affair with Smith had left her heartbroken, and in a twisted turn of events, John had seized the opportunity to profess his love. But Mischaal's eventual move to Las Vegas and her relationship with Max, John's own brother, had further fueled their resentment.

Zoye, who had quietly harbored her own unrequited love for John, had grown resentful of Mischaal's ability to capture their attention. Max, on the other hand, was motivated by a desire for Mischaal's wealth and coveted her property. The convoluted web of deceit was a toxic brew of unrequited love, envy, and greed.

As the truth unraveled, Mischaal was horrified to learn that the people she had trusted the most were conspiring against her for financial gain. They left her imprisoned, shackled and hungry, as they plotted her demise, driven by their insatiable thirst for her inheritance.

But as Michael awoke from her trance, she found herself back in her apartment. She went about her daily routine, heading to work as if nothing had happened. It was only when she returned home and retrieved a diary filled with photographs of John, Zoye, Smith, and John's wife, along with a conspicuous absence of Max's photo, that the gravity of her situation began to sink in. She descended into the underground, where she discovered Max bound to a chair.

Max's eyes widened with fear as he begged Mischaal for mercy, but she brandished a knife, ready to exact her revenge. Just as she was about to strike, Zoye emerged from the shadows and intervened, freeing Max. They fled the scene, leaving Mischaal bewildered and alone.

The authorities swiftly apprehended Mischaal and committed her to a mental asylum, as it became clear that she suffered from a complex dissociative identity disorder. Her elaborate fantasies and delusions had spun a web of betrayal and vengeance, where her other personalities sought retribution for the wrongs committed against her.

Unbeknownst to her, Zoye had survived the chaos, having distanced herself from the gang after John's death. Mischaal's delusions had led her to believe in a grand conspiracy that never existed.

The chilling truth behind Mischaal's torment emerged slowly, exposing a history of bullying and manipulation during her high school years. John, Zoye, Max, and Smith had formed a close-knit gang that tormented her, culminating in a brutal act that left her pregnant and emotionally scarred. They had callously betrayed her, believing she would never return to haunt them.

However, their sinister past returned to haunt them when Mischaal, consumed by her twisted alternate persona, sought vengeance. In a grisly spree, she systematically exacted retribution on each of them, severing their fingers and limbs. Her apartment became a house of horrors as she executed her vengeful plan, only to be haunted by her own twisted fantasies.

It wasn't long before the police uncovered the truth of Mischaal's multiple personality disorder, with one persona seeking justice and another trapped in a nightmarish delusion. The enigmatic Stessy played the role of Michael in the film adaptation of her story, which, fittingly, became a sensation. Alexander, the fresh producer who discovered the potential in Robert's gripping tale, found himself at the helm of a blockbuster.

Robert, the struggling writer, transformed into a celebrated author and found love in Stessy's arms after dating for several years. The film's success catapulted him to newfound fame and fortune, and his once-elusive dreams had come true. In the end, Mischaal's chilling tale found a permanent place in the annals of Hollywood, and justice, in a strange and surreal way, had been served.

October 13, 2023 18:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.