My mother told me that she should be the one marry to my husband.

Submitted into Contest #52 in response to: Twenty minutes before you are about to get married, you find your mother and your fiancé kissing passionately.... view prompt

2 comments

Romance

She has been playing with my head for a long time, and I did not know that it was not normal what she was doing until I have my children. When I was very young, she showed us her private part, and that picture stayed with me. I asked my sisters if they remembered what she did, and they answered yes. I would not do something like that to my daughter because that is not normal. I managed to get married at thirty years old because in my culture if you are not married, that would mean something is not right with you. Although my future husband and father of my children were coworkers at the hospital, and he was in love with his wife; however, she left him. He was heartbroken, and we felt sorry for him because he loves his children so much. Before his divorce, he dated a hot nurse in the hospital, and they even went on a ski trip with his sister and brother in law. After he broke up with the nurse, he started to pursue me, and we played around at the hospital. Eventually, we got married, and we raised four children; he was not a nice man when he was under pressure, especially financially. My mother used to come to visit me often, and I told her about my issue with my husband, so she said to me that I was too sweet to be his wife, and she should be the one that married my husband. She also told me that my husband told her when he becomes a millionaire, he will not give me any money.

I did not mind what she said to me until I got divorced, and my ex-husband tried to destroy me. All during the traumas, my mother continues to tell me things that would hurt me; she said to me that my ex-husband was going to take my children. We had shared custody of the children and lost my home, and he tried to get full care of them. He lied and put a restraining order on my name. Thank God eventually, I explained myself to him, and he understood what I said. I told him he is the father of my children, and I would never hurt my children's father because I lost my father when I was seven years old. He took the restraining order of my name, and I am sure that his new wife convinced him to put the restraining order on my name.

My mother also told me that my children knew how to deal with me because they left me. I think my mother is either bipolar or has behavior issues, and we denied the clues because it is better that way. She was always close to my then-husband; she even told me that I need to cook for him every day because he will leave me for another woman.

My mother tried to copy almost everything I do. If she wants to be me, therefore she needs to experience what I go through. She needs to experience hot flashes, which will help her to stop being cold and depress. She is going to feel the heat in her blood because of sickle cell anemia. She is going to open the windows in her bedroom because she is hot. She is going to understand what I went through and how come I like space. She will be kind to people and stop being so mean because she will feel how it is to have low blood counts, and she can not donate blood. She will keep her thoughts to herself since I have my own life to live. My mother already lived a full life, and she is a strong woman.

My mother got married three times, and each of her husbands died; my father died first, then my stepbrother's dad died in Haiti, and my youngest step brother's also died. I am not sure she was met to be a mother or wife to anyone because she does not like people.

I used to think she was a strong mom because she was six months pregnant when my father died now, my siblings, and I have to be on our toes and be aware of her behavior. If she does not get her way, she took steps to show how upset she is. The recent event during this pandemic is she wants a new fridge, but the store can not deliver right away. She got mad and took all the pictures of her grandchildren down from the shelves and put them upside down in a pile. She is so spoiled and thinks that life is all about her. I went to sit down to do my school work when I noticed what she did. She made a statement; she made her point.

She did not care that I have school work to do. My emotion got better of me, and I thought that I would spit in her coffin when she dies because no one knows how interesting she can be. I fixed something, so lovely, and she went and tore it down. She also complained to my aunt and other people that I gave her problems. Thank God people already knew her behavior; therefore, they do not believe her. The issue is I stay with her because I need to finish school, and since I helped her to raise my siblings, I just need this time to finish school. One of my sisters tried to dismiss her behavior because our mother is paying her rent for the cottage, and that sister and her husband moved to another town, and she does not invite my mother over her house. At least my other siblings do not agree with her not invite our mother to her house, and my youngest sister already knows how our mother can behave at times. My brother also knows how she can be because she disrespected him right in front of his wife, and he was so upset with her.

July 24, 2020 18:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ggfhf Vkki
11:04 Jun 02, 2021

My fiancee left me 3 months ago because he was having an affair with another lady at his work place, he fell in love with her and stopped talking to me no pick my calls, I love him a lot and I could not take the pain and heart break so I had to look for help from the internet then I came across reviews of a specialist who can restore broken relationship/marriage, I contacted him and told him my problem and today I am Glad to have my fiancee back with so much happiness . ________________ Contact this man for a solution to relationship/mar...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keerththan 😀
06:55 Aug 12, 2020

Nice story. Good attempt for a first story. Keep writing, Marie. Would you mind reading my story “The secret of power?”

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.