2 comments

American Fiction Romance

On the spring of 2012, I married Julie the woman of my dreams. Due to my nerdy nature, i never thought I could get married. We moved to a new house and a year later, she delivered a baby girl. She is an Engineer, while I work as a artist. I work mostly at home so naturally, i take care of our daughter.


Five years later, she became busy due the project she was working on. I needed her attention and also try to take care of our daughter. As usual, she gave me 'she was busy excuse' and saying she brings more income to the home. That I admit, I am just asking to create some time for us as a family. She flared up and tells me that she will be travelling tomorrow.


Mercy, her younger sister studying in the state University, visit us during the holidays. On arrival, we welcomed her and we all had dinner. She shared her university life as well, I shared my achievements. She was pleased with my painting gallery.


Next day, Mercy poured a drink for me while I was paint. How do I manage the home with my wife not around. I'm a man I said, then she laud me for my selfless attitude. She says she will care for Barbara and I should focus on my work.


At night I woke up, to get water and when I got to the kitchen, I was surprised to see Mercy eating cereals wearing bikini's. You're awake, care to join. I asked if it is hot in here. She said no, why do I ask? 


I was short of words.


On Saturday, we all went to the park. She was very playful, full of life and rocking those jeans and has a beautiful smile. I took a nap on the couch, when we got home. I woke up due to Barbara and Mercy laughing. I wonder is going on. As I asked, Barbara said I snore alot. I walked away feeling shameful. 

I tuck her to bed and read her bed time story. Some seconds later, Mercy joined us. My daughter asked us: 


where is mommy?


I told her that mommy is coming back soon with some gift. She hugged both of us and slept. I walked her to her room and telling her I can also tuck her to bed and said goodnight. She says;


'if I am lonely, I should let her know'.


After she took Barbara to school, she walked to me unnoticed and grab my waist. She joined me in wetting the garden. She asked if I watch movies, which I don't. Coming closer to me, she gave me the tickets for us. So, I asked what kind of movies. 


it's a surprise!


I insisted, she says "okay" and sprinlked water on my shorts saying, that is the surprise. I sprinkle water on her chest and she ran off. We were both wet and I raced after her in the garden. As I caught her, we fell to the ground. Time became slow as we faced each other. I was moved to touch her hair and reach her inviting lips.


I resisted!


At night, we all had conversation during dinner, in which Barbara says she likes Mercy. I called Julie saying Barbara and I misses her. She will be coming home about a month. I went to the sitting room as she took Barbara to bed. It was chilly so she ignited the chimney. We sat close to each other, drinking wine talking about our lives. She took off her shirt and I was stunned. I tried to resist but l, was overwhelmed and we made love.


Feeling awkward the next day, she laughed as I apologized.


why are you laughing?


She kissed me and says I should appreciate her instead. Later, we went to the cinema and had a nice time, before coming home at night.


A month and few days passed, Julie came home. She was happy to see us as Barbara hugged her. Mercy twinked her eyes at me and I was scared. I met her in private not to tell her. She agreed. 


The next morning, Mercy came to me in the kitchen saying she needs me. I asked why? Then my wife entered. I went out to meet some friends in which one of them announced he is getting married to his long time girlfriend. I was happy for him then I remembered my wedding day as well as the day I cheated. 


"I was confused"


 I came home late and drunk. My hardworking wife scolded me as I went to bed.


As the daybreak, Mercy hopped on me and i pushed her away. She said I should relax because she's gone. 


I was weak to resist the temptation!


Some weeks later, I started to grow courage to ignore her advances. I started giving attention to my wife. We noticed that Mercy's stomach is bigger. I became tensed as my wife asked her, if she's pregnant and who's  responsible. She smiled and said her boyfriend Nate is responsible. 


Mercy went back to school and told Nate. He denied the pregnancy and told her to abort it. She called me and told me i am responsible for the pregnancy. 


'My day just got better'.


I disagreed with her, then told her not to come to my home. 

Few days later, my wife gave me flowers while I clean up the house. Immediately she gave me the flowers, she tells me of the pregnancy. I pleaded with her to forgive me. I received a slap. We quarrelled that night, then out of nowhere she says I should leave her house. I went over to my best friend Brad and spend the night. The next morning, I went over to pack my stuff to stay in my mom's house. I was bitter with what happened and the way my mom scolded me. Although, I am happy to see her.


My mother came to the backyard, to see me drawing. Upon seeing her in pains, she fainted and pronounced dead in the hospital. Three weeks after the divorce, I received a letter issuing a divorce and I was crushed. 


We went to court and she says the reason, is that I cheated on her and made her sister pregnant. The judge is Nate's father. He said we should do a paternity test which was negative. Mercy confessed that Nate is one responsible and we divorced officially. 


I became a sad, lonely and depressed. I sit at home all day, crying and asked myself, why didn't i go to college to be an engineer so that I become the breadwinner. I go to clubs and get home drunk with women. It feels as if my world is crashing on me. 


One day, I took a stroll in the park, there I met a Megan who is a spiritualist. She seems friendly so, we greeted and started conversation. She usually sees me around. She talks about my drinking, visiting brothels issues so, we became friends. Sometimes, she visits my home and have a good time, gives me advice and encouragement. Even at night, we watch television. She does this so I don't go to the brothels. 


Few months later, my life improved. I focused on my job as well as side hustle. Megan and I went to a new restaurant and I got emotional and talked about my former marriage and my daughter. She as well, talks about her younger boyfriend.


Boyfriend! 


I was surprised because she was in her late forties and there is a nineteen years age gap between them. What's more surprising is that, we spent the evenings together. She advised me to visit my daughter. I haven't seen my beautiful daughter in a while. Her boyfriend drove in and harrased me after escorting her home.


After that incident, I visited Julie so as to see Barbara.


Daddy!! Where have you been? 

I've been busy my love.

Julie was pissed then told her to go inside. Barbara protested, but I told her to listen to her mom. A man dreesed formally came out of the house and kissed Julie, saying he is going to work.  

I see you got yourself an handsome man. Anyway, I told her I will take Barbara for lunch tomorrow. She agreed with difficulty. I got a mail saying an actor is interested in my paintings.


Yes.... I am back on track. My life turned around for the best. I bought a new apartment. I got calls every now and then l from high profile individuals placing their order.


I am living the dream!


On December 21st, 2018 is Julie's birthday with yuletide in the air. A day like this we travel for relaxation, watch movies in a luxurious hotel. The winter brings us together especially in the bedroom - that's how we got Barbara. Now Julie is no more, those memories cloud my mind as I slept off unhappy.


I saw Julie on my way to meet Brad. I ran towards her. I didn't know what to say and I said;

Happy birthday Julie, I wanted to say I love her. 


She says: stop!


The wind blew exposing her face, I noticed a pink eye and her voice was coarse. I asked 


who did this? 


She murmured and saying, it's an accident. Why didn't you tell me. Why do you care, you ungrateful man. She walked off. At Brad's residence, I told him what happened. He says that he has a friend who works in her company and gives him feedback. She's going through a lot because of domestic violence in her home. 

I took barbara out for an ice cream when Julie wasn't at home and asked how mom and her are doing. She became sad saying her lover beats her every day and they always quarrel. I assured her, its going to be alright. I gave her an address to give mommy telling her it's urgent.

I waited for her in a coffee shop for hours. I left thinking maybe, she's angry with me. On my way I saw her nervous, looking depressed. The gap between us became shorter. We entered the coffee shop and I tell her I know what's going on. I asked her why she haven't report him to authorities. She tells me that she relies on her husband. 


What about her job? 


She was fired some months after the divorce and was duped by her lover. She works as a waitress for now so how would she take care of Barbara if she reports? She asked. 


Are you happy with the relationship? She replied no

I told her I can take care of Barbara. She became apprehensive. 


Are you going to live like this forever? Where is that smile and cute face I see every morning? I asked.


She began crying and I sat close to her and cosoled her. I said 'If she needed help, she should let me know'. We stroll together that evening.


On the day of yuletide, I missed Barbara then took my daughter to the restaurant where Julie works. We had a beautiful family. After closing, we walked the streets like a family. I apologized to Julie and Barbara for what I did. Julie smiled at me and we hugged. As we hugged, she was crying and asking why I didn't say that earlier. Sorry, It's okay..... Please don't cry. I was happy our relationship is building slowly. So, I tell her let's start all over. She stormed off.


The following year, I made money and started a business and bought a car. I called Megan and told her about my progress and thanked her and I invited her for dinner. I was taken over by her beauty as she arrived looking very stunning ; wore a black dress revealing her top and her seductive shape like a model. We talked at length, flirt and I joked about doing anything to have her beauty tonight. We went to my home and our skin rub one another. We discussed how our future looks like. She says she does horoscope reading for business. Things were going positive for us. We toasted to a better life. She exposed her top but I resisted the urge. I can't lose Julie again. I thanked her for coming and escorted her out.


I went to the restaurant where she works. Megan was there and we exchange greetings, with a warm hug. I saw jealousy in her eyes which indicates she have feelings for me. We chat for a while before she left. As usual, Julie wasn't happy and said you have a new girlfriend now. I wanted her to say she loves me but was egoistic. I ate, showed her my ride before going to work. I visited Megan to start a relationship together since her pimp boyfriend is gone.


Sometimes, Megan and i visit Barbara making Julie annoyed. We go to the restaurant have fun. I loved it when I placed my order while flirting with Megan. I proposed to Megan, and Julie cursed me and left the restaurant weeping. I followed her to the house just to find my daughter injured and Julie beaten. I wrestled with her husband. No one would believe such a man can be this cruel. He injured me with a baseball bat. Then he set the house on fire.


I took Barbara outside and went back for Julie. I poured water from the sprinkler on my body and went into the fire. While I was bleeding, I carried her with all the strength I got to save her. Few seconds later, resting on the grass, she says 


"Why do you hate me when I always loved you?"


 Barbara is fine and Julie thanked me after she regained her consciousness the following day at the hospital. While we held hands, she says I behaved like a man when I saved her'. Megan visited us at the hospital and Julie was covered in sorrow. I told her that nothing is going on between Megan and i. It was all a pretence to get her jealous. Megan affirmed it and tells her how much I love her and I've learnt my lesson.


Megan pulled the ring from her hands. I proposed to Julie giving me that smile that gets me every time. She reached for my lips and kissed passionately as Barbara hugged us.


Her now, ex husband was sentenced. Another good news happened - Brad and Megan wedded having two kids. 


We became one family, happily ever after.


October 23, 2020 12:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

John Jenyo
09:33 Oct 26, 2020

Thank you Alina for your wonderful comment. I'm glad I received the comment, so that I can improve. Please it will be of much help if you can highlight the mistakes. Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
ALINA Manha
06:43 Oct 26, 2020

The story was good. But had mistakes in it and the sentence formation can be improved. Just giving you some advice so please don't take it in a wrong way. 😅 But overall the plot is good, it has a lot of potential . And if the mistakes are corrected the story will be great. 🙂 Hope this helps. I too, make a lot of mistakes so no problem.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.