2 comments

General

“Hey Audrey,” you say to the girl that you have always wanted to talk to. You are afraid that she will ignore you. She turns your way, and you know that you have her attention. Satisfied, you continue. “Would you like to meet up at the park with me and some of my friends for a picnic tomorrow- Saturday-at twelve?” She agrees to your proposal, smiles, and walks away. You breathe a sigh of relief; it went better than you thought it would. You watch her walk all the way down the hallway and turn the corner. She’s so pretty, you say to yourself. She's not self absorbed and she's beautiful. You sigh. One of your friends  taps you on the shoulder and says something, but you don’t hear it because you're too busy thinking about Audrey. 

You subconsciously follow your friend to your next class. You sit down near the front. Your teacher says something which could be important, but you don’t care at all because Audrey is coming to the picnic and Audrey is the most beautiful being on earth. Your friend  nudges you and looks up at the teacher. You stare at them confusedly, and then realize that you were asked a question. You have no idea what class it is, so you blurt out the number ninety-two on a whim. Your teacher surprises you by saying that it is the correct answer.  You realize the question was, “what year did Christopher Columbus sail the ocean.” You're really glad that you got it right, because you know that the teacher is not shy of taking points off for getting something wrong. 

You dream about Audrey through the class. You wonder if she had ever dreamt about you, even though you know the likelihood is very low. You close your eyes and lay back in your chair. You are really looking forward to that picnic. Finally, the bell rings. You get up quickly, gather your things, and bolt out the door. It was the last class of the day, and you are really excited to get home and start getting things together for the picnic tomorrow. You get on the bus and find an empty row. You move all the way over to the window so that if someone wants to, they can sit next to you. Who knows, it could even be Audrey! Your jaw drops as Audrey gets on the bus. It’s like she just glides on, in slow motion with her hair blowing in the breeze. She is so beautiful, you think to yourself. Before you even realize what is happening, she is asking if someone is sitting next to you. You dreamily reply with a no, so she smiles and sits down right next to you! This is turning out to be the best week of your life. 

Audrey's stop is one before yours, so you decide to get off at her stop to walk her home, which she hinted at throughout the ride.. Her smile is so warm and contagious that you can’t help but smile back. Once you get to her house, she tells you that she is looking forward to tomorrow before walking inside. You flash the biggest smile you ever have given someone at her back and start walking to your house. 

When you get home, you bake a few things and put them in the fridge so that they will stay fresh for tomorrow. You smile, thinking of Audrey, and start to work on your homework, which doesn't seem very hard. You are getting distracted easily, though. The only thing on your mind is Audrey. The way she treated you today, you feel like she could like you just a little bit, which happened to be all you needed to get through every single day of your life cheerfully. 

As the night goes on you decide to go to bed early so that you would have a good night's rest for the picnic tomorrow. As you slowly fall asleep you have a huge smile on your face. You know that tonight you are going to have wonderful dreams of Audrey at the picnic tomorrow. after all, what could go wrong?

You wake up the next morning at ten thirty. It is later than you expected to wake up but you still have plenty of time to put the finishing touches on all of the food. You get it all prepared by about eleven thirty, which is a perfect time to start heading to the park. Before you leave, you quickly check the weather, which says that there isn't a storm cloud in sight. You smile and start heading towards the park. 

When you get there you set everything up in the blink of an eye. Everything looks great: there are pies and a whole turkey, along with sandwiches, drinks, and little cookies. You look around and see that no one is here yet, so you walk around for a little bit. Everyone starts to arrive after a few minutes, but Audrey is nowhere to be seen. You start to think that Audrey was not going to come, which led to panic. This whole idea of a picnic was so that you could have a good time with her! A few minutes after twelve, the panic calms down. Audrey was just a little late.. Maybe it's cool to be late these days. Girls are weird with these things, but you didn't care, because if Audrey likes it so do you. Everyone is having a good time. You feel very proud of yourself, as you planned this whole thing with no help. 

You and Audrey are in the middle of a conversation when you think you hear thunder . You pause. Audrey asks if there was something wrong, but you disregard the noise and say no. You hear it again, and before you know it, it starts to downpour. Everyone runs for shelter in different places. You run to the nearest shop, look out the window, and, not for the first time, think about how wrong the weather forecast had been. Now, your perfect picnic is completely ruined. 


June 21, 2020 20:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ella Kinnett
22:33 Jul 01, 2020

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Edie P
22:12 Jul 01, 2020

Aww cute, I like it! Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.