Springing-Free From Covid Isolation on Day Train Ride Journey

Submitted into Contest #90 in response to: Start your story with someone sitting on a crowded train and end it with them looking out over beautiful natural scenery.... view prompt

0 comments

American Contemporary Fiction

Whew. Relieved and so proud, I slid into the very last empty seat on the first train that the city has allowed to take on full-passenger count since the pandemic froze travel. It looks as if I’m not the only one anxious to break-free of all the constraints that Covid-19 has caused to be put on basically everyone in the world. It’s been a long 14-months of restrictions and periodic near-total confinement that has made seemingly everyone want to burst back into normal living. The thought of taking the train to anywhere causes my heart to leap as my face breaks into a face-hurting smile. 

The woman next to me shares a warm and welcoming smile. “Irma” is her name. Winter was too long for her, as a recent widow. Her husband died of a heart attack during the night in their home. She is grateful that he didn’t have to get treated in a hospital, with no family support allowed. Medical Examiner told her that he hadn’t suffered and death came without his being aware of it. For this she was grateful. Mourning continues. 

“After 45-years together, my other half is gone. It’s too lonely and I miss him so much. This is a train-ride that we were planning to take. I just had to continue with our plan, and know that Jake is with me in spirit.”

Much of the rest of the tour, Irma sits in silence with her own thoughts while she stares out the window. I say a silent prayer for her grieving process.

Noise abounds as travellers delight in getting out of the too-long housebound routines that we’ve been maintaining. This noise is pleasant, anxious and ready to explore all that we have been missing out on for way too long. 

“If you missed the train I'm on…” begins to sing a senior seated in the second row of seats. Within seconds, the entire car is joining in. Now, I’m not about to sit quietly. The contagious enthusiasm is too powerful to not join in. No, we aren’t traveling “500 Miles” as written by Hedy West and sung by many, but most notably by Peter, Paul and Mary. We are traveling high-in-spirit. At the end of the song, an ear-piercing round of applause and cheer leads instantaneously into singing, “Hail, Hail the Gang’s All Here.” The two-hour journey promises to be anything but dull. 

All the singing has scared babies screaming, as Mothers attempt to calm them. Giggling little tykes are dancing in the aisle. A few young adults with EarPods or headphones are buried in concentration with their cellphone or iPads, ignoring the commotion. Some shake their heads in disbelief.

The two men seated behind me must need hearing aids as they shout back and forth detailing memories of their youth as they reminisce. 

“I remember when the transistor radio came out and we had to wait until another order arrived at the store. They flew off the shelves as soon as they were unloaded,” the first man shares.

“That was about the same time as the bikinis hit the market and the young girls flocked to get one or two or more. My sisters were three of them,” the other man brags. “Those were the exciting days, they were.”

While it is joyful to observe so many jovial individuals, the train surely isn’t the place to be for one seeking solitude. 

About an hour into the journey, farms began to fill in the window’s scenery. It shouldn’t be a surprise to hear the outburst of “Old McDonald Had a Farm,” to the delight of the youngest population, whose untrained voices chime along. 

The river that had been in the distance now curves and runs alongside the railroad track a couple hundred yards away. Its presence prompts another impromptu outburst. This time, it’s, “Row, Row, Row Your Boat.”

No movie crew could produce more entertaining scenes than those that I am observing. Most unusual were the absence of arguing, physical confrontations or rudeness. Passengers are congenial and gregarious.

When I can actually hear the clacking of the train’s wheels along the tracks, it becomes apparent that the noise has died down. Eyes are focused on taking in the tranquil, gorgeous scenery that nature displays for our enjoyment.

Fall is at its peak. Golds, reds, yellows, varying shades of green and some brown leaves and entire trees dot the countryside. As an occasional deer grazes in the distance, children exclaim, “Momma! Look a deer!” The hum of the train’s wheels over the tracks continues. It has even lulled babies to sleep. 

“Look!” A delighted youngster points to the baler that is rolling hay into 1,000 pound bales. The bales are left in the field until the baling was completed. Such a scene prompts several discussions among parents and children about what the hay was used for and why it is rolled into such huge bales. Grazing cows dot some farms, while sheep occupy space on other farms. Odors from the farms permeate the train’s air. Some groan, while others delight in nature’s beauty.  

It is the horses that draw the most attention. “That’s a beauty right there!” Most eyes turn to the other side of the train to witness an elegant shining black mare prancing with its head held high. 

A young lady, perhaps about 6 years-old, exclaims excitedly, “Is that Black Beauty?” Her Mother quietly answers her.

The corral provides much exercise opportunity for the mare. Other horses meander about their respective corrals. A posted sign on the side of the farm announces trail riding lessons are offered at specified times daily. 

My imagination can picture what these farms and country towns must look like during Christmas season. Halloween or Fall themed-displays greet us as we pass through the area. Scarecrows; wagons filled with hay, pumpkins, various squashes, and colourful leaves provide beautiful decorations for the lawns, barns and along fences. 

Soon we reach our destination, a country-style gift shop and restaurant. Each has an opportunity for an hour to explore the goods, dine and/or walk the grounds as they so choose. I walk through the gift shop, eyeing all the unique items and wondering just who I could pick up a birthday, thank-you, or graduation gift for. Nothing jumps out at me. Instead, I grab a cola and ham and cheese sandwich and find a huge rock next to a Fall display. It’s a perfect spot to eat, enjoy nature’s beauty and people-watch. Children are exercising in the playground. Some parents are, too - a couple mothers are swinging while a few fathers are challenged by the climbing wall. In all, a good time seems to be had by all. 

When the train’s whistle sounds, people flock from all directions to reach their assigned seat before the train pulls out. While some continue to enjoy the window scenery, many simply settle back, close their eyes and rest as the clickety-click of the tracks provides a rhythmic background hum. Within an hour, the journey will be a beautiful memory, and perhaps a new friend or two.

April 18, 2021 22:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.