2 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama

“Joel stood up and was about to leave the reserved room at the Payee restaurant, when suddenly a loud sound of a glass crack interrupted his movement. Turning back to find his mother on the floor with the juice spilled on the floor beside her.”


It’s around 2018, when Joel was announced to be the upcoming successor of the family business by his 65 yrs. old grandfather. Mixed emotions filtered around Mr. Bake’s living room, where all the family members were present. Joel stood there with a very surprised expression on his face, as if he wasn’t expecting the news at all.


Later during the day at the Lim’s house…


“Mom I don’t want to become the company’s successor, please tell grandpa.” Said Joel Lim


“My son, why does it seem like you are not excited for this big news? And let me give you a piece of mind. There is a reason why your grandfather chose you for this big title and there’s no way I will be relaying your message to him.” said Joel’s mother


“Mom I am no good, I wasn’t good at my studies and I got suspended a few times at school, so why would I be the one to run a big business like that. Even my cousins are better than me, they should be the ones chosen instead of Me.” said Joel


“Son, what your mother said is right. And don’t let your past define you. Your grandfather knows the reason why he chose you, and will probably say it soon. You don’t always need to be perfect to run a business sir. Did you see the jealousy that that was worn by your aunt’s face? Because her son is intelligent, goes to a good university and is by far, the one who most family members thought would be the Bakeson Technician’s successor. Said Mr. Lim


The day went by, with thoughts pondering over Joel’s mind on why he would be chosen to be the Bakeson Technician Company’s chairperson. Of course he was by far the best when it comes to thinking smart amongst all his cousin, but not that super smart like them, plus got in trouble a few times at school which was a few years ago.


He was now at Clemson University doing his 3rd year on the Computer Science course, which he was forced to do by his mother, even though his father wanted him to pursue a business course for incase he gets chosen as the successor. Joel as he is, refused.


A couple of days later Jo gets a text from an unknown number;

“You know why he chose huh? Because he pity’s you, all your cousins are better than you. Making you the successor is only to help lift your status and become better than them.” unknown sender.


There was sadness on his face as soon as he read the message, wondering who would send that. He didn’t save his relatives contact numbers, just a few which are closer to him. But this message seemed like it was from his aunt Maggi, his father’s sister. Aunt Maggi is well known for her rudeness and jealousy in the family and could easily turn black into white.


After a long day of school he went with his parents out for dinner, and showed them the message he received on his phone. His parents where shook and managed to find out who that number was for, unfortunately it was for his uncle Banda, who is Aunt Maggi’s husband.


“Just ignore that message, but bear in mind that you are the chosen one no matter what they say. It just wasn’t their luck this time around. I think you will be experiencing more of this when you’re the chairperson.” Said Mr. Lim.


A few weeks later…


The day that Joel’s parents have been waiting for, has finally arrived. Joel’s inauguration ceremony is being held at the Bakeson Technician Company hall. There are a lot of people who have been invited to witness this special moment. There is a VIP section for the guest of honors and family members. Some family members do not seem to be enjoying this exhilarating moment, instead they have grouped up and gathered together as if they are discussing something very important.


Joel stands there with his best friend cousin Emma, who is trying by all means to make him cool about the situation, and giving him all the tips in the world to overcome haters. Looking at the way some of his family members have been reacting to the news of him being successor of the family business, he had to be prepared by all means of what is going to happen in future.


Standing at the podium is Mr. Bake, and is about to announce the big news once again to the public to make it official. Everyone is listening attentively, just right about when he was about to say Joel’s name the lights in the hall went off. People shouted, while others screamed since they were afraid of the dark especially children. Security guards came with torches to provide some light in the hall.


Since there was now some light in the living room, some people were visible. Mr. Bake went to Joel’s dad to ask where Aunt Maggie was, as he thought she is the only person who would cause such a dramatic scene. As far as he remembered, there was never such an incident that has happened before at the Bakeson Technician Company. A few minutes later the electricity returned.


Mr. Blake had to apologize for the inconvenience caused that was unintentional. But looking around Aunt Maggie was nowhere to be seen together with his son Ash. The ceremony went well and Joel was announced the incoming chairperson by his grandfather, he really did not like the idea but there was no way he could turn down his grandfather.


A month later another meeting was held at Mr. Bake’s house. It was to address issues that were arising and where a threat to Joel since he was the chairperson.


“I do not understand why you are still tormenting my son Jo, I chose him because he was the perfect fit for this title. Jo is a very peculiar child, in terms of thinking logic and he would make the best out of Bakeson Technician Company in every way. Please stop torturing Joel with your hatred caused by jealousy, it is very childish.” Said Mr. Blake.


5 months later Mr. Blake is diagnosed with the 2nd stage of Leukemia, he is visited by a lot of people at the hospital every day, ever since he got admitted. When Joel came to see him at the hospital, he was so glad. Ever since Joel was the chairperson he’s been busy and ended up pausing his course, because he could not handle them both and just arrived from a business meeting in Hong Kong, China the same week he was admitted to the hospital.


It’s been hard for Jo to run the business, he receives more threats to resign from his position and the only people who were helping him was his grandparents, since they were the elders in the family. Mr. Blake was lucky enough to get better and go back home. The company ran successfully and made more profit than before, now Joel was praised more by his grandfather.


A year later was the most tragic for Joel. He was involved in a car accident and spent a month together with his grandfather in a comma, unfortunately Mr. Blake passed on. No one really understood how the accident came about and for Joel, he had not even a single memory about the accident, he couldn’t remember anything and was most affected by his grandfather’s death.


Later on at his grandfather’s funeral…


“He did it, he killed his grandfather so that he can take over the whole company!” Shouted Aunt Maggie.


Everyone looked at her, when she was talking to her husband. The guilt that came over Joel was clearly visible as tears came down his face. His grandmother Nana came to comfort him together with his parents. They were very mad and emotional, so no one said something about what Aunt Maggie has just said.


A month later after the funeral, Joel still doesn’t remember what happened exactly on the day of the accident. There is more tension in the family, the relatives who abhorred him for being chosen as the chairperson, now sided with Aunt Maggie. It was hard for him to do his work because messages kept popping up that he is responsible for his grandfather’s death.


Later that day he called his cousin to prepare a family dinner reservation at Payee’s restaurant, he explained to her that he was going to announce that he did not want to continue the long-standing family business, it was really hard for him to carry on with it and he couldn’t bear it. Emma supported her cousin in every way and knew how hard things were for him.


At Payee’s restaurant after he announced that he did not want to continue the long-standing family business and was about to leave the room, his mother fainted. Mrs. Lim was rushed to the hospital where she was admitted due to shock. Joel, his father, Nana and Emma’s family stayed at the hospital waiting for her to wake up, they had also forgotten about what happened before she fainted.

Mrs. Lim woke up, and went straight to search for Joel with her eyes as if she had been dreaming about him all along. Joel saw her mother open her eyes and rushed to her.


“My son why are you letting those people torment you to an extent whereby you are willing to resign?” Said Mrs. Lim.

“Mom I cannot bear with this anymore I have to let them have what they want” replied Joel.


Nana told Joel that there was no way he was resigning and even if he did, he would be the owner of the Bakeson Technician Company as written by his grandfather on his will, which was to be revealed next month.

November 27, 2020 22:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kevin Leonard
23:24 Dec 02, 2020

Hi Faith, I'm here from the Critique Circle. This was a nice first story! I'm glad you submitted it and I hope you continue to submit to the writing contests. It was a nicely layered and detailed story. One piece of advice I would give would be to vary up your dialogue tags a bit. Most of the time when someone says something in your story it ends with "Said the person". This is perfectly fine, but I think it can be improved by adding more variety. Switching it to "the person said", using more descriptive dialogue words, or adding actio...

Reply

Faith Mwale
06:39 Dec 03, 2020

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll keep that in mind and make sure to use it in my next story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.