2 comments

Contemporary Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Ashley checked her makeup and stunning blonde hair, smiling at her reflection in anticipation of the summer days and nights ahead. Her teen sweetheart was coming home for his holidays from that final year at college. Ashley had her expectations of Calhan, the tall blond sporting hero.

Ashley and Calhan had been titled "The Twins." At the time, they dressed in similar clothes, laughed at the same jokes, kissed together, had explored their earlier fumbles together. They were expected to marry when Calhan graduated as an architect, when he returned home. This was their time, before reality set in.

Ashley's father had offered such a top student as Calhan a position as an intern, highly paid, in his own firm. Old Dad fully anticipated their rounds of golf, drinks and dinners at his club, a junior version of himself, designing similar top of the range housing estates, a couple of rich, good looking and intelligent grandchildren.

Calhan arrived back in town on his usual bus, went to visit Ashley first. She expected him too. His hair was neat, his threads were polished casual, hey, he was the town star. It was his last summer, he knew he was supposed to produce a ring and propose, then start discussing their very expensive wedding.

Ashley expected romance, and was quite a practical chick. She hauled Calhan to her bedroom, and proudly opened her top drawer. She had emptied it especially for Calhan to place some socks and jocks there. Yes, this final summer, sleepovers were permitted. She was offering the sure promise of an empty drawer, just for him.

Calhan gulped, suddenly horrified. But he laughed, "Let me get home so Mum can wash my socks, bit smelly!" Ashley did not smile, this marriage was for real. This was Calhan's future, all planned, to march to Ashley's tune, in a large box of a house, expending his creative inspirations on designing more look-alike housing for look-alike couples. "Who is this going to please?" he asked himself.

Ashley had always been the dominant influence on their romantic ideals, full of bridal veils and designer everything. She might be regarded as a big fish in a town small pond. It was the way she had been brought up, fulfilling look-alike fantasies, She was quite happy that way.

Calhan suddenly had nothing to discuss, and left shortly, making more excuses to get home to his parents. His mother emptied his bag of all his sporting lingerie, the washing machine gurgled on. His father had found him a holiday job, delivering flowers for the town florist, that was okay.

Calhan welcomed the freedom of being on the road, turning his phone on silent, making his customers smile as he produced on their doorsteps. Their happy looks of surprise was very delightful. Ashley was very miffed, but Calhan was trying to sort his own dreams now, his world had been broadened by college insights.

He really dreamed of travelling while he was still young, seeing other lands, seeking ways to house the world. He had inspirational ideas about eco-friendly homes, sustainable habitats and sources for structures. Ashley only wanted to chatter about her plans for him, their long-term expectations ahead seemed so shallow and mundane. He did not express any of his doubts to Ashley, he did not really want to rock her boat. It was not the done thing, there in town.

One bright summer midday, his floral tribute delivery was a giant bunch of roses to a small apartment, far away from Ashley. He knocked, reading, the lovely card, "To my talented star, Happy Birthday, Madison. Love from your Dad. XXX"

A petite brunette in a purple long frock responded to Calhan's smiling greeting. Her flashing emerald eyes liked what she saw, in more ways than one. Spontaneously, she invited Calhan in to celebrate with birthday drinks and nibbles. Fires lit up instant desire, her flat had flickering candles, very mood music, a black cat gazing at him. There was a pot of something delicious on the stove, as Madison invited Calhan to sit down right down and relax, as she was reading his horoscope, and hers.

Yes, Madison proceeded to weave a spell on young Calhan. She firmly believed she had witchy vibes, and her gifts were for the world. She planned and predicted great things, like unity for her land, and peace for all the days of their lifetimes. One might say Madison was content in her own pumpkin patch, and was not even surprised when this handsome man had appeared at her door.

Their fling continued, as Ashley did not suspect a thing. Calhan had to keep it to both of these beautiful young women, so different. He felt like a really divided Casanova, with two birds on a string. All that summer, his nights were full of love, desire, secrecy, trying not to muddle their names in those passionate moments. He was getting very exhausted. Sometimes he had a night off, at home in his childhood bed, catching up on his sleep.

Madison's horoscope and second sight told of their parting, but she had shown him another path for his calling, to give back to the greater world, until he too was content.

Summer ended, it was time to look at his own future. On his last morning delivering flowers, he silently left large bunches of roses for both Ashley and Madison, with fond cards, saying. "This has to end now, it is not you, it is me. All the best for your future."

Ashley was a bit upset, but at least she was not pregnant. She had always been realistic, she set her cap at the most successful young real estate agent in town. She did marry well, a very photogenic bridal display.

Madison always kept up to date online with Calhan's brilliant career. He did take off to travel the world after his graduation. He had learnt a lot, using compacted hard plastics to build affordable homes round the planet. He was a tree hugger's pin up hero.

Madison had taught Calhan a lot about free expression. On his tours of other lands, he left behind many women with lots of reasons to smile. His housing estates he constructed were for the greater good of the planet, his motto was always, "Smile and be kind."

His summer fling one day sent him an email, hoping it would land over there in the third world. Madison, of course, had pursued her magic spells, and sent her vibes to Calhan. He did wonder about turning back, but could Casanova really fall in love with anyone? Would it always be fond thoughts of learning, only one long fling? We should all check our horoscopes, just to be sure........

July 22, 2024 18:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Timothy Rennels
11:48 Jul 29, 2024

I liked the line "It was the way she had been brought up, fulfilling look-alike fantasies" Perfect response to the prompt!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
19:33 Jul 22, 2024

Make of life what you will.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.