0 comments

Fantasy

Cedric’s plate armor sat piled atop his folded tabard just inside the entrance to the cave. He’d done the honorable thing for his horse of sending it off. If he returned soon, the horse would be waiting; if not, it would find its way home.

Half a mile farther down in the cave, Cedric leaned against the wall of the vast cavern and sighed. He laid his spear and sword next to him on the ground and shook his head. “Oh, my dear, dear Gwendolyn.”

“I’m sorry, Cedric.” The deep voice came from the other side of the cavern. “I—I didn’t mean to.”

“I know,” Cedric answered.

The owner of the voice moved across the cavern toward Cedric, the small fire in the center shining off her golden scales. She moved close enough to lay her fine-scaled head, the size of two horse heads, on Cedric’s lap. Her bright yellow eyes reflected the flickering of the fire as she looked into Cedric’s. “Must it be so?” she asked.

Cedric scratched the ridge above her nearest eye. “You were to hunt only in the wilds, and not to bother with the settlements. Why did you—”

“I was so hungry. The king’s huntsmen chased all the game out of the foothills.” Her gaze bore the semblance of pleading. “For three weeks I hunted without success. When I saw the slow-moving horses pulling their load, hunger took over, and I had finished the first before I could comport myself properly.”

Cedric patted the heavy head that lay on his lap. “That horse was one of the king’s favored draft horses.” He lay his arms across her head and leaned forward to lay his head on hers. “I warned him that flushing all the game to his preserve would cause problems that he couldn’t foresee but the young king rules at his own whim.”

“All the game?”

“As much as can be got. You’re not the only one who was hungry. The populace began petitioning to hunt on the king’s preserve. He grew tired of declining their requests and ordered the huntsmen to drive the game back to the hills.”

“Still, must you? If the game is coming back, I can return to my normal hunt,” Gwendolyn said. “And how would the king have responded if a hungry bear had taken his horse?”

“He would have sent a huntsman to bring him the head of the bear. The huntsman would have just brought the head of the first bear he came across.” Cedric sat back up and began scratching over her eye ridge again. “Difference is, since you’re a dragon, he sent a knight. You are the only dragon for days and days of travel. I don’t know whether it is a boon or a curse that he sent me.”

“A boon, for certain,” she said. “I would not be happy without the chance to say farewell to my dearest friend.”

“Nor would I.”

“I will leave here,” Gwendolyn said, “fly many days south and find a new home.”

“That would the preferred action,” Cedric said. “Though my life be forfeit should I return without your head, I will happily make that trade.”

She reached forward with a clawed hand the size of Cedric’s torso and laid a careful finger on his shoulder. “You and I should flee together.”

“Would that I could, dear Gwendolyn, but it is not to be.”

“Why?”

“Do you know what happens to a knight that betrays his lord?” Cedric grabbed the finger on his shoulder. “At least, if the king demands my death, it will be quick. My presence as a knight-errant would only further endanger you.”

“I do not like this,” she said. “How is my life worth more than my friend’s? I do not wish to cause the death of my friend.”

“You speak the truth we both face. Would that I could convince the king that you are no threat.” He sighed. “I tried, many times but could not get through to him. But…I have sworn to honor, and to lay down my life for my friend is the highest honor I know.”

“You belittle the vow I have made,” Gwendolyn said.

“Pray tell, dearest friend, what vow have you sworn to?”

“Do you remember our first meeting?”

“I could never forget,” he said, “the day a small boy got lost in the hills and wound up between a bear and her cubs. You came down between us like a golden angel from heaven.”

“I made the vow, then, to you.” Her eyes closed half-way. “Do you remember what I said?”

“You said, ‘You are protected,’ then led me to the road.”

“I would be breaking my vow to let you suffer harm for my sake. I must pay the price for my mistake, and you must return to your king with his prize.” Her large hand slid back toward her side.

“What weight a vow against my soul?” he asked. “I can no more kill you than I could kill my own kin.”

“I won’t make you,” she said. She shifted her weight with a rumbling grunt, her pupils dilated, and tears began to well in her eyes. “You forever have my love and respect.”

Cedric reached down and found his spear missing. “What have you done?” He looked at the bulk of her body laid out along the wall and saw a growing pool of dark liquid shining in the firelight.

“I have protected you, body and soul. You are without sin, Cedric. Would you please stay with me until—”

“I am here for you until your light goes out,” he said, tears blurring his vision, falling and joining the tears of the dragon.

She held something between two claws and offered it to Cedric. “Take this and remember me.”

He took the offered scale she’d removed when spearing herself. “I will remember you for as long as I draw breath, and my children and grandchildren as well.”

Her labored breath rattled in her chest, and pink flecks of foam came from her nostrils. “I’m sorry, for leaving like this. I fear I will no longer be able to protect you.”

Cedric watched as the light went out of her eyes. Her head lay heavy on his lap, and her breathing stopped. He closed her eyes and wept.

September 23, 2023 19:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.