The Last Atlantian

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Write a story involving a character who cannot return home.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Fantasy Coming of Age

Farion sat in his fishing boat, waiting to catch some fish in his fishing net. Farion sitting still for almost an hour and a half, combined with the gentle rocking motion of the waves of the sea combined with boredom had Farion just about to fall asleep when he felt a tremendous amount of give pulling on his net. He hoisted the net with all his might and whooped in delight and excitement when he saw all the many fishes entangled in his fishing net. Farion brought his haul back to the shores of Atlantis when his pregnant wife Stellana greeted him at the docks.

Stellana hugged her husband to the best of her ability, considering her bump. "Welcome home, my husband! The Gods must have smiled upon you!" she declared.

"We will eat well tonight!" Farion said.

Farion sold most of the fish, then cooked the rest with flatbread and a green salad for supper for himself and his wife.

Falion and Stellana were amongst the few Atlanteans who still were humble and generous. Most of the populace, to the disgust of the Gods, were greedy, narcissistic and spoiled by Atlantis's bounty.

Falion and Stellana were awoken at the very break of dawn by a small bright glowing orb.

"Listen well, Farion and Stellana of Atlantis. I am Poseidon, the God of the Sea. We Gods have decided to punish the selfishness of most of the citizens of your small island nation, tomorrow evening the mountain above our city will explode and burst into flame and smoke, and the island of Atlantis will be swallowed by the sea! You are still humble and have empathy, so you and others have been given warning in advance. You and the other chosen few must flee the island for the mainland!"

The couple got up and went to the docks to board a boat.


At that moment, the ground trembled.

The Residents screamed in terror.


So the chosen few Atlantians got into a boat, they took only what they needed, such as preserved foods.

As the boat containing the refugees sailed to the mainland, the tremors from the earth caused the Ocean to churn and lap violently. The boat had been only a couple hours away from docking at the mainland when the waves capsized all boats except the boat Falion and Stellana were on, the last boat continued to sail onward, determined to get to the safety of dry land. The captain pushed forward. Farion and Stellana were so close that the shores of the mainland could be seen with the naked eye when a wave was about to crash into the refugee boat.

Falion and Stellana's boat was sent barreling towards the shores by Poseidon's rage. Falion and Stellana fell overboard.

Silence.

Darkness.

Numbness.

Stellana had woken up in a daze on a beach. There were three little boys standing over her, but she was far too weak to ask them what their names were or where she was. So she gave in to exhaustion and went back to sleep. When Stellana woke up again, she was on a sleeping bag under a roof in what appeared to be an inn.

The Innkeeper and his wife walked in with a doctor. The doctor said "She's awake? I thought you told me she was out cold."

"She was when we found her like this, Doctor" said the innkeeper's wife.

"Where am I? What's happening?" Stellana asked, confused.

"Hmm, well, she seems to be fine to me, pregnant, but fine!" said the doctor.

"Three little boys found you unconscious on the beach and ran back to tell the adults, and the adults brought you here to rest and recover." explained the innkeeper.

"So how did you get here?" asked the innkeeper's wife.

"I came here by boat..." Stellana then remembered something important. "Where is my husband? Where is Falion?" she gasped.

"Falion? Husband?" asked the innkeeper's wife.

"You were the only person we found washed up on the beach, miss. I'm sorry." said the innkeeper. "Stay the night here on us."

Stellana cried into her hands, but she managed to say "Thank you for your generosity."

At that moment, there was a loud boom and intense trembling. The four people went outside to see a thick, tall column of black smoke coming from the horizon on the ocean.

"The Volcano on Atlantis must be erupting!" said the doctor.

The eruption was so forceful that after the Volcano blew, the island was swallowed up by the sea.

The next morning, Stellana went into labor, the innkeeper fetched the doctor. Hours later, a healthy baby girl was born, but Stellana died giving birth, so the innkeeper and his wife adopted and raised the girl as their own, naming her Sajra.

The years passed, and Sajra grew into a beautiful young woman. Sajra overheard her parents one night talking about the Volcanic Eruption that caused her mother's home country to collapse into the sea. One day she confronted her parents about it.

"Mom...Dad....am I adopted?" Sajra asked.

There was an awkward pause. Sajra's father broke the pause.

"Sajra, 18 years ago, your parents fled a great calamity across the sea when a storm claimed parent's refugee boat, your father was never found, but mother Stellana washed up on the shore when she was pregnant with you, some kids playing on the beach found your mother unconscious and ran to the city to tell the adults. So a group of people brought her to my inn and fetched the doctor, when she woke up, a volcano on the island she was from erupted so forcefully that the island the volcano was on was swallowed up by the sea. The next day, your mother died giving birth to you, so we decided to take care of you for her from that point on." 

Sajra hugged her adoptive parents.

"Thank you for telling me the truth. I love you both."

A few days later, a travelling young Prince stopped into the inn looking for a place to stay when Sajra was working the desk. The Prince was overcome by her beauty.

"He-Hello, I'm looking for a room to stay the next three nights. I-Is there anything available?" asked the Prince.

"Yes, we have a room for the next three nights." Sajra was charmed by the handsome young Prince.

"I'm a Prince from a kingdom in the northeast. My name is Zagreb. And you are?" greeted the prince.

"My name is Sajra. Nice to meet you!" Sajra greeted.

"I've just visited this city. Would you mind showing me around?" asked Zagreb.

"Sure! Mom, Dad, can I take a break?" Sajra asked.

"Go ahead, dear! Have a good time showing Zagreb around!" said her adoptive mother.

So Sajra walked Zagreb and his bodyguards around the small city showing him all the points of interest. When they found themselves at a Cafe near the border outside the city, a decrepit man who looked like he was wandering desperately looking for civilization in any way, shape or form walked into the city limits and fell onto his knees on the ground, crying in gratitude.

"Sir, are you lost?" asked Sajra.

"Yes. 14 years ago, I fled my doomed home country by sea when my boat was capsized, and I washed up on an unknown small island. Some Fishermen found me fishing on the water's off that island's shore, and brought me back to their home country on the mainland, and I've wandered the land looking for my wife Stellana ever since..." replied the lost man.

"...Father?!?!" Sajra gasped.


June 15, 2021 00:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Unknown User
21:23 Jun 22, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Marie McLaughlin
21:26 Jun 22, 2021

Thanks for the feedback. I wish I could still implement the changes you suggested, but it's too late now

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.